"iPhone 3g" - Good or bad name???

"iPhone 3g" Good or Bad name???

• Good?

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Bad?

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • I don't care what it is called... I just want it now!

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Impulse622

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 3G.

don't you think it sounds a bit weird. i mean like, it's not the only new feature. it's like making it, iPhone GPS.

what do you think they should have named it, if you think they should have.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
What is strange for me is that iPods are typically referred to as 1g 2g 3g 4g etc. based on their generation. Technically this is a "2g iPhone 3g."

In my opinion, this is not a new iPhone, rather the first gen iPhone that got a couple new features. Kinda like the iPhone 1.5. Still not sure what I would name it.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I put that it is a bad name based on this one reason alone... it is hard to Google and will only get worse in the future.
When Googling iPhone 3g you must put "quotations" around "iPhone 3g" or you will end up with pages upon pages of info about the old iPhone and info about 3 generation Apple products. Even with quotes I end up with a lot of info about the old iPhone. However, if it was called the iPhone Bamboozle (just made that up... I don't think it would be a good name) you would find the info you are seeking immediately.
Calling it the iPhone 3g also makes future Googling difficult as the newest iPhone at the time will most certainly have 3g (unless we have moved on to 4g by then).

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Haha I like the secondcomingphone as a joke sounds like something for SNL.I dont think most people even think of it as it's official title. I think they think "NEW IPHONE"

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
i really don't care, but i think the name that BEST fits apple is just iphone. i mean they have done it with the ipod for years.they would just identify it as iphone g1, iphone g2, etc.

Impulse622

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
i really don't care, but i think the name that BEST fits apple is just iphone. i mean they have done it with the ipod for years.they would just identify it as iphone g1, iphone g2, etc.

yeah that`s what i was thinking. but i don`t think it would be as appropriate because most phones change the name for each new gen of the phone. whilst, mp3 players don`t

hobyphone

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I don't know, I think iPhone 3G makes sense; the biggest feature addition is that it can do 3G data. Yes, it's a different naming convention than with the iPods, but that's more of an unofficial naming convention anyway. Up until they came out with the iPod Classic, the regular iPods were all just called "iPod." The generation thing was only used as a means of distinguishing when necessary.

rosaxoparks

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I think the naming decision was in the same vein as the Xbox 360. Iphone2 would have made it sound behind things like the blackberry bold and the sidekick 3 and more. By adding the 3G, the iPhone sounds like it has a longer legacy.

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I thought it was a bad name but the name also suggested that this new iPhone is only a slight upgrade over the original iPhone (mainly with the 3G and GPS chips). The next iteration of iPhone should see a more robust upgrade/redesign and the name will hopefully be more creative.

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Michigan Capital

At least for the Lansing Michigan area they should have called it the #G Maybe iPhone since our area doe snot have 3G coverage as of yet.

mtsfestivus

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
What is strange for me is that iPods are typically referred to as 1g 2g 3g 4g etc. based on their generation. Technically this is a "2g iPhone 3g."

In my opinion, this is not a new iPhone, rather the first gen iPhone that got a couple new features. Kinda like the iPhone 1.5. Still not sure what I would name it.

I'd have to concur with this. I think it's a good name, but I'm slightly thrown since I'm used to the iPod generations.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner