Will the iPhone 3g still be able to use EDGE?

speced

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
I was just wondering if the new iPhone will be able to use EDGE for those times when you have to venture out of a 3G area? Which will probably happen a lot for those who travel.

Thanks

Ahambone

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to mention- it also sounds like the new iPhone may have an option to turn off 3G, since 3G will be more taxing on the phone's battery. When the 3G is off, EDGE would go into effect.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hopefully, Apple would determine a way to automatically shut the 3G feature off. You should take a look at AT&T's 3G coverage maps to see if it is available in your area.

speced

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your responses. I'm glad that it's backwards compatible. Luckily the DC area seems pretty well covered for 3G. However my office mates still don't get reception once they step inside the office I'm interested to see how strong the 3G signal will be.

inertialnav

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It's going to have to use Edge. Not that many AT&T customers live under the 3G umbrella. I know I don't. While I would LOVE to have the new iPhone I don't see spending the money when all it offers is 3G and GPS, the very same features I won't use very often.

It's the new phone OS providing the pipeline to the App Store that will have everyone hot, including me.

mpfrink

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I live in Austin, TX and we seem to have some great 3G coverage, I'm also really glad to hear that Madison, WI recently got it as well since I visit my parents up there often. Any other Madison or Austin natives?

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I had seen several rumors and posts showing that 3G would be user selectable (i.e. you can turn it off) which I would consider a great idea. EDGE is slow, but it works and Lord knows it's not a battery pig as my BB Curve 8310 can go all day hard and still not exhaust the battery. But many times, I want the faster data (I live in Ellicott City, MD between DC & Baltimore so we're completely 3G all over the place here) and will gladly give up some battery to get it. AT&T has allegedly finished rollout on their 3G upgrades so by the end of this month, there should be a lot less markets not covered.

speced

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
According to AT&T's 3G map I'm near the edge of the coverage. I'm just wondering how much speed decreases as your signal strength decreases? Does anyone have any experience with their 3G network yet, on another device?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I was just wondering if the new iPhone will be able to use EDGE for those times when you have to venture out of a 3G area? Which will probably happen a lot for those who travel.

Thanks
It better. At&T 3G coverage is still very limited. Still none in many dense markets.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for all your responses. I'm glad that it's backwards compatible. Luckily the DC area seems pretty well covered for 3G. However my office mates still don't get reception once they step inside the office I'm interested to see how strong the 3G signal will be.
DC was the first 3G market for AT&T. They have gotten to low hundreds of markets by counting every little town in Texas as a "market."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234