Apple's Plans On iPhone 3g Checkout Process

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
From Appleinsider:

"Apple plans to rely heavily on its portable checkout devices to speed up the iPhone 3G checkout and activation process at its retail stores beginning this Friday, according to information coming out of the company's retail meetings. Other notes from the internal gatherings follow.

People familiar with this week's disclosures between Apple and its retail employees say the electronics maker has designed its in-store iPhone 3G checkout process so that only handheld EasyPay systems (pictured below) carried by staffers can process orders for the new phone.

As such, the only forms of accepted payment for an iPhone 3G will be credit cards, debit cards, or Apple gift cards. However, gift cards can still be purchased with cash or a check at the stores' front POS (iMac) systems.

The EasyPay handhelds will also process every part of the iPhone 3G transaction ahead of activation, those same people say. This will include everything from a credit check (where applicable, see below), the customer's selection of a calling plan, plan add-ons, number porting, and the actual purchase.

Some other notes from Apple's ongoing retail meetings:
Apple retail stores will not be able to help business customers who wish to move to iPhone 3G. Business customers are categorized as anyone who has a portion (or all of) their wireless bill paid for by their employer, or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer.

If you're not an existing AT&T customer, you'll be required to provide an Apple sales representative with your social security number so that they can perform a quick credit check.

All iPhone 3G shoppers will need to present a valid government issued United States ID (such as a drivers license) at the time of purchase.

Customers subscribing to a new AT&T FamilyTalk plan will need to purchase at least two iPhone 3Gs with the plan, unless a first-generation iPhone is already owned by one of the family members that will be using the plan. In that case, the new phone is sold and activated and the old iPhone is ported over to the new plan.

Some retail store employees say staffers may also "personalize" iPhone 3Gs by setting up an email account for customers at the point of sale.

Apple retail employees may not be able to determine whether existing non-iPhone AT&T customers are eligible for upgrade pricing. As such, it's unclear how iPhone 3G sales to non-iPhone AT&T customers will be possible at Apple retail stores. Additional information will be published when it becomes available.

Porting non-AT&T mobile numbers over to iPhone 3G on new AT&T accounts may take as long as 4 to 6 hours to complete. During this time, outgoing calls can still be made.

Apple retail employees will receive additional training on July 9th and 10th.

Apple retail managers were expected to receive more details regarding launch day procedures during a conference call sometime Monday (today).

The slogan appears to be "GET READY, GET SET, GO..."

Apple is expected to issue a press release with additional details as early as Tuesday.

In the meantime, Apple has provided customers with a support document which describes how to replace an original iPhone with an iPhone 3G.

Once payment for an iPhone 3G has been processed, Apple staffers will activate (unbrick) the phone by tethering it to a modified iTunes application. The activation process on the modified iTunes app will mirror the first few steps of the original iPhone home activation process, and employees (at least at AT&T) are being told not to progress beyond the "Set Up Your iPhone" screen."

rosaxoparks

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm. Looks like its going to take forever on opening day, what with people crowding the store like nobody's business.
Kinda makes me want to wait a few days to get one..

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Customers subscribing to a new AT&T FamilyTalk plan will need to purchase at least two iPhone 3Gs with the plan, unless a first-generation iPhone is already owned by one of the family members that will be using the plan.

Sorry this part seems ambiguous. Does this mean if you want just ONE iPhone on a family share plan, this is not doable? That is what it sounds like... but I have a hard time believing it is true.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sorry this part seems ambiguous. Does this mean if you want just ONE iPhone on a family share plan, this is not doable? That is what it sounds like... but I have a hard time believing it is true.

Sorry, can't help you out with that one... I know what you are saying but you never know... at least until Friday. :rolleyes:

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, the stores are going to an absolute zoo on July 11. I would definitely go to the Apple stores and check out the activities and witness the new iPhone on the 11th. But buying one on that day is just unnecessary trouble.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
From Appleinsider:
Apple retail employees may not be able to determine whether existing non-iPhone AT&T customers are eligible for upgrade pricing. As such, it's unclear how iPhone 3G sales to non-iPhone AT&T customers will be possible at Apple retail stores. Additional information will be published when it becomes available."

WHAT?!? so if you wanna upgrade from a non-iphone you have to go to a stupid AT&T store and deal with them probably running out of phones... great...

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Honestly

I honestly do not believe that the new 3G iPhone is going to sell out like people are expecting and you can thank AT&T for having a part in this thanks to their pricing for people that are not eligible for an upgrade or have to pay more for the phone then someone that is eligible for the upgrade. I really wish Apple and AT&T were treating the 3G iPhone like the original iPhone was treated and allowed everyone to upgrade at the same price.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
It sounds like Apple Stores won't be imposing the same one iPhone limit that AT&T stores will, at least if you're signing up for a family plan. I need two iPhones on a family plan, porting two numbers from Verizon. Since I plan to line up early in the morning on Friday I'll probably be in line by myself and won't have my wife with me (and our three little kids). I'm hoping this will go smoothly.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Apple Retail Store - iPhone at the Apple Store

Why do new customers need the current wireless account number and password or PIN if you want a completely new number?

This is just a complete mess.

That is typical, even if you called up at&t they would ask for the same thing. Otherwise I could call up and give your number and bam... your account is closed on another carrier and I now have your number... you wouldn't want that now would you? :confused:

*Wait... ok read your comment wrong. I think that is if you are porting your number only. I could be wrong.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
What if you want two lines?
I'm giving my old Verizon phone to my brother.

I actually just thought about it It's probably because MOST people will want their number transferred over. So they'd rather have everyone bring it rather than have a bunch of people not able to transfer their old number.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I honestly do not believe that the new 3G iPhone is going to sell out like people are expecting and you can thank AT&T for having a part in this thanks to their pricing for people that are not eligible for an upgrade or have to pay more for the phone then someone that is eligible for the upgrade. I really wish Apple and AT&T were treating the 3G iPhone like the original iPhone was treated and allowed everyone to upgrade at the same price.

Like I keep saying, you are not going to be seeing jam packed stores all over the US for this phone. In other countries maybe, just because this is the first iPhone they are getting.

Billsteve

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I wish i knew what they meant about the family plan stuff. I have three phones on my plan, and only i want an iphone. on top of that only my phone is eligible for an upgrade... hm.... if they don't let me get an iphone... i am going to punch them all!!!

or maybe i will just cry.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
What if you want two lines?

I actually just thought about it It's probably because MOST people will want their number transferred over. So they'd rather have everyone bring it rather than have a bunch of people not able to transfer their old number.

Yup. While some people will want a new number if they're new to AT&T, most people will likely want to transfer their number from another carrier, canceling that account, in which case you'd need those. Otherwise if you want a new number you'll be fine without those, whether you're brand new to a wireless phone or opening another account on a different carrier keeping your old one. In fact I'm tempted to shoot my plan down to next to nothing on July 24 on my Treo on Verizon for the last month I have so I'll pay like $40 for the month (way better than $175 ETF) and buy and iPhone a month early, cancel my Treo soon as the contract is up, and port my number on the last day. (I was told you can port a number within 30 days of activating a new AT&T account).

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Come on Cool Cat you don't want to take the little ones in with you? make it a family event... take pictures next to the super-sized demo display and if the sales rep is not helpful you can set them loose in the store to run a muck.

I have to wait to make the iPhone purchase, but plan on stopping by my local Apple store at lunch to do a little people watching and see how well the whole process flows. Good luck to you

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Yup. While some people will want a new number if they're new to AT&T, most people will likely want to transfer their number from another carrier, canceling that account, in which case you'd need those. Otherwise if you want a new number you'll be fine without those, whether you're brand new to a wireless phone or opening another account on a different carrier keeping your old one. In fact I'm tempted to shoot my plan down to next to nothing on July 24 on my Treo on Verizon for the last month I have so I'll pay like $40 for the month (way better than $175 ETF) and buy and iPhone a month early, cancel my Treo soon as the contract is up, and port my number on the last day. (I was told you can port a number within 30 days of activating a new AT&T account).

Alright good.
I wouldn't know where even to look for that information if my life depended on it. I'm really disappointed in this whole thing. Buying a phone should not be this difficult.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Maybe they need authorization to cancel your other account?

What if you don't want to cancel your account initially. Can't you just try it for the 14 days and port your number later if you like it? I just want to make sure it works in the place I go.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
... I have to wait to make the iPhone purchase, but plan on stopping by my local Apple store at lunch to do a little people watching and see how well the whole process flows. Good luck to you

Ha. I was going to do the exact same thing. I won't start my process until the end of July but I can't wait to see all the maniacs on July 11.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73