I am apparently on the edge (haha!) of the 3G network here in Austin. The phone shows a good 3G signal until I make a call or launch Safari, then it kicks to EDGE - and sorry, but that is painfully slow. OK, it is slow on 3g too since that signal is weak. I have already got the "cannot connect" message a few times on email and Safari depending on where I am in the house. Call quality seems usable, but if I don't get 3G...well it's just a toy and I might as well just get a iPod Touch. Any suggestions - I doubt that calling ATT has anything that helps, right? And for those who would say "Did you check the coverage map", yes I did and I should have excellent 3g coverage.

Funny, both ATT and Verizon's maps show better coverage than Sprint's map (who I have had for 10 years), but now that I have had all 3 in the past month (tried a Storm last month), Sprint actually seems to be the best for my primary area.
    01-22-2009 03:32 PM
    Coverage is a funny thing. In my apartment coverage is spotty at best, however outside I get great reception/data speeds. You might want to call AT&T and find out what the deal is.
    01-22-2009 03:34 PM
    well if you're a new customer in your 30 day trial period then you can take it back and cancel your service without an ETF, no harm, no foul ......although, I think there is a restocking fee....but not 100% sure
    01-22-2009 03:35 PM
    I am apparently in a 3G-black hole in my area. All around my housing development (north, south, east, and west) there is a decent 3G signal. In my development it vanishes.

Chris
    01-22-2009 03:37 PM
    It might be something in the construction of your house too. Inside my mother-in-law's house there is no signal, step outside and instant signal.
    01-22-2009 07:16 PM
    Well, I took it back after 2 days. Seems I do not get a good 3g signal anywhere in my house or even outside. I work from home and my mobile is my line, so I need a good phone even if I have to leave the fun stuff behind. All it cost me was the $20 restock fee because they don't charge the activation fee if you return it in the first 3 days.

I liked it, but I did not necessarily like the way it handled Exchange. But that was minor - I could have lived with that. BUT - I refuse to pay $30/mo for EDGE and dropped calls. Don't know why anyone would put up with that.

So thanks folks, but I am back to WM land until the Pre arrives or the Storm gets better. No ATT for me.
    01-23-2009 05:51 PM
    Well, I took it back after 2 days. Seems I do not get a good 3g signal anywhere in my house or even outside. I work from home and my mobile is my line, so I need a good phone even if I have to leave the fun stuff behind. All it cost me was the $20 restock fee because they don't charge the activation fee if you return it in the first 3 days.

I liked it, but I did not necessarily like the way it handled Exchange. But that was minor - I could have lived with that. BUT - I refuse to pay $30/mo for EDGE and dropped calls. Don't know why anyone would put up with that.

So thanks folks, but I am back to WM land until the Pre arrives or the Storm gets better. No ATT for me.
    Exact same reason I left Sprint when I did. Sorry to see you go, good luck with the next phone!
    01-23-2009 06:28 PM
    Good Luck Bubbatex. If I did not have good 3G, I would not keep the iPhone either. Like BA that is the reason I left Sprint. Their EvDo was non-exisistent where I live and was getting worse where I worked.

Nothing worse than having a 3G phone and not able to use it to it's fullest.
    01-23-2009 08:52 PM
    Call me crazy (OK, "you're crazy!"), but I just could not resist. Bought a 16GB via the BB Silver Rewards discount today. Gonna give it another go. Since I spend most of my time at my home office, if call quality is good - and on EDGE is seems to be great - I have WiFi for everything else. And I will look forward to the Microcell when it arrives!

Now off to the App Store! Wish me luck!
    02-27-2009 04:58 PM
    Call me crazy (OK, "you're crazy!"), but I just could not resist. Bought a 16GB via the BB Silver Rewards discount today. Gonna give it another go. Since I spend most of my time at my home office, if call quality is good - and on EDGE is seems to be great - I have WiFi for everything else. And I will look forward to the Microcell when it arrives!

Back so soon eh?

Good luck with this one!
    02-27-2009 04:59 PM

I work out of a Home Office also. Even though I have excellent 3G coverage, I will some times turn off 3G and use Edge for Phone calls. I will then turn on WiFi for my Data. It works just fine and it REALLY saves on the battery.

Good Luck!!!
    02-27-2009 05:10 PM
    Another one is hooked! I bet the iPhone has some of the highest customer retention among smart phones!
    02-27-2009 05:25 PM

Just over a month away from the iPhone. Couldn't resist?
    02-27-2009 08:34 PM
    Just over a month away from the iPhone. Couldn't resist?
    Have some insider info?? Maybe 4 to 5 months from the new one, but if it is no more than just doubling the storage and software, I am cool (assuming sw changes will apply to the 3G). Now if it is significant hardware changes, then eBay here I come.
    02-27-2009 10:21 PM
    Have some insider info?? Maybe 4 to 5 months from the new one, but if it is no more than just doubling the storage and software, I am cool (assuming sw changes will apply to the 3G). Now if it is significant hardware changes, then eBay here I come.
    I was talking about he only spent a little over a month since he got rid of his last iPhone, before he got a new one. I have no more insider info with Apple than any other person on these forums, though I wish I did.
    02-27-2009 10:23 PM
    I'm just guessing, but I think he meant a month since you got rid of the last one you had.
    02-27-2009 10:25 PM
    I was talking about he only spent a little over a month since he got rid of his last iPhone, before he got a new one. I have no more insider info with Apple than any other person on these forums, though I wish I did.
    Ah, beat me to it.
    02-27-2009 10:26 PM
    BTW - this new one I got is not 2.2.1. Upgrade? Y/N?
    02-27-2009 10:32 PM
    Oh, yes - correct. I was a little pissed that I did not have 3G in the house when I got the last one - and it might not be that much better now, but I figured I can use wifi and frankly wifi is a little faster. Call quality on EDGE is great. Also, I am waiting on the Microcell which I hope will offer some sort of unlimited minutes plan.

Yes, I am using many excuses to keep the phone - I really like this thing (even though Safari has crashed on me 4 times tonight already).
    02-27-2009 10:36 PM
    BTW - this new one I got is not 2.2.1. Upgrade? Y/N?
    Don't hesitate to update right away... well worth it.
    02-27-2009 11:06 PM
    I did - thanks Ash.
    02-28-2009 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD