That time will be here before you know it. Just hang in there...
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm doing pretty good. Just avoiding any AT&T and Apple stores.
    04-17-2009 08:48 AM
    i too ditched my storm for an iphone it actually went storm to bold because vzw had no up to date BBs besides the storm and i have always admired the iphone so today i returned my bold for the iphone best thing i ever did since i am a huge apple fan and use all mac computers at home
    04-18-2009 05:38 PM
    I currently have the Blackberry curve & am using the BB destop Manager to forward emails from my laptop to my BB. I do not have access to a BB Server. If i get the Iphone how does email work. I noticed i can use ActiveSync. Does Active Synce have the ability to forward emails to the iphone?
    04-19-2009 09:41 PM
    BBs and iPhones are very different, but the Storm is by far the worst phone RIM has ever released, and probably one of the worst touchscreen phones available.

I love to look on the BST forums on different sites and see the prices of storms just plummet. Then you get one schmuck that thinks someone will pay $600 for his Storm. Yeah okay. lol

Either way - the Bold is a solid device, but it too can lag if you don't reset it every so often. That's one thing that still gets me about BBs. They release App World when their phones can't even handle running that many apps.
    04-19-2009 09:56 PM
    If I had a dollar for every Storm owner who eventually bailed on that device for an iPhone...
    Add my dollar to your bank. I purchased the Storm on black Friday(not intending to, it was just available). At first, it was okay, not stunning, but okay. After a couple of weeks, an OTA update came out, and it was working a bit better, but NOTHING like on the commercials.

This past weekend, it crashed no less than 5 times, and this was my thrid Storm replacement. Additionally, the battery would not hold for more than 4-5 hours, I also have a very nice collection of those.

So, I went to Verizon, having NEVER had any issues, and the guy behind the desk, Matt in Everett, told me to d/L a hack and install a 'leaked' OS. Now, my question him was, why the **** should I need to hack my phone instead of VZW just fixing the problem that they KNOW exists. Every other carrier in the WORLD has updated the phone at least 2 times, and many of them 3 times.

I was then told that VZW is holding out for the Storm 2(what ever), and that the Strom would be dropped as a failure. GREAT! Give me my new phone. Oh no, you would need to buy a new one, and we can re-issue you a new contract. GREAT....but Sir, you just upgraded(sic), so you would need to pay the reatil price for the new phone.

VZW, good by, it has been good. Your service is GREAT, but your hardware...terrible!

Dave
    04-21-2009 05:33 PM
    i went through 5 storms in one day having my first replaced after only 5 days. 6 storms in less than a week just to get one that functioned not even properly just functioned! that is ridiculous i returned it with that last one drove across the highway to at&t and have never been happier
    04-21-2009 07:42 PM
    I am also ditching my Blackberry to get an iPhone; its time for something new
    04-21-2009 11:20 PM
    i will be switching from an Alltel 8130 to an iPhone, but i don't know if i should just go get the 3G or wait it out and see if the new iPhone does arrive in mid june like the rumors say.

btw, i'm a new member.

hooray.
    04-22-2009 04:49 PM
    If I had a dollar for every Storm owner who eventually bailed on that device for an iPhone...
    Ive got 2 dollars for ya cuz I did it twice..
    04-23-2009 01:26 AM
    I had a Bold, gave it to my Dad and bought an iPhone 3G...then traded for a brand new Bold.. and now just last night I bought another white 16GB 3G.. plan on keeping the Bold if possible.
    04-25-2009 09:37 PM
    If I start getting a little bored with my iPhone, I turn it off for a day or two and use my Storm. I then appreciate what I have in the iPhone.
    04-25-2009 10:13 PM
    If I start getting a little bored with my iPhone, I turn it off for a day or two and use my Storm. I then appreciate what I have in the iPhone.
    Speaking of appreciating the iPhone; on crackberry, everyone gets excited when there is a new app or game out - then the forum messages start to follow a formula:

1. Someone says that the iPhone version looks/functions better.
    2. Someone complains that now they have less of their limited application memory.
    3. Someone chimes in on #2 saying it is time RIM allows saving apps to the SD card or 1 gig flash intead of taking up the 128 megs that are shared with apps, o/s, e-mail, etc.

Then! In other forums, people complain about memory leaks that wind up slowing their phone to a craw and someone chimes in that you have a "ton" of apps installed and it must be one of those apps. BTW, about 10 apps is considered a "ton" in that world.
    04-26-2009 11:47 AM
    So, I am going to make the plunge and switch from the Blackberry Storm to the iphone 3G. I've owned the Blackberry Storm since mid-December and have learned over the last 4 months why the iphone is superior.

First of all, I have never had much problem with the Verizon-supported 4.7.75 software. I have also installed 4.7.114 v3 hybrid; no problems with that either. The phone is not "super fast" like the iphone, but I don't find it incredibly "laggy" like some have complained, either. Now, I have to qualify that: The memory management on the Blackberry Storm is horrible. Out of all of the memory on the device (1 gig internal flash and 8 gig micro-SD card) you only get 128 megs for ALL of the following: O/S, 3rd-party apps, e-mails, themes, etc. On top of that, the thing leaks memory over time... unless you reset the device at least once a day, it *will* start the run low on memory and begin to slow down.

Anyway, here is my list of why the Blackberry Storm is not as good as iphone 3G:

1. Memory management (see above) - only 128 megs for O/S, apps, e-mails, themes. This runs out quickly!
    2. Blackberry App World - slow, takes up too much memory; the apps suck and are just simple things like "ring with vibe", etc. Not too many good apps, either. The ones that are good are also available for iphone.
    3. The Storm interface *does* lag when the device is transmitting/receiving data.
    4. The Blackberry browser sucks; javascript on it kills it - Opera Mini is good but they fail to put out a Storm-specific version... it doesn't load all of the images and zoom-in is limited. There is a 3rd-party "Bolt" browser, but they don't really seem to care about the Storm. Instead, it is more optimized for trackball (yuck!)
    5. The Blackberry Storm O/S (4.7) is just old-clunky Blackberry O/S with some slapped-on touchscreen changes. Not innovative or optimized for touch-screens at all.
    6. I can't view my HTML e-mails without them being all chopped-up strange.

I bought an ipod touch to test drive the waters and I am absolutely in love with it - I can't wait to switch to the iphone. I'll have to pay the Verizon ETF, but I think it is worth it. I am paying ~ $70.00 a month for a smartphone, at that price I want it to be the best. To be stuck with the Storm for another year and a half is just false economy. The ETF, though a pain, is money well spent.
    I think you need this wallpaper I made...

04-29-2009 03:03 PM
    Speaking of appreciating the iPhone; on crackberry, everyone gets excited when there is a new app or game out - then the forum messages start to follow a formula:

1. Someone says that the iPhone version looks/functions better.
    2. Someone complains that now they have less of their limited application memory.
    3. Someone chimes in on #2 saying it is time RIM allows saving apps to the SD card or 1 gig flash intead of taking up the 128 megs that are shared with apps, o/s, e-mail, etc.

Then! In other forums, people complain about memory leaks that wind up slowing their phone to a craw and someone chimes in that you have a "ton" of apps installed and it must be one of those apps. BTW, about 10 apps is considered a "ton" in that world.
    LOL you nailed it
    04-29-2009 05:06 PM
    I've finally convinced my girlfriend to dump her Storm(that I bought her before I had an iPhone I swear! ) for an iPhone..

most likely going to wait and see if a new one comes out if not get her a white 3G
    05-01-2009 07:58 PM
    The problem with the Storm is that it tried to give an iPhone experience many wanted while retaining the BlackBerry experience their user base loved, and failed to adequately satisfy either for most users. Add in hardware and software issues, and it was a world of pain.

Hopefully RIM does something more interesting with the Storm 2
    05-03-2009 11:27 AM
    I think Rene said it best. Never thought of it like that.
    05-03-2009 01:51 PM
    I actually madebthe switch about a month ago. I was originally stuck with verizon due to work. I of course got my storm opening day. I tried really hard to like it. I went through 4 storms due to one issue after another...finally I said this is just wrong. The iPhone was the only device that did everything I needed. So a month ago I went out and bought it. It's like night and day. I love this phone.
    05-03-2009 08:49 PM
    Wow, looks like there are quite a few people who previously owned Storms.
    05-04-2009 11:53 AM
    I am a current Storm user, but will be changing my phone, in June, to one of the following:

- New iPhone
    - BB Niagara
    - Palm Pre

One of my concerns about the iPhone is it's lack of combining tasks and appointments in a single Calendar Program. I need to have both tasks and appt's on one App, hence my reason for going with BB's, but I must admit the Storm has soured my want for a newer BB...the OS itself is just too limited.

I do understand however that WebIS has put out Pocket Informant for the iPhone. I use PI on my Storm and it meets all my needs in terms of keeping my tasks and appt's organized. Anyone on the Forums use Pocket Informant on their iPhone? If I do purchase the new iPhone when it comes out in June, I will surely purchase PI. What about multi-tasking? Do you think mult-tasking will come with the new iPhone this summer?

My other concern is push Email. I only have one Email account...not enterprise...but I like to have the Email's from that account pushed to my BB. Is that possible to do with the iPhone?

Thanks for your help.

Nick
    05-04-2009 12:41 PM
    Nick,

Currently only two e-mail providers push, Apple's MobileMe and Yahoo. I do not know which e-mail provider you use but hopefully G-Mail will have it as well for the iPhone in the near future. I have a G-Mail account as it is and in it's native iPhone form actually works pretty well.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 05-04-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    05-04-2009 02:05 PM
    I am a current Storm user, but will be changing my phone, in June, to one of the following:

- New iPhone
    - BB Niagara
    - Palm Pre

One of my concerns about the iPhone is it's lack of combining tasks and appointments in a single Calendar Program. I need to have both tasks and appt's on one App, hence my reason for going with BB's, but I must admit the Storm has soured my want for a newer BB...the OS itself is just too limited.

I do understand however that WebIS has put out Pocket Informant for the iPhone. I use PI on my Storm and it meets all my needs in terms of keeping my tasks and appt's organized. Anyone on the Forums use Pocket Informant on their iPhone? If I do purchase the new iPhone when it comes out in June, I will surely purchase PI. What about multi-tasking? Do you think mult-tasking will come with the new iPhone this summer?

My other concern is push Email. I only have one Email account...not enterprise...but I like to have the Email's from that account pushed to my BB. Is that possible to do with the iPhone?

Thanks for your help.

Nick
    I like the iPhone's calender over the BB's.. looks better, easier to use, and I think you would find it just as useful if you gave it a try.
    05-04-2009 02:44 PM
    Nick,

Currently only two e-mail providers push, Apple's MobileMe and Yahoo. I do not know which e-mail provider you use but hopefully G-Mail will have it as well for the iPhone in the near future. I have a G-Mail account as it is and in it's native iPhone form actually works pretty well.
    I have just quickly glanced over MobileMe, but in a nutshell does it provide push services for an existing Email Account with my provider, or does your subscription to MobileMe actually provide you with a separate Email Account with a @mobileme.com address?
    05-05-2009 09:00 AM
    I like the iPhone's calender over the BB's.. looks better, easier to use, and I think you would find it just as useful if you gave it a try.
    I will probably end up giving it a try, but again, one thing I notice is that all the sample screens for the Calendar on the iPhone do not contain any tasks. What do you do to keep track of your tasks on a busy day? Although I have a few appointments daily, I have many more tasks to complete, and I find it extremely helpful seeing both listed somewhere. I am hoping that 3rd party Apps, such as Pocket Informant, will provide that kind of view for me.

Thanks for your reply.

Nick
    05-05-2009 09:03 AM
    I have just quickly glanced over MobileMe, but in a nutshell does it provide push services for an existing Email Account with my provider, or does your subscription to MobileMe actually provide you with a separate Email Account with a @mobileme.com address?
    MobileMe provides you with an @me.com e-mail account. What I do is forward my gmail to my me.com address so everything gets pushed. I love MobileMe, push calendar, contacts and e-mail. Works with PC, Outlook, Windows Contacts and some others.

Check out Amazon for MobileMe, it's cheaper.. someone said like $69/year as opposed to $99. I purchased the family account for $149, 5 users.

I have my Outlook, MobileMe, iPhone and Google Calendars ALL in sync and in perfect harmony.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 05-05-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    05-05-2009 01:04 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD