Ok, so I'm trying to develop a plan whereby I can be sure to get an iPhone 3G for both myself and my wife without making her and our three little ones stand in line. I've got an idea but I wanted to bounce it off some people to see if this sounds like bad line etiquette or potentially against Apple's line rules.

I've got a few different scenarios that could possibly happen:

1. I wait in line by myself and have my wife show up shortly after 8am. This is basically line sitting and is done all the time, i.e. for bathroom breaks, etc. Bad form?

2. I wait in line by myself and once I get in the store and try to get two phones they may tell me that I can't, so I ask them if I can call my wife to have her come down while I sit on the sidelines hanging onto our two phones until she gets there so we can complete the deal. Does she have to wait in line then or can she come right into the store? Assuming there's still a line by the time she gets there.

3. I get someone else to wait in line with me who won't be buying an iPhone for themselves, thus allowing me to buy one for "them", which I then give to my wife.

I've got the feeling that whatever I end up doing its going to have to be by the seat of my pants.
    07-09-2008 02:08 AM
    I read somewhere if you get a family share plan you can get more than one phone.
    07-09-2008 02:54 AM
    I wouldn't save a spot unless she is there originally, then leaves and comes back. And it is a short time...Otherwise it is cutting and people may get unruly. Just bring someone with you to play it safe...
    07-09-2008 07:17 AM
    CoolCat ... you're in Milwaukee, are you planning on going to Bayshore or Mayfair? In either case I don't think there's really going to be that long of line, do you? Bring beer for the line and you should probably be able to do whatever you want!
    07-09-2008 07:33 AM
    8am BEER! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    07-09-2008 08:57 AM
    Cool Cat, I had a similar situation as you last year. Me, my wife, and our three kids headed off to Menlo Park Mall in Edison, NJ just before noon for the 6PM launch. We had a 1-year-old, a 2-year-old, and a 5-year-old then.

She walked around the mall while alternating children who stood in line with me at the AT&T store. Most of the time, our 5-year-old kept me company, then the 1-year-old in the stroller fell asleep for quite a while and she stayed with me on line.

She only alternated my spot so I can head off to the restroom. When it finally came to 6PM, the whole family stayed on line.

I'm a much bigger fan than she is, but I wouldn't have her stand on line for my purchase for any lengthy period of time anyway. (She did not get the first-gen iPhone, but she will meet me nearing 8AM so she can get the 3G version as well). I plan on camping out at 5:30-6AM Friday morning at the Apple store.
    07-09-2008 09:03 AM
    CoolCat ... you're in Milwaukee, are you planning on going to Bayshore or Mayfair? In either case I don't think there's really going to be that long of line, do you? Bring beer for the line and you should probably be able to do whatever you want!
    I haven't decided which store to go to yet. I was at Bayshore last year for the combination grand opening and iPhone launch. Mayfair is inside though, so if the weather is bad that would be a better way to go. I expect that there will be a line at 8am, I'm really not sure how long it will be though. With all the talk of short supply of 16GB iPhones I wanted to be near the front of the line to make sure I get mine.

Hmm, I just thought of something. I bet I could bribe my wife to come to Mayfair by buying a Cinnabon for her for breakfast.
    07-09-2008 10:37 AM
    haha, cool cat,
    i would bring your wife, but not at like 8, more like 715ish. just because people would be more likely if they just got bujjed (how do you spell that?) last second.
    also, i wouldn't bring a friend, just becuase all the legal crap, and if he/she hs to sign stuff, of they ask for id... too many things could go wrong..
    07-09-2008 10:53 AM
    CoolCat, if waiting to buy the 3G iPhone after a couple of days is really not an option, I'd go with option #3.
    07-09-2008 11:22 AM
    I'm going to bring Mcdonalds breakfast. Someone said that earlier on the threads and it sounds so good... A warm hash brown with orange juice and a new iPhone 3G. Of course I would clean my hands before I touch my iPhone. I wouldn't want to get grease all over it
    07-09-2008 02:13 PM
    Most people won't confront you if you screw with the etiquette.

The last show I went to at Berkeley's Greek Theatre, there was a HUGE line. But my then girlfriend and I walked straight to the front of the line(we were third in) and acted like we belonged. I'm pretty sure people saw us but didn't want to confront us. And the thing is, I'm a scrawny guy; although, my girlfriend could be pretty scary(i.e. crazy redhead).

Incubus front-row, center -- and we arrived 15 minutes before entry.

But really, I would bring as many chairs as you have people, then get them to come right before opening. No one will say ANYTHING.
    07-09-2008 10:14 PM
    Well, I waited in line today and finally got my new iPhone (yay!) But during the wait, there was a girl that was 4th in line who was talking to these 3 guys who pulled up after the line was getting pretty long. The guy in front of me and I were getting worried/nosy/irritated upon seeing this b/c we assumed those three guys were cutting in front of us. I remember a lot of people saying it would get "ugly" if that were to happen. Fortunately, it turned out that only one of the guys paid the girl who was 4th in line for her spot for $50. But I also heard from the girl that those guys had it in their heads that they ALL could get in line in her spot. Uhhh, NO... one for one is fine but three people into one spot??? I don't think so... I seriously would've said something to them and it sounded like I wouldn't have been the only one.
    07-12-2008 10:31 PM
    Well, I ended up taking the wife and kids to the mall with me at 5:30am on Friday. I got the first spot in line too! My brother showed up later and came into line with us but only after explaining to those behind me that he wasn't buying a phone, he was just along for the ride and to help with the kids as we purchased our phones. My mom came later and got into the back of the line, somewhere about 100 people back at the time I think.
    07-12-2008 10:34 PM
    When I got mine on launch day they came out and asked us all how many we were buying. Can't you just buy two yourself on a family share line?
    07-14-2008 01:40 AM
    Yeah, they came out and asked us that too. I had been calling the Apple Store all week asking if I would be able to buy two phones for a family plan and they kept telling me that they didn't know. Turns out that I could have and I dragged the whole family out of bed at 4:30am for nothing. Well, not for nothing, we got some good ol' Apple line fun out of the day. If I'd known ahead of time that I could buy them both myself they wouldn't have come along though.
    07-14-2008 01:52 AM
    Yeah, they came out and asked us that too. I had been calling the Apple Store all week asking if I would be able to buy two phones for a family plan and they kept telling me that they didn't know. Turns out that I could have and I dragged the whole family out of bed at 4:30am for nothing. Well, not for nothing, we got some good ol' Apple line fun out of the day. If I'd known ahead of time that I could buy them both myself they wouldn't have come along though.
    Oh well, family excursion.

I actually waited outside an at&t store and they said that their systems were down and they were having some problem so to be patient. Then they counted how many of us were there and told us what they had in stock and assured us that there would be enough iphones for those of us who were there.

Then because the temperature was in the high 80s and humid at around 9 in the morning, they offered everyone in line a bottle of water. Very nice people. Made the wait kind of fun and definitely more bearable, especially once I knew I was guaranteed a new iphone.
    07-14-2008 01:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD