I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd bet there will be a new one sometime in June / July

I also have the feeling that 2.3 will not be coming and instead the next update will 3.0 with the release of the 3.0 iPhone.
    01-10-2009 06:23 PM
    Wow, June or July? That would be awesome!

I wonder how they'll change it not only hardware-wise but externally also. Will it be slimmer? Harder? Shaped differently?

I just hope Apple stays on the right track as they have, for the most part, been on as far as designing awesome technology goes.
    01-11-2009 12:41 PM
    My guess is that there will probably be a bump up in storage capacity. Maybe built-in Nike+ support like the Touch.
    01-11-2009 08:23 PM
    I was one of those lunatics that waited in line for the 3G on opening day...IIRC, it was Friday July 13? I remember coming armed with nothing more than my Treo 700p and learning the hard way that even in the heart of summer, it STILL gets cold during the early morning hours in Chicago.

As it stands right now, I can't say I'll be doing that again (I'll just wait a few months before getting generation 3), but you never know if the madness will overcome me again...
    01-11-2009 08:38 PM
    My guess is that there will probably be a bump up in storage capacity. Maybe built-in Nike+ support like the Touch.
    I would think the same. Although, I don't know if I would need more than 16Gb for the phone...at least not while I have MobileMe.

I was one of those lunatics that waited in line for the 3G on opening day...IIRC, it was Friday July 13? I remember coming armed with nothing more than my Treo 700p and learning the hard way that even in the heart of summer, it STILL gets cold during the early morning hours in Chicago.

As it stands right now, I can't say I'll be doing that again (I'll just wait a few months before getting generation 3), but you never know if the madness will overcome me again...
    Lunatic? No, that is dedication sir. If you do it, I'll do it. I should mention I am far south of you but we could do a contest perhaps?
    01-12-2009 12:58 AM
    Hopefully the next gen will be available for vzw
    01-12-2009 03:31 AM
    @MrEClass,

We'll see. The biggest difference is that last year I was eager to dump my Treo of 2 years and try the new iPhone (having never had one before). This time around, I'm satisfied with the 3G-in fact, I'm hardly done playing with it (having only had it since last July), so I'm not in a hurry to buy a new phone just yet.

@Surf:

IIRC, Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ends in 2010 (?) so it wouldn't be for a while.
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 01-12-2009 at 06:11 AM.
    01-12-2009 06:02 AM
    I also hope they have it for verizon so I can go back. The At&t plan isnt to good in my area.
    01-12-2009 06:40 PM
    Well don't forget how Verizon snubbed Apple. Realistically I don't see a reason for Apple to need to go to Verizon. There definitely hasn't been a lack of success for the iPhone with At&t.
    01-12-2009 10:42 PM
    I also hope they have it for verizon so I can go back. The At&t plan isnt to good in my area.
    I live in southern California and AT&T is by far the worst carrier to have. Everyone I know complains about the horrible customer service and how they never have a signal on their phone.
    01-13-2009 02:11 AM
    Hopefully the next gen will be available for vzw
    Yeah, I think Apple should definitely start offering the iPhone to more networks and then the iPhone will make an even greater impact!
    @MrEClass,

We'll see. The biggest difference is that last year I was eager to dump my Treo of 2 years and try the new iPhone (having never had one before). This time around, I'm satisfied with the 3G-in fact, I'm hardly done playing with it (having only had it since last July), so I'm not in a hurry to buy a new phone just yet.

@Surf:

IIRC, Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ends in 2010 (?) so it wouldn't be for a while.
    I have only had mine since the beginning of August but definitely wouldn't mind a new one this summer. I'm sure the people @ Apple will mind me not giving them the $$ it costs though haha
    01-15-2009 09:16 PM
    I think an iPhone HD would be cool, one that has a greater screen resolution. That would be sweet for watching videos and playing games, and it just so happens that those are the two things I plan on doing as soon as I can get an iPhone.
    01-22-2009 02:30 AM
    Yes, an HD iPhone would only make the phone even more ridiculously ahead and better than its "competitors!" :o
    01-24-2009 01:07 AM
    I wonder what the WOW factor would be for video conferencing + a center screen lens (patent app for this by Apple).
    01-24-2009 03:58 PM
    A lens in the screen itself? How does that work?
    01-29-2009 11:42 PM
    The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that we can think of hundreds of things we would like for the next iPhone, and which seem logical enough considering the production lines of related companies, but Apple usually hold off on a lot of things, and it makes me hope that they won't just go "OK, it's got 32GB, and it has a new camera...and that's it", just like they did with the iPhone 3G.

From February until June. That's plenty of time to put in every feature you can think of:

MMS
    32GB
    copy and paste
    a new (possibly 3 or 5 megapixel) camera, with flash and zoom/autofocus
    a front-facing camera
    video calling
    video recording
    Flash support
    a back button?
    stereo Bluetooth
    tethering
    longer battery power
    HD screen

To name but a few there. But I'm cautious. Apple could hold back on things like the camera, or the video features, as they always seem to do. I wouldn't mind if all the hardware was in place and the software available later via a download or upgrade. I just really want it to be the best device Apple can offer the market right now.
    02-01-2009 03:35 PM
    The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that we can think of hundreds of things we would like for the next iPhone, and which seem logical enough considering the production lines of related companies, but Apple usually hold off on a lot of things, and it makes me hope that they won't just go "OK, it's got 32GB, and it has a new camera...and that's it", just like they did with the iPhone 3G.

From February until June. That's plenty of time to put in every feature you can think of:

MMS
    32GB
    copy and paste
    a new (possibly 3 or 5 megapixel) camera, with flash and zoom/autofocus
    a front-facing camera
    video calling
    video recording
    Flash support
    a back button?
    stereo Bluetooth
    tethering
    longer battery power
    HD screen

To name but a few there. But I'm cautious. Apple could hold back on things like the camera, or the video features, as they always seem to do. I wouldn't mind if all the hardware was in place and the software available later via a download or upgrade. I just really want it to be the best device Apple can offer the market right now.
    I could not have said it any better.
    02-03-2009 10:50 PM
    There are rumors of the code name going from 1,1 to 1,2 to 2,1 for the latest suggesting a bigger hardware update than the previous jump...we shall see
    02-03-2009 11:12 PM
    Better camera, better memory, maybe something revolutionary like multi-touch was. Everyone else tries to copy the IPhone, so it has to stay a step ahead, and minimal iteration is not going to do it.
    02-04-2009 11:07 AM
    I really like the idea of being able to upload videos straight to youtube from the iPhone.

I would like:
    Improved Camera - 5mp? with FLASH (or LED for video)
    COPY PASTE!
    MMS
    Video Functionality
    Improved Bluetooth
    a bigger (HD) screen without making the phone bigger
    possibly more slimline from all angles?
    more scratch resistant
    Flash support
    a 64 GB model so I can actually watch full length films
    CHEAPER! haha
    Also I would like the microphone hands free to be separate to the apple headphones (which are crappy)
    Faster chips
    more of the multi touch features
    And of course a much improved battery. I end up lugging my laptop around on long journeys purely to give it some juice towards the end!
    02-04-2009 01:23 PM
    There are rumors of the code name going from 1,1 to 1,2 to 2,1 for the latest suggesting a bigger hardware update than the previous jump...we shall see
    Even so, they have skimped on features before, and knowing me, it'll be the one feature I wanted!

Still, it is nice to see this rumour so early, as we seem a bit more optimistic of more major changes to the iPhone.
    02-04-2009 08:54 PM
    My perfect next gen iPhone would have the same form factor but have a bigger screen with higher resolution. The phone would have multi-tasking cabilities and push. It would also be nice if there were more cutomization options like keyboard color LOL idk to be honest no matter what it is I'm getting it and I'm going to love it.
    02-05-2009 10:48 AM
    1. 32G w/ TomTom GPS software & maps "onboard"
    2. Video camera (+ video calls, send pix & video without attaching to email)
    3. Chromium shell in colors like the the nanos and shuffles
    4. Better mapping to MS Outlook features (Contact categories, block space on calendar as Free/Busy/Tentative/Out of Office)
    02-07-2009 11:39 PM
    the new iphone needs a couple of things:
    1. secondary camera
    2. better main camera
    3. longer battery life
    4. copy n paste!
    5. MMS
    6. forward / delete texts
    7. status notifier
    8. better speaker
    9. a native chat client
    10. wifi wireless n
    11. slightly larger screen with higher resolution
    12. adobe flash
    13. camera flash
    14. bluetooth file exchange
    15...can't really think of anything else but im sure there's more haha
    02-08-2009 03:48 PM
    I sincerely hope that several of those will see fruition in June/July.

1. Secondary camera - If Apple are planning on iChat video conferencing, and this is highly likely, then it's a given.
    2. Better main camera - I'd like at least 3 or 3.2 megapixels, maybe 5. Of course, this won't improve picture quality, but it would match many smartphones on the market.
    3. Longer battery life - If the other features are also brought in, then this is certain.
    4. Copy and paste - Really overdue, and should be in there.
    5. MMS - Hopeful for this, for the same reason as copy and paste.
    6. Forward/delete texts - The same for 4 and 5, much overdue.
    7. Status notifier - Not as important, but probably a simple software update.
    8. Better speaker - Possible, perhaps if Bluetooth is made stereo, but perhaps unlikely.
    9. A native chat client - iChat, if video conferencing happens.
    10. Wifi wireless N - Hopeful, but maybe not.
    11. Slightly larger screen with higher resolution - Possible, although we could still have HD on the current screen, but reports suggest one is circling around out there.
    12. Adobe Flash - Apple and Adobe are working on a solution to the problem, and with 5 months until June, it should be solved by then, I would've thought.
    13. Camera flash - If a camera improvement is made, and to bring it in line with other phones, then yes, definitely.
    14. Bluetooth file exchange - Maybe, but not as likely as the others.
    15. Zoom or autofocus perhaps?
    16. 32GB, please!
    02-08-2009 06:59 PM
105 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD