iPhone 3G First Look

rsands

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Are you serious? Is the iPhone 3G really going to cost twice as much monthly as the EDGE does? That's definitely going to change people's plans about buying one.

Sinistar

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Are you serious? Is the iPhone 3G really going to cost twice as much monthly as the EDGE does? That's definitely going to change people's plans about buying one.

$10 dollars more a month. $20+ 50%=$30 for data. So prob gonna around $70 total unless they change something at the last minute(that newly released Rogers plan kinda scares me lol)

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site

No, it's not twice as much. 50% increase (maybe more). AT&T is moving the iPhone into the "standard PDA data pricing" tier along with the Tilt, et. al. All you can eat data plans here in the US will be $30 per month (up $10 from $20 previously for the iPhone) but those will probably not include any messaging. Current ATT pricing on that is from $5/month for 200 up to unlimited for $15 or whatever. So, we're probably looking at $35 per month for unlimited data + 200 messages up to $45 per month for unlimited data + unlimited messaging. Personally, I pay $35 per month with ATT currently for blackberry unlimited + 1500 messages so it's going to be an increase (which sucks). Hope that helps.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
it isn't even a question wether to get a shield.i don't know about a case though. i kind of wanna brag to the hatters, yah know?

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I don't understand why if you pay for a data plan you have to pay extra for texting - isn't it basically the same thing?

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
I don't understand why if you pay for a data plan you have to pay extra for texting - isn't it basically the same thing?

Aloha Robin,

Apparently AT&T is treating the 3G iPhone like all other smartphones they carry - the standard data plan is $30/month with texts starting at $20/month for 200, going up to $30/month for unlimited. That's part of the price of the 3G iPhone, although I am not one of those who calculate the TCO (total cost of ownership) at the outset of purchasing a new cell phone.

All in all, it's not really that bad. No one is forcing anyone to purchase the new iPhone. I've even seen complaints such as "we don't have 3G in my area, but I want the new iPhone. I don't see why I have to pay for the 3G data plan in my area." If you want the new iPhone, you'll have to pay AT&T's price.

I would like to get the 200 SMS text message with the 3G iPhone that I currently enjoy, but I'll get by without them - I really don't want to pay extra for SMS. Here in Honolulu, we are socked with 3G, so I'll be pretty stoked with the new iPhone. I don't need the GPS, as I have the Nav system in my vehicle, but it will come in handy while on vacation.

HawaiiMacAddict

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
iPhone data plan will be $30/mo (same as all other PDAs and BlackBerrys)

Text packages start at $5 for 200, $15 for 1500 and $20 for unlimited (there is a 4th tier of unlimited across all lines of a family plan for $30)

This is a change and increase from the original iPhone, but the original iPhone was given special treatment. Due to the new arrangements between At&T and Apple, the 3G iPhone is being treated like any other smartphone and will have to get a normal smartphone data plan and pay separately for text packages.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Black! Saw the one shot of the white back and it is a no-brainer for me personally. Already ordered a set of BodyGuardz though - that'll be a scratch, fingerprint & smudge magnet. :mad:

I've preordered an InvisibleSHIELD already.
The white would go great with my Macbook and other accessories. Plus, the white one is only available for the 16GB. It has a sense of 'limited-edition-ness'.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
that was my thought exactly. if you have black then people are like "8 or 16?" but if you have white everyone knows you got the 16. also, its like
white=nice, classy and black=gangsta.
it's like which will look worse when it scratches

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Some have already described the white as "feminine". I don't know if I'd go there but it just doesn't look right compared to the black casing IMHO. Gangsta? Nah - more like Vader.

I'm not a bling and announce guy though so it doesn't matter to me if people "know" I have an 8GB or 16GB model. Then again, I'm an engineer so simple + efficient = better. Besides, my car is white so gotta have some contrast in there, yes? :p

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I will miss the matte metal finish on the original. My iPhone looks as good today as it did on day one when I took it out of that beautiful box. (I still have not been able to bring myself to throw that box away.)

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

I don't know - actually no one knows yet - just how scratch-resistant Apple has made the new backing. It does seem that the white model will show dirt and smudges better than the black model, but the black model has shown more scratches, at least in the pictures we've seen thus far. I'm holding out hope that the test unit, seen in the hands-on review, does not have the same backing as the production model. Of course, we don't know just which "tests" were conducted on that model - they could have used sandpaper on the backing to see just how scratch-resistant it was :eek:

I'm a bit torn on the color issue myself. My 5th gen iPod is white, as well as my iMac, but the black and silver looks really nice. I am a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan who works with an Oakland Raiders fan, and he thinks I should get the black model as it has the same colors as the Raiders :D

All I know is that I want to get this iPhone, even if I have to wait until August, which is when AT&T says I'm upgrade eligible.

HawaiiMacAddict

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2