New iPhone (the next iPhone after iPhone 3G)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
There will probably be a few revs before 4G (which based on 3G/HSDPA usage would mean wireless 4G/LTE usage), as it will take years to get reasonable deployment for those.

There will probably be a spike to 32GB when Apple switches to the 16GB flash chips.

Video is software, not hardware, and there are technical reasons (no focus) that we may see 2mp stay for the camera for a while. Better battery, 802.11n WiFi, higher screen res (640x480), and other internal tweaks are probably more likely short-term than 4G.

LonerATO

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
There will probably be a few revs before 4G (which based on 3G/HSDPA usage would mean wireless 4G/LTE usage), as it will take years to get reasonable deployment for those.

There will probably be a spike to 32GB when Apple switches to the 16GB flash chips.

Video is software, not hardware, and there are technical reasons (no focus) that we may see 2mp stay for the camera for a while. Better battery, 802.11n WiFi, higher screen res (640x480), and other internal tweaks are probably more likely short-term than 4G.

there will have to be a number of future models before you see a 4g model since LTE isn't even close to being ready to launch. AT&T said they would not drop LTE till 2012

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
A funny thing: there was a 4G iPhone ad in my local Craig's List. It was the original iPhone and probably on accident, but I chuckled.

Probably a 4GB... the poster was prolly thinking four gig and put 4G.

I see the iPhone 4G having video conferencing and video calls. That is enough to make nearly everyone want to upgrade.

alexlin9008

Aug 21, 2008
Visit site
Maybe some of the big things will include:
Shrinkable, foldable iphone?
I heard there were a new kind of battery that can make a computer last for days, maybe something similar for the iphone?
Iphone camera shooting laser beams?.... Ok that isn't going to happen.

Hmm... People seem to buy iphone for the features, but other phones are usually bought for the "phone" itself. No one seems to care about the network. It is possible that apple or AT&T will add a new feature of the network?

Something similar to the app store upgrade, but a little different.
Intel is making a new kind of chip, but maybe new ones will come out for the iphone.
Conference calls.
Camera being able to go on front or back.

Just think of all the upgrades that they did last time, and then try to find out how to make those better.

Last edited:

MPKU

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
I think the next gen iPhone will be available in multiple colors, but I don't think there will be much of an upgrade beyond that and making it faster.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'd like to see them make what they have better, not necessarily new features. Longer battery, better gps apps, faster 3g,

Oh and better apps. Aside from a few games and streaming apps, apple's control over them is old and could get me to switch to another later. Slingbox comes to mind, tethering app, etc. It's getting pathetic having to sort through all the trash apps to find maybe 4-5 decent ones.

What apple has going for them is what they need to keep in mind. The whole experience of the touch screen, how easy it is to navigate, screen res, great kb, browser, etc.

Keep in mind as well, some say opera on the touch diamond is a better web experience than the iphone 3g. If that Diamond responds well to touch, isn't too sluggish, and can be used to type with well, ..well let's just say apple has work to do. Even so, the touch pro could alleviate that kb concern. But in the end, i can tweak the diamond, run the apps i really want, not to mention be on a much faster, cheaper network.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'd like to see them make what they have better, not necessarily new features. Longer battery, better gps apps, faster 3g,

Oh and better apps. Aside from a few games and streaming apps, apple's control over them is old and could get me to switch to another later. Slingbox comes to mind, tethering app, etc. It's getting pathetic having to sort through all the trash apps to find maybe 4-5 decent ones.

What apple has going for them is what they need to keep in mind. The whole experience of the touch screen, how easy it is to navigate, screen res, great kb, browser, etc.

Keep in mind as well, some say opera on the touch diamond is a better web experience than the iphone 3g. If that Diamond responds well to touch, isn't too sluggish, and can be used to type with well, ..well let's just say apple has work to do. Even so, the touch pro could alleviate that kb concern. But in the end, i can tweak the diamond, run the apps i really want, not to mention be on a much faster, cheaper network.

I'm sure things like longer battery life, faster data, etc will be things that are improved on for sure. As for the issues with the apps and app store you mention, I think that is what will happen when you open up the door to developers. No different on any other video game console or pc/mac. Some programs are pure garbage while some are golden. But just because they are garbage does not mean they don't belong there. Someone will buy it no matter what.

Chessin

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Better Iphone features

1. Better camera at least 3 megapixels only if apple wants to compare to other companies.
2.Better resolution screen
3.slightly bigger screen(maybe)
4.louder speakers
5.Bluetooth 2.1+edr so you can transfer files without jailbreaking it
6.Gps with turn by turn directions with the maps made by garmin or tomtom
7.Better colors for back of it and definitely more scratch resistance
8.Lighter it would feel much better in pocket.
9.Better cpu chips.
10.I would hopefully expect to find a slide out keyboard (PLEASE APPLE)
11.MMS
12.Video Messaging
13.Please no chrome bezels(it gets scratched so much and people notice it..)
14.Less bugs
15.Also At&t should fix their 3g problems and make it faster anyway they could

Also it would be awesome by customizing your software so you could add your own features without apple judging it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That iPhone slate that was seen on Gizmodo yesterday looks really cool... would be super sweet if that turns out to be real.

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Bad Ash: Link for the iPhone slate on Gizmodo, if possible.

Also, I would not like this phone as much if it had a slide out keyboard. Soft keyboard is amazing, in my view. Whatever happened with projected keyboards (don't know the real term for this)? Keyboards that are projected onto any surface and you can type on like a standard keyboard. I saw them and those a while back, but nothing recently. I would like to see that, even though it's pretty impractical for a cell phone.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Bad Ash: Link for the iPhone slate on Gizmodo, if possible.

Also, I would not like this phone as much if it had a slide out keyboard. Soft keyboard is amazing, in my view. Whatever happened with projected keyboards (don't know the real term for this)? Keyboards that are projected onto any surface and you can type on like a standard keyboard. I saw them and those a while back, but nothing recently. I would like to see that, even though it's pretty impractical for a cell phone.

Here is the link you are looking for. Has the gizmodo link in it.

iPhone HD Speculation Increasing? | The iPhone Blog

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh