Shame on Apple and the IPhone 3G

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I am sorry, I have to vent. This is the 4th time I have to re-install the IPhone Operating System software. I am sick of it. I speak from ONLY my experiences and MY views on the IPhone 3G. These are my TOP pet peeves, and TOP complaints that make me say, SHAME ON APPLE.

1) Shame on Apple for releasing a new product (IPhone 3G) that is obviously not ready for prime time. I have been in the IT field for almost 30 years. If I were to release (or approve for release) a product like this to the general pubic in the state that it is in, I would have been fired. Remember, this is a PHONE FIRST! Stability is a MUST!! God forbid I am in desperate need to make a call and I get the Apple logo!! OMG!!! STABILITY! STABILITY! STABILITY!

2) Shame on Apple for not having an Operating system that is protected from errant 3rd party software. Shoot, even Windows Op system has a protected mode for their operating system so that it cannot be corrupted easily (operating word here is EASILY). This is the 4th time I had to re-install the operating software from ITunes. This is because of bugs in the operating system software as well as 3rd party software that make the phone functionality impaired or even worse, useless.

3) Shame on Apple for a version of ITunes that at best is buggy. Everything from corrupted backups to issues with syncing to issue with the App store. I will get to backups in the next bullet. But I have seen issues with syncing Calendar and Contacts, issues with updating 3rd party software. All of these are in blogs galore. I will not enumerate them all here. But you all know what I am talking about. If not, Google, ?ITunes 7.7 sync issues?.

4) Shame on Apple for having Backups that are useless. And I MEAN useless. From HOURS to do backups (hey, remember what I said about this being a PHONE FIRST! I can?t tie up my phone for HOURS on end), to not keeping track of past backups to corrupted backups. Now let me give my 2 cents on all of this. First, the customer should have options to do FULL backups or INCREMENTAL backups. After a FULL backup (which might take some time, not HOURS, but some time), an incremental backup should be quick. Only changes from the past backup should be captured. Of course, if you want to do multiple full backups, that should be your choice. Incremental backups would mean that ITunes would have to keep track of past backups. What a wonderful surprise I found when I had to do my last restore of the IPhone Operating system software, that I only had the LAST backup in my list. This was even though I did a backup every time it was requested from ITunes. And of course, there was another wonderful surprise to find that the LAST backup was corrupted. Apple, SHAME ON YOU!! You mean you cannot do a verify on a backup?? Or have the option for a verify of a backup? Shoot, this is Computer Science 101. It might take longer to do the backup with a verify, but if we were allowed incremental backups, it would be pretty quick.

5) Shame on Apple for not allowing the customer to replace the battery! This is a pet peeve of mine. SHAME!! SHAME!! SHAME!! This is the only phone that I know of that does not allow you to replace the battery without doing heart surgery. I mean.. Sheesh, with 3G, GPS, Bluetooth, IPOD, and cell phone usage, how could you NOT allow a replaceable battery. Why should I have to cripple my phone by turning off features so I can conserve battery life. It defeats the purpose of having the functionality there in the first place.

6) Shame on Apple for having no stereo Bluetooth. Mmm, let me try and wrap my little brain around this. You have an IPod within the IPhone, and you don?t allow stereo Bluetooth? What brainiac thought to leave this out?

7) A BIG Shame on Apple for not allowing existing power adapters and other IPod and IPhone 2G products from working on IPhone 3G. I know, to hell with the consumer, make them PAY PAY PAY. Buy more equipment. I mean, it couldn?t be that hard to allow my existing IHome alarm clock to recharge my IPhone 3G. Or have my Honda IPod adapter charge my IPhone 3G. Interestingly, the functionality works on both these devices, but they don?t recharge the phone. And with a non-replaceable battery, I am using my ONLY battery to play on these devices. I mean, comeon Apple, have some compassion for the consumer.

8) Shame on Apple for having no cut/paste. I won?t beat a dead horse on this. It has been blogged to dead. But don?t tell me that in a YEAR, you didn?t have enough time to get this in? Ever heard of hiring more programmers????? There are a lot of unemployed ones that would LOVE a job. This can?t be rocket science.

9) Shame on Apple for being to tight fisted with their APIs. Not allowing programmers to exchange ideas (because of Non-disclosure) is a disservice to programmers as well as the eventual customer.

10) Shame on Apple for not allowing software to be memory resident so that they can run in the background. Well, I guess we need a stable PROTECTED Operating system before we allow this feature. So I can see why Apple might be cautious.

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Not Really.

Not since I have to re-enter all the information that I had in each individual app. And I am not talking Contacts or Calendar, which did get synced (Somewhat.. Calendar didn't sync appointments from IPhone to computer, but did from computer to IPhone. Go figure). I am talking apps where you enter things like favorite restaurants, stock tracking, gas mileage tracking, getting my IPhone screens JUST the way I like em. This time I will be smart and not enter any data until release 2.1 of the Op system comes out. See if that is more stable.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I totally understand your concerns. It seems like you got alot of your chest. I was totally aware of these challenges when I stood in line for 4 hours to get my iphone 3g but wanted one so bad that I took my chances. Luckily for me I have not had to restore my phone after 3 hard weeks of usage. I havent had any problems with my phone yet......(knock on wood). I'm a use to be Blackberry users and knew what I was giving up when I made the switch from Blackberry to Apple. I love their computers so much that I figured the iphone 3g should be just a stable as my Macbook Pro. So far it has been!!!!!!!!!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Shame on you for buying an iphone when you knew all of this (or some of it) in advance. I've had a few crashes or resets, but i've never had a sync take over 20min..most are done in just a few min. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Shame on you for buying an iphone when you knew all of this (or some of it) in advance.

Exactly...

A lot of people just don't understand when you are a early adopter you better be ready for bugs and other issues. If you are not willing to accept them, sit on the sidelines and wait. Anyone who has ever owned a brand new smartphone whether it was a Palm or WM device knows there will be issues when it is first released.

Last edited:

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Shame on you for buying an iphone when you knew all of this (or some of it) in advance. I've had a few crashes or resets, but i've never had a sync take over 20min..most are done in just a few min. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.
Shame on me??? First of all, I was one of the FIRST to buy the IPhone 3G. There were no problems reported BECAUSE no one had a phone. So, ask first when I got the phone before you make such a comment.

This is NOT 1.0 of this Op system. It is 2.0. And just because YOU didn't have a backup issue doesn't mean there isn't one. It just means you got lucky. Have u been reading the blogs?

Also, my comments on how to do backups are spot on. Again, it is Computer Science 101 and Apple obviously hasn't been to class in awhile.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
mike, /hug... we're all in the same boat... i'm personally NOT making my final deicisions till 2.1 comes out, however i KNOW it will be after the 30 days is up...

i've found a few key things...
--Backups ARE useless, i agree. - I've actually disabled the backup during sync.
--i no longer use the APP store for ANYTHING. i will install via itunes only, and updates thru itunes also. I'm even trying to delete via itunes ONLY.
--frequency power cycles. I've even found that full power cycles on the iPhone and my Mac Book Pro seem to help out instability issues.

these few thigns have gave me great success... the app store thing seems to be a rather wide-spread issue, which was spoken about on Mac Break Weekly & noted on the Apple Phone Show

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Shame on me??? First of all, I was one of the FIRST to buy the IPhone 3G. There were no problems reported BECAUSE no one had a phone. So, ask first when I got the phone before you make such a comment.

This is NOT 1.0 of this Op system. It is 2.0. And just because YOU didn't have a backup issue doesn't mean there isn't one. It just means you got lucky. Have u been reading the blogs?

Also, my comments on how to do backups are spot on. Again, it is Computer Science 101 and Apple obviously hasn't been to class in awhile.

Any new firmware, especially one with so many enhancements like 2.0, bugs/issues are to be expected. Plain and simple. As for the long backups, I'm sure it will be adjusted in the next update. Just something we have to live with for now.

*Personally I have not really paid much attention to syncs as of late but I know iTunes updated yesterday for me, it's possible the slow sync is gone if you update. Just tossing that out there.

Last edited:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Items 5 to 10 inclusive on your list were known before July 11.

wcarr3

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Mike,

Man you are really upset with Apple huh. For your issue with having to perform all the restores, why don't you just take the i-Phone back and get a replacement. Like others have said, for issues 5-10, if you are so aggravated by them, why did you buy the i-Phone in the first place? When has Apple allowed for battery replacement for anything? Cut and paste? I think that will be coming soon in an update or via a 3rd party app. I really don't know what to tell you about the stereo bluetooth other than that is it really that big of a deal? Is the sound quality really worth it? Yeah, I know it's all about convenience. I don't know man, it just tickles me every time someone goes on a rant because they are SOOO dissatisfied with a product. If you don't like it, take it back. A gun wasn't forced upon you by someone and you were forced to buy the i-Phone. And next time, if you can't deal with the bugs that most early adapter go through with almost any new gadgets, it might be in your best interest to just wait it out until it seems that the majority is satisfied with the product. I understand your frustration, but we'll eventually get through many of the issues you listed.

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Libuff, Bad Ash for the comments.

I guess we'll have to wait to see how and when Apple fixes these and other issues.

Misery loves company I guess.

Thanks again.

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
LOL- you just had some super duper bad luck my friend. I've had some small problems but nothing crazy like what your describing. I'm sorry for your troubles better call the karma police! I'm login' my phone!!! Well worth my all night wait!

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Ummm.... stability?? my iPhone is running at 100% and has been since day 1. My first gen and now my 3G.

When i bought it i took it home, Synced it and it worked 100% wonderfully.

Also itunes? is the most stable music program i know, i've never had a single problem with it all.

Sounds like you just got a bad tomatoe/phone. go get it exchanged, maybe a bad processor.

my iPhone works great. don't know whats wrong with everyone else.

Cut copy and paste? coming out soon.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I've had one or two resets due to crappy apps via the app store but that's about it. Otherwise, it's worked perfectly out of the box and iTunes/AppStore has been seamless & flawless in functioning for me. Yes, battery life sucks and only Apple is so arrogant as to use a non user-replaceable battery (sad thing is they get away with it). 3G sucks and is worthless IMHO but I blame that more on AT&T than Apple at this point. But I'm keeping mine and waiting for 2.1.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just wanted to point out, for someone who went through all the treos in the past, these bugs with apple aren't so bad. I think its pretty remarkable the way things have gone with the transition to apps, the ease of installation, how cheap the apps are (go look at the palm apps and i'll try to forget how much i've spent in the past).

Granted, there are bugs and some minor resets, but i remember going through much worse. Unlike Palm, apple releases updates quickly so i'm not that concerned. We are the early adopters. 2.0 doesn't mean a mature firmware..

But bottom line, i'm excited about this phone. It does what i want and it looks good doing it. I got my games, some other apps, browser, email, audio, video, etc. Just waiting for more apps and additions but nothing major really. Some have griped about wanting Itunes light or saying its too bloated..i like it fine. One program that does it all..or a one stop shop. It too could have more features, but i prefer it to the hassle of what palm gives you to sync with.

I'm not looking back as a former palm user for the last several years. The only real regret is that the masses are now in on the fun. I used to have this sense that i was one of the few having a smartphone do so much :) Even so, i don't have as much time these days (or desire) to fool around with hacks like i did in the past with the treos. I like the ease of use, ease of installation, etc. No jailbreaking for me.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just wanted to point out, for someone who went through all the treos in the past, these bugs with apple aren't so bad. I think its pretty remarkable the way things have gone with the transition to apps, the ease of installation, how cheap the apps are (go look at the palm apps and i'll try to forget how much i've spent in the past).

Granted, there are bugs and some minor resets, but i remember going through much worse. Unlike Palm, apple releases updates quickly so i'm not that concerned. We are the early adopters. 2.0 doesn't mean a mature firmware..

But bottom line, i'm excited about this phone. It does what i want and it looks good doing it. I got my games, some other apps, browser, email, audio, video, etc. Just waiting for more apps and additions but nothing major really. Some have griped about wanting Itunes light or saying its too bloated..i like it fine. One program that does it all..or a one stop shop. It too could have more features, but i prefer it to the hassle of what palm gives you to sync with.

I'm not looking back as a former palm user for the last several years. The only real regret is that the masses are now in on the fun. I used to have this sense that i was one of the few having a smartphone do so much :) Even so, i don't have as much time these days (or desire) to fool around with hacks like i did in the past with the treos. I like the ease of use, ease of installation, etc. No jailbreaking for me.

I'm typing like a maniac now on the keyboard...surprisingly much faster than the centros.

oops..double post..

MUTiger

Aug 5, 2008
Visit site
Mike:

I had the same problem with one way syncs (PC to iPhone but not the other direction). Neither calendar or contacts worked for me.

Apple's solution to this problem is to add a new profile and use it for syncing. It worked for me. This assumes you are using a PC and not a Mac.

Joemhz

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Mike,

Funny how Apple fan boys bash windows while the beloved iPhone's OS is worse. I totally agree with your evaluation of the iphone. I previously posted my horrible experience during an emergency when the Iphone just locked up during calls. I now carry a Razr to use as a phone.

The solution: buy the new Blackberry Thunder.