So, what are you doing to prepare for iPhone 3G?

Mihai

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
This will be my first iPhone so I don't really know what to do to prepare for it. I didn't have any experience in using one.
From what I've read here, I should organise my music, test several options for converting videos to be iPhone compatible (btw, what file format should be a video file to be played on an iPhone?) and what I'm really doing is finding some more money to buy one. I don't have yet all the money.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Absolutely nothing. All my crap is in order already and since I've had my soon-to-be old school iPhone 2G since June 30th 2007, I will be able to import all my stuff from that phone into my new iPhone 3G once the latter lands.

I'm arriving in NYC at 7PM this Thursday and will be staying with a friend, who just moved into a new apartment in lower Manhattan, for the weekend. We're both getting iPhone 3G's and I'm looking for a weekend of iPhone 3G geekery, browsing the App Store at 3G speeds, testing the GPS in the middle of Manhattan, and first and foremost: getting wasted nightly--in NYC.

I couldn't be more excited.

mtsfestivus

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I was at an AT&T store yesterday and I asked if I could have my credit pre-approved and the sales guy said that even if I had it checked early they would still have to run it again on Friday.

Anyone else run into this?

wingfan

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I was at an AT&T store yesterday and I asked if I could have my credit pre-approved and the sales guy said that even if I had it checked early they would still have to run it again on Friday.

Anyone else run into this?

That's interesting since at&t's youtube videos even say to do what you did to save time, I mean to be "iReady"

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
if you think i started preparing this week your sadly mistaken... i've been at it full on for almost a month . . . but really i've been off an on for the whole year.

i've:​
  • started using addressbook
  • tried to get all my friends AIM, e-mail, and phone #s into one v-card
  • sorted the pics that i want to have on the phone into an album in iPhoto
  • Made a playlist with the music i want on the phone
  • started making ringtones with garageband
  • watching all the videos that i can find about iPhone
  • read every iPhone article i could load onto my computer . . .
  • and much more . . . i dont want to be a post hog . . .

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I plan on buying my phone from an Apple store and the guy at my at&t store told me to wait because Apple is going to run a credit check anyways so no point in getting pre-approved at at&t. I think I will have a better chance getting from an Apple store considering that at&t sold last year and Apple still had them in stock.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
1. Getting on my wife's AT&T individual account so I'm authorized to change it to a family account on July 11.
2. Selling my current iPod and LG phone on ebay.
3. Moving all of my calendars to iCal and contacts to Address Book from Google Calendar and GMail using the SpanningSync Demo.
4. Paring down the media I have on my 30GB iPod to fit onto my 16GB iPhone. (I needed to do this anyway.)
5. Investigating ways to get away with losing SMS (not willing to pay the extra $5/month) by using Mail, Twitterific for iPhone, and other web/native apps.
6. Making a tentative list of apps I'm going to buy from the App Store at launch, if possible.
7. Ordering a couple of cases.

I think that covers everything, although I'm probably missing a step.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
I plan on buying my phone from an Apple store and the guy at my at&t store told me to wait because Apple is going to run a credit check anyways so no point in getting pre-approved at at&t. I think I will have a better chance getting from an Apple store considering that at&t sold last year and Apple still had them in stock.

That's exactly what the AT&T guy told me too. I wanted to get it out of the way, but if they say wait, I'll wait.

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
That's exactly what the AT&T guy told me too. I wanted to get it out of the way, but if they say wait, I'll wait.

I decided to wait because there is no point in getting an at&t credit check then they sell out and end up buying from apple store only to do another credit check. I don't want too many hits on my credit.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm gonna use my debit card, which based on my own logic, should let me skip a credit check entirely. Of course the fact that I've been with AT&T for a year (with an iPhone), might help me out as well :)

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I have never heard of a company running a credit check on an existing customer. As long as you pay your bills in full and on time, I couldn't see a reason why.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I have never heard of a company running a credit check on an existing customer. As long as you pay your bills in full and on time, I couldn't see a reason why.

Last I checked, I can say "I do" to both of those conditions! I have auto-bill pay turned on so I don't have to worry about paying anything late.

I should be fine, then :)

gadgetluva

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
Had a scare today - thought that my newly formatted/organized PC bit the big one - turned out that the PS was bad. Swapped it out and back up and running. Luckily, I backed up everything to an external HDD anyways.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
I'm gonna use my debit card, which based on my own logic, should let me skip a credit check entirely. Of course the fact that I've been with AT&T for a year (with an iPhone), might help me out as well :)

Debit cards have nothing to do with it. They want to gauge your ability to pay for the mobile plan you're getting, because they are subsidizing the phone over the life of that contract. They want to make sure you won't go bankrupt and leave them high and dry.

But, since you're an existing customer, it's a moot point anyway. They won't do a credit check.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Debit cards have nothing to do with it. They want to gauge your ability to pay for the mobile plan you're getting, because they are subsidizing the phone over the life of that contract. They want to make sure you won't go bankrupt and leave them high and dry.

But, since you're an existing customer, it's a moot point anyway. They won't do a credit check.

Understood. Also, a bar I was at over the weekend failed to return said debit card to me at the end of the night, so I don't even have it anymore. I'll have to use my credit card on Friday. Does that make a difference? The only reason I could see it making a difference is that I won't use a card that's associated with the account that I used to pay AT&T over the course of the past year. It will be a credit card unrelated to that account (though still from the same bank, Bank of America). Since I'm an existing customer, however, I'm hoping it still won't make any difference and that they'll take my CC without issue.

Besides, I'm planning on going to an Apple Store and not an AT&T store.

Last edited:

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't matter what credit card or debit card you use to pay for the phone. Just as long as it gets approved then you'll be ok.

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
At this point my preparations include crossing my fingers and hoping to win a free iPhone. My other option is waiting until September when funds free up for a unit. totally bummed that I have to stick with my paper weight of a phone that has Sprint service attached, but you gotta do what you gotta do, ya know.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
At this point my preparations include crossing my fingers and hoping to win a free iPhone. My other option is waiting until September when funds free up for a unit. totally bummed that I have to stick with my paper weight of a phone that has Sprint service attached, but you gotta do what you gotta do, ya know.
How are you intending to win a free iPhone? Through this very blog's contest or some other way?
Also, you can always cancel your service early :)

tankgunk

Jul 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm not doing much to prepare for an iPhone, and I still don't know if I'm going to wait in line or wait for a week or two. Anyway, here's my bulleted list.

• Setting up Mail.app with Gmail IMAP so I don't have to pay for MobileMe...
  • Deciding if I should wait for a prepaid option to appear.
  • Trying to find a good case, debating having a naked iPhone.
  • Spending too much time reading everything online that is iPhone 3G related.
  • Getting very excited.

EDIT: There's a contest? *reads up on contest* Well, I guess you can add crossing fingers to my list too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh