Newbie advice: Buying an Unactivated iphone 3g

athreya#IM

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
guys,

does anyone have any authoratative news on how much an unactivated iphone will cost?

News on all websites seems to suggest stores r letting u walk home without activation because of the glitch. If i want to buy paying cash (not by card), and dont activate what happens?

Whats the ETF?

many thanks in advance

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
ETF = Early Termination Fee.

Often used here in reference to ending service with another carrier while still under contract. e.g. leaving Sprint before a contract is up.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
guys,

does anyone have any authoratative news on how much an unactivated iphone will cost?

News on all websites seems to suggest stores r letting u walk home without activation because of the glitch. If i want to buy paying cash (not by card), and dont activate what happens?

Whats the ETF?

many thanks in advance
This is hardly a "glitch." It is more like a tragedy. I suggest that nobody do anything for a day or two. Definitely do not do anything the least bit different from the most straight forward transaction. "Newbies" should definitely hold their water.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
They will not let you walk out of the store without setting up everything with At&t... they get all your info and set everything up. You can just bring home to hook up to iTunes to get the service going. So even if you did go home with no service you are still in a contract at that point.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
They will not let you walk out of the store without setting up everything with At&t... they get all your info and set everything up. You can just bring home to hook up to iTunes to get the service going. So even if you did go home with no service you are still in a contract at that point.

iTunes leads me to water but will not let me drink. I cannot download 2.0 or purchase any software.

athreya#IM

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site

thanks..so is there NO WAY of buying an unactivated iphone at all anywhere in the US?

What abt the UK? Would anyone know abt that?

athreya#IM

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
so there is no flipside to buying and immediately cancelling?

if i buy at apple...walk out of store...call att and cancel..

is there any negative to this? we dont have to return the phone?

xwhatsmysn

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
well you have a chance to return within the 30 days given without paying the 175 .. but most ppl wants the phone so they pay the 175 instead

no flipside.. they dont care.. most ask for a reason..