Walt Mossberg reviews the iPhone 3G

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Great to see improved audio.
David Pogue also said, "In fact, few cellphones sound this good."

Obviously he's not going to be giving it high praise, there's not that much different about the original one.

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if they will be able to improve the battery life? And I thought that this was supposed to be a phone for both enterprise and consumer? How can you only allow one set to sync if it is supposed to do both?

Impulse622

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
lol, he doesnt even know what he's talking about.
what button is there for apps. there is like 1 freaking button.
(not including the side ones)

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
After watching that review the only things I could think were:
1. Hope the battery is not gonna be an issue for me.
2. How did this guy get this job.

Very poor review, hope we get to see some more detailed ones soon. I guess I can just see for my self in a couple of days.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Either:
There wasn't much to report on as it is the exact same phone (except for the sound quality he mentioned, 3G which he mentioned, GPS mentioned, and the App store which he didn't have access to).
Or:
Apple wasn't letting him produce a full review as a condition of receiving it early (investors/stock worries).

Still, he had it for a couple weeks.. feel like their should be a bit more detail.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
lol, he doesnt even know what he's talking about.
what button is there for apps. there is like 1 freaking button.
(not including the side ones)

He wasn't referring to a physical button. He was referring to a button on the homescreen.

Also, regarding battery life, how many people talk on the phone for 4+ hours a day? I most certainly don't. Also, over 6 hours of 3G web browsing is more than enough unless you have nothing better to do for a quarter of your day while you are not in a location you can access a proper computer.

All in all, I think battery life complaints are misplaced for a device like the iPhone.

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
the short battery life worries me, I guess I'll have to get a car charge and plug it up when i'm on the go

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
the short battery life worries me, I guess I'll have to get a car charge and plug it up when i'm on the go

I do this already with my Treo. So a car charger will be one of the items I'll get on Friday. Also a Mophie Juicepack once they're available for the 3G.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
The battery report is very discouraging. I've read Mossberg's reviews of dozens of different smartphones, and in his "daily driver" part of the report uses the phone as he would in business use: calls, email, PDA functions, web surfing. It's not a specific "rundown" test by over exercising the web or calls, etc. If in daily use he is running out of juice before bed time, that is a major problem. Any useful cell phone has got to last a 16 hour day in general use. Recharging nightly is one thing...recharging a couple of times a day is a business user nuisance.

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
The battery life issue actually surprised me quite a bit. I didn't think Apple would allow the new iPhone to have worse battery performace compared to the original iPhone.

Walt didn't get into how heavily he used the iPhone during the work day. But regardless, having a fully charged battery die before the work day is over is pretty concerning. My BB Curve, which I use moderate to heavily on a daily basis, can last me 3 days between charges. A quality smartphone should require charging no more than once everyone day and a half.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
this is very scary. i probably use my blackberry to make at least 3 hours of phone calls a day. i am constantly emailing, and once i have internet usage i can see myself on that at least an hour a day, dont forget ipod usage. this is going to be bad news. Looks like im going to be carrying around my iphone charger in my bag so i dont die mid day. im just worried about all the charging cycles affecting the long term life of the battery. i see myself having to go to apple next june insisting that the battery is bad, and makign them give me a new one just so i get a new one before the 1 year coverage is up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro