Round Robin: Help TreoCentral Jennifer with iPhone 3G

Jennifer Chappell

Community Editor
Oct 23, 2006
Visit site
Well, it's my turn with the iPhone 3G in the Round Robin! I bought one a couple or 3 weeks ago and have been wanting to play with it. And now I can!

I've been downloading some fun apps. Are there any good utility apps that any of you have used and would recommend?

I like the Weather that is included on the iPhone, but is there a weather app that gives more detailed information like wind velocity, etc.?

I've been messing around with the Maps and like the GPS. How do I look at the "street view"? I heard that there is a street view but haven't seen that option anywhere.

Good luck everyone!! :)

This is an Official Round Robin Contest Thread!

Jennifer Chappell

Community Editor
Oct 23, 2006
Visit site
I downloaded The Weather Channel app and LOVE it! Thanks for the recommendations! I looked at many other weather apps too, the free and the paid apps. Lots of them very interesting, but I think I'll stick with The Weather Channel for now.

I also downloaded the lite version WhatTask and I like it too!

Anybody using Smart Dial? I got that this morning and so far, it seems to work pretty good. I have waaaay too many contacts since I set up my iPhone to sync all my email contacts. I've got to go back and change that. Many contacts are repeated like 3 or 4 times.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
For a weather app I'm using WeatherPro, mostly because it's the only one I think that has both satellite and rain radar for the UK. It has other plusses too though: seven-day forecast, three-hourly forecast (essential in my view), nice graphs of forecast temperatures and precipitation probabilities, and hourly updates to current conditions. It's all wrapped up in a very nice UI and has been faultless and completely stable for me thus far.

Other recommended utility apps: Air Sharing (document sync and viewing), NetNewsWire (RSS), Quickpedia, 1Password, Jaadu VNC, PhotoCalc (if you're a photographer), MobileFiles (more document sync and viewing - only useful if you have a MobileMe account), Darkness (it only does sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset and related stuff, but it's very pretty :))

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I dont use a lot of utility apps but some of the apps I recommend are:
  • eReader of digital books (requires eReader, Fictionwise or related acct)
  • eWallet for your passwords, logins, personal info, etc
  • Google for search the includes contact info on the iPhone and voice activation
  • Remote for controlling iTunes music on your PC over Wifi
  • Shazam for tagging music you hear on the radio or anywhere else

3gmacattack

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
The weather channel app is a great weather app. To enable street view you have to hit the orange icon of a little person that come up when you drop a pin. However not all streets have street view but most do. Beejive Im is also an app worth checking out!

Touch Me

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm a fan of Weather Underground which has an iPhone version, i.wund.com, that formats a variety of info for the smaller screen. But for weather and road reports, it is hard to beat my state's DOT site for current info, traffic, forecasts and, my favorite, highway cameras. Jennifer may want to see what her DOT offers.

Because it is her own iPhone I will also recommend the Geocaching app for a good example of what the iPhone can do. It costs money and it is a specialized sport but, who knows, she might like it or already know of it.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Jen:

Make sure you try out the Google Mobile App. Go into settings and enable Voice Search. Then just lift to your ear (like a phone), say what you want, and Google does magic.

Google Earth is also very pretty. If you're musical, Ocarina is awesome and you could potentially hear what Kevin is playing in Winnipeg! Stanza is great for eBooks, AirShare, VNC, and SSH for the inner geekwork, and I'm sure you'll get tons of good game recommendations.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I've been messing around with the Maps and like the GPS. How do I look at the "street view"? I heard that there is a street view but haven't seen that option anywhere.

Good luck everyone!! :)

This is an Official Round Robin Contest Thread!

Since most people have added what I would add as far as apps, I'll help you on the street view:

1. Open Maps (obvious first step)
2. Search for what you want (obvious second step)
3. Hit the bottom right icon of a page being flipped up
4. Click drop pin if you have not searched for a specific address or place
5. Click on the Orange "person" to the left of the information.
6. View street view!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You might want to check out Weather Bug as well. TWC app has some location issues and I can't find away to delete old ones I don't want.

Other apps you might check out; AP Mobile News, News Desk, Google Mobile app (voice search is cool), wikipanion, shazam, itunes remote, seadragon (from microsoft, gasp!), and an untold number of games.

Games; Missile Command, Texas Hold Em', Fieldrunners, Snail Mail, TapDefense, and many many more.

It is quite easy to go overboard on apps, I know I am always checking the app store and looking for the latest greatest stuff. I am an app junkie, just can't get enough.

Last edited:

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Haha, I'm guessing the round robin rules don't allow you to jailbreak it, huh? =P Oh, the fun kinds of trouble you could get into if that were permitted...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73