iPhone 3G - mmmm, just not sold...

Supes2000

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
After a couple of days of the iPhone news sinking in, I have to say that I am far less excited about the notion of upgrading than I expected to be. I am waiting to read, hear or see something from someone that is taking in all this news from a point of view that want to kepp thier iPhone gen 1. Since I have yet to see it, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. To be truthful, I am down right ticked off about the price of iPhone 2.0, $100 lower I can see but another $200!?!?! I tell you, I'm mad -- but that's another conversation.

Now, let me state my position, and then the debate may begin...

Okay so here's iPhone 3G:

• 3G
  • GPS
  • 2.0 software
  • games
  • enterprise
  • mobile me

Why would I TRULY upgrade....I'll talk about 3G in a minute.

On to GPS.
I have a TomTom that I love, and its way better than what I've seen in Google maps and tracking. So scratch that one; I mean you have to pretty slow not to be able to A, read a google map, B, use the current location function, and C, come on!?!??!

2.0 software. Er...I can that on iPhone Gen 1, nuff said.

Games. App store, also coming to iPhone Gen 1...and for that matter, I have issues with native apps, save a few games and maybe a book or two (I've posted about this before....)

Enterprise. Could care less. I bought the iPhone as a personal media device for music, movies, podcasts, internet and oh yeah, a phone. If I wanted a business device, I'd have a bought a blackberry...I understand where Apple wants to go here...its just not for me.

Mobile Me. Again, could care less. I am just not that busy, that I need push anything....sorry.

3G -- This one is the biggie; but if I am honest with how I use my phone, and the internet; it makes no difference to me...let me explain:

I use Safari for quick mobile info gathering, which is usually reading RSS, news and ebooks. Mony of these sites have already created iPhone site that maximize readability while not comprimising the rich iPhone experience.

Those sites that don't I use Googles mobilize link (http://www.google.com/gwt/n) and there too, all the data that I want, photos included are still there. After seeing Jobs demo the side by side EDGE versus 3G comparison, I thought I'd perform my own test.

Okay, with 4 bars, on EDGE, in my home, a cleared cache both times, I loaded www.elvis.com, a good complex site.

Full page - 57 seconds, not bad, again, I am not THAT busy.

Googlized Mobile page - 11 seconds - All data is still there!! Hmmm, that rivals 3G!!! - And, when I click the HTML link at the bottom of the googlized page to see the full site, that took 27 seconds...

Here's what I am saying, 3G is nice, I'd love to have it, but I'd probably not change that way I use Safari. I am not a fan of the new pricing plan, and I'd have to find a way to dump my baby, iPhone gen 1.

So for now, I am off the bandwagon; 'sides, I still have to earn back the $599 I paid in the first place. Hopefully, iPhone 3.0 will have enough changes to warrant the investment.

...and dammit, where's cut & paste and MMS?!?!?!?

Enjoy.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
My current mindset tells me no, i don't want to buy the iPhone 3G.

But we still have a month, AT&T's 3G network will only get better, GPS apps will start coming and I'll probably end up adopting. Not immediately, but eventually.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
My current mindset tells me no, i don't want to buy the iPhone 3G.

But we still have a month, AT&T's 3G network will only get better, GPS apps will start coming and I'll probably end up adopting. Not immediately, but eventually.
Oh yeah I agree. A lot of people probably won't adopt right away, but eventually the original iPhone will become outdated and everyone will start moving to the new devices. For me perhaps iPhone 4G, lol.

dwman

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
I didn't buy the 1st gen model, so this 3G model is targeted at people like me. Yeah, it doesn't have all the features everyone wanted, but it's still pretty damn good. I think I'll hold out for a 32gb model and then I'm on board. I have a 5.5g 30gb Ipod and I can't see cutting that capacity in half. I expect it will be out before Xmas.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I didn't buy the 1st gen model, so this 3G model is targeted at people like me. Yeah, it doesn't have all the features everyone wanted, but it's still pretty damn good. I think I'll hold out for a 32gb model and then I'm on board. I have a 5.5g 30gb Ipod and I can't see cutting that capacity in half. I expect it will be out before Xmas.
I agree it is a great upgrade for people who don't have an iPhone. It's cheap, 3G, GPS... but for everyone else who spent $399 - $599, its hard to shell out another $200 - $300 for something that the old iPhone is perfectly fine in doing. Both iPhones will have the 2.0 software, so its already a great upgrade for us current iPhone owners.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riad1973