Getting iphone 3G - Sick of Blackberry Storm

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
You know what...

What are your thoughts so far? Would you have attempted posting in forums from your Storm?

I really like this. Now, as far as posting in forums from the Storm: That is painful to get work. Mobile Safari is just so much better. I can't access my bank website or my work benefits website from the Storm. Opera mini on the Storm is fast, but it flakes out way too easily.

talljason

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
I definitely agree about the memory management. I had to remove the majority of my apps, like Viigo, Facebook, and Shazam...just to make sure I had enough space that my Curve wouldn't quit throughout the day. I've only kept IM clients, Twitterberry, and the Bolt browser. And the blackberry browser does suck, big time. I've switched to using just the Bolt browser.

For now, I'm just waiting until this summer for iPhone 3.0 and hopefully the third gen iPhone to come out.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I definitely agree about the memory management. I had to remove the majority of my apps, like Viigo, Facebook, and Shazam...just to make sure I had enough space that my Curve wouldn't quit throughout the day. I've only kept IM clients, Twitterberry, and the Bolt browser. And the blackberry browser does suck, big time. I've switched to using just the Bolt browser.

For now, I'm just waiting until this summer for iPhone 3.0 and hopefully the third gen iPhone to come out.

That time will be here before you know it. Just hang in there... :D

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
if i were you guys id just wait until they announce the next gen iphone in june. i would be pissed if i bought an 8 gig iphone then a month later learning that there comming out with a 32gig high res , super fast , thinner unibody iphone hd lol... just sayin

Good point,

That being said I'm still glad I switched away from the storm. I'd rather have an older iPhone than the Blackberry Storm.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
i too ditched my storm for an iphone it actually went storm to bold because vzw had no up to date BBs besides the storm and i have always admired the iphone so today i returned my bold for the iphone best thing i ever did since i am a huge apple fan and use all mac computers at home :D

tfalsetta#IM

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Email on the Iphone

I currently have the Blackberry curve & am using the BB destop Manager to forward emails from my laptop to my BB. I do not have access to a BB Server. If i get the Iphone how does email work. I noticed i can use ActiveSync. Does Active Synce have the ability to forward emails to the iphone?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
BBs and iPhones are very different, but the Storm is by far the worst phone RIM has ever released, and probably one of the worst touchscreen phones available.

I love to look on the BST forums on different sites and see the prices of storms just plummet. Then you get one schmuck that thinks someone will pay $600 for his Storm. Yeah okay. lol

Either way - the Bold is a solid device, but it too can lag if you don't reset it every so often. That's one thing that still gets me about BBs. They release App World when their phones can't even handle running that many apps.

USN Jet Mech

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
sniff, sniff.....good by VZW

If I had a dollar for every Storm owner who eventually bailed on that device for an iPhone...

Add my dollar to your bank. I purchased the Storm on black Friday(not intending to, it was just available). At first, it was okay, not stunning, but okay. After a couple of weeks, an OTA update came out, and it was working a bit better, but NOTHING like on the commercials.

This past weekend, it crashed no less than 5 times, and this was my thrid Storm replacement. Additionally, the battery would not hold for more than 4-5 hours, I also have a very nice collection of those.

So, I went to Verizon, having NEVER had any issues, and the guy behind the desk, Matt in Everett, told me to d/L a hack and install a 'leaked' OS. Now, my question him was, why the **** should I need to hack my phone instead of VZW just fixing the problem that they KNOW exists. Every other carrier in the WORLD has updated the phone at least 2 times, and many of them 3 times.

I was then told that VZW is holding out for the Storm 2(what ever), and that the Strom would be dropped as a failure. GREAT! Give me my new phone. Oh no, you would need to buy a new one, and we can re-issue you a new contract. GREAT....but Sir, you just upgraded(sic), so you would need to pay the reatil price for the new phone.

VZW, good by, it has been good. Your service is GREAT, but your hardware...terrible!

Dave

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
i went through 5 storms in one day having my first replaced after only 5 days. 6 storms in less than a week just to get one that functioned not even properly just functioned! that is ridiculous i returned it with that last one drove across the highway to at&t and have never been happier

carryonicarus

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
i will be switching from an Alltel 8130 to an iPhone, but i don't know if i should just go get the 3G or wait it out and see if the new iPhone does arrive in mid june like the rumors say.

btw, i'm a new member.

hooray.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I had a Bold, gave it to my Dad and bought an iPhone 3G...then traded for a brand new Bold.. and now just last night I bought another white 16GB 3G.. plan on keeping the Bold if possible.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
The Storm

If I start getting a little bored with my iPhone, I turn it off for a day or two and use my Storm. I then appreciate what I have in the iPhone.

Speaking of appreciating the iPhone; on crackberry, everyone gets excited when there is a new app or game out - then the forum messages start to follow a formula:

1. Someone says that the iPhone version looks/functions better.
2. Someone complains that now they have less of their limited application memory.
3. Someone chimes in on #2 saying it is time RIM allows saving apps to the SD card or 1 gig flash intead of taking up the 128 megs that are shared with apps, o/s, e-mail, etc.

Then! In other forums, people complain about memory leaks that wind up slowing their phone to a craw and someone chimes in that you have a "ton" of apps installed and it must be one of those apps. BTW, about 10 apps is considered a "ton" in that world.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
So, I am going to make the plunge and switch from the Blackberry Storm to the iphone 3G. I've owned the Blackberry Storm since mid-December and have learned over the last 4 months why the iphone is superior.

First of all, I have never had much problem with the Verizon-supported 4.7.75 software. I have also installed 4.7.114 v3 hybrid; no problems with that either. The phone is not "super fast" like the iphone, but I don't find it incredibly "laggy" like some have complained, either. Now, I have to qualify that: The memory management on the Blackberry Storm is horrible. Out of all of the memory on the device (1 gig internal flash and 8 gig micro-SD card) you only get 128 megs for ALL of the following: O/S, 3rd-party apps, e-mails, themes, etc. On top of that, the thing leaks memory over time... unless you reset the device at least once a day, it *will* start the run low on memory and begin to slow down.

Anyway, here is my list of why the Blackberry Storm is not as good as iphone 3G:

1. Memory management (see above) - only 128 megs for O/S, apps, e-mails, themes. This runs out quickly!
2. Blackberry App World - slow, takes up too much memory; the apps suck and are just simple things like "ring with vibe", etc. Not too many good apps, either. The ones that are good are also available for iphone.
3. The Storm interface *does* lag when the device is transmitting/receiving data.
4. The Blackberry browser sucks; javascript on it kills it - Opera Mini is good but they fail to put out a Storm-specific version... it doesn't load all of the images and zoom-in is limited. There is a 3rd-party "Bolt" browser, but they don't really seem to care about the Storm. Instead, it is more optimized for trackball (yuck!)
5. The Blackberry Storm O/S (4.7) is just old-clunky Blackberry O/S with some slapped-on touchscreen changes. Not innovative or optimized for touch-screens at all.
6. I can't view my HTML e-mails without them being all chopped-up strange.

I bought an ipod touch to test drive the waters and I am absolutely in love with it - I can't wait to switch to the iphone. I'll have to pay the Verizon ETF, but I think it is worth it. I am paying ~ $70.00 a month for a smartphone, at that price I want it to be the best. To be stuck with the Storm for another year and a half is just false economy. The ETF, though a pain, is money well spent.

I think you need this wallpaper I made... ;)

StormFAIL.jpg

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
Speaking of appreciating the iPhone; on crackberry, everyone gets excited when there is a new app or game out - then the forum messages start to follow a formula:

1. Someone says that the iPhone version looks/functions better.
2. Someone complains that now they have less of their limited application memory.
3. Someone chimes in on #2 saying it is time RIM allows saving apps to the SD card or 1 gig flash intead of taking up the 128 megs that are shared with apps, o/s, e-mail, etc.

Then! In other forums, people complain about memory leaks that wind up slowing their phone to a craw and someone chimes in that you have a "ton" of apps installed and it must be one of those apps. BTW, about 10 apps is considered a "ton" in that world.

LOL you nailed it :)

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I've finally convinced my girlfriend to dump her Storm(that I bought her before I had an iPhone I swear! :D) for an iPhone..

most likely going to wait and see if a new one comes out if not get her a white 3G

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox