I didn't hear about it in the keynote, but do you guys think the new iPhone 3G's safari will support flash?
    07-03-2008 01:59 AM
    No. While Adobe announce they had a beta version running in the iPhone simulator, I highly doubt it will ship with the new iPhone.

I think the better question is "Will iPhone ever support flash?"
    07-03-2008 02:15 AM
    Yes - that is the question.
    07-03-2008 08:16 AM
    I think it's a few months off, but I do think they'll introduce it as a software upgrade at some point. Not that I know anything but there's an awful lot of talk about it.

IPhone: Adobe Getting Flash Prepped for iPhone, if Only Apple Will Allow It
    07-03-2008 08:22 AM
    I just hope that Flash will be an option if/when it finally gets released for the iPhone. It's bad enough that there's no Saft or AdBlock-like feature in Mobile Safari that I waste most of my bandwidth and time loading ad images and junk.
    07-03-2008 08:43 AM
    No. While Adobe announce they had a beta version running in the iPhone simulator, I highly doubt it will ship with the new iPhone.

Although I'd really like to see it, I'm doubtful we will anytime soon. Jobs seems bound & determined to keep his love child Adobe free. And once Steve decides that something is going to happen in Cupertino, well, it usually does. Unless a few million people decide to NOT buy an iPhone and tell him that is the reason, then Apple will continue to do it their way. I mean - that's literally why Exchange support was finally added. In order to gain penetration into the business market (and steal some of RIM's market share) they HAD to offer full integration. And that meant going to Microsoft with checkbook in hand.
    07-03-2008 08:44 AM
    Maybe if Apple ever buys Adobe, it'll be a different story...

source
    07-03-2008 08:53 AM
    I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that the Safari browser did support flash mostly because I was aware it was able to stream youtube videos which I assumed were flash-based (aren't most embedded videos?). Could anyone clarify why the iPhone can stream Youtube but the BlackBerry Curve, which I own, and others I'm sure can't?
    07-03-2008 08:56 AM
    Flash is something that we all have been waiting for. I don't believe they would be keeping it a secret, unless they have a bunch of other secrets (like cut-and-paste) for maximum impact on the day of the release.
    07-03-2008 12:10 PM
    This could be one of those areas where even the great Steve cannot stop the train. Flash is so widespread throughout the internet, how can it continue as the de facto handheld web browser without it. I'd bet it will show up in OS 2.1 alongside cut & paste (another "what are they thinking" moment)
    07-03-2008 01:44 PM
    I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that the Safari browser did support flash mostly because I was aware it was able to stream youtube videos which I assumed were flash-based (aren't most embedded videos?). Could anyone clarify why the iPhone can stream Youtube but the BlackBerry Curve, which I own, and others I'm sure can't?
    Nope the iPhone doesnt have flash, youtube is just converting their videos to a format that the iPhone can view. So most other videos that are on the net you can't view.
    07-03-2008 02:19 PM
    Nope the iPhone doesnt have flash, youtube is just converting their videos to a format that the iPhone can view. So most other videos that are on the net you can't view.
    That is quite a disappointment to me. Would anyone be able to confirm if the videos located on a site I frequent, MLG | Major League Gaming (it's a competitive gaming site) could be loaded on the iPhone as of now?

If someone would be so kind (that has an iPhone of course) to point their browser to MLG | Major League Gaming and then go to the "Gameroom" link at the top and attempt to stream one of those videos, it would be most appreciated.

I don't know what I could do in return but these forums have been incredibly helpful since I signed up a few days ago, so I'm hoping for the best.
    07-03-2008 02:21 PM
    BUMP.

I'm really looking for an answer to the above question. I've not considered other forums yet but any help would be appreciated immensely
    07-03-2008 06:03 PM
    I think it's a few months off, but I do think they'll introduce it as a software upgrade at some point. Not that I know anything but there's an awful lot of talk about it.

IPhone: Adobe Getting Flash Prepped for iPhone, if Only Apple Will Allow It
    Apple cannot change the laws of physics and will not engage in a futile fight to do so. It is a battery issue.
    07-03-2008 06:34 PM
    That is quite a disappointment to me. Would anyone be able to confirm if the videos located on a site I frequent, MLG | Major League Gaming (it's a competitive gaming site) could be loaded on the iPhone as of now?

If someone would be so kind (that has an iPhone of course) to point their browser to MLG | Major League Gaming and then go to the "Gameroom" link at the top and attempt to stream one of those videos, it would be most appreciated.

I don't know what I could do in return but these forums have been incredibly helpful since I signed up a few days ago, so I'm hoping for the best.
    Nope sorry man they dont play they just show up as a white box where the video should be. I know its lame when Steve Jobs says " the full internet in your pocket" he really means as full as we see fit.
    07-03-2008 09:10 PM
    I'm a flash developer and I really am happy there's no flash on the iPhone. In fact, it's really made me reconsider flash in general, and pushed me towards more css, ajax, etc.

Flash has really pour performance on OS X (memory hog and processor stressor, which would kill battery life), powers umteen annoying banner adds, and has immense privacy and security flaws:

Flash on iPhone: Video Dream or Privacy Nightmare? | The iPhone Blog
    07-03-2008 09:38 PM
    But so much of life uses flash. i give it 'till next time this year.
    07-03-2008 09:48 PM
    If battery life is such a problem, they should make flash optional on a per page basis..
    07-03-2008 11:29 PM
    No, Flash won't be supported in iPhone 2.0 (the iPhone 3G included). I don't think it'll ever be supported. If it ever is I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    07-04-2008 01:19 AM
    Hope Apple will change it's mind on this matter. Nowadays, Flash is everywhere. And not just on YouTube and other video sites, but there are full-Flash websites out there.
    07-04-2008 04:29 PM
    Hopefully flash will come in a future update
    07-05-2008 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD