Are you an original iPhone owner?

purwater

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I was very interested in the original when it came out, but being on Alltel and now Verizon I wasn't able to get one. AT&T was and still is pretty weak in my area. My work uses AT&T and they got me a 3GS when they came out, but where I live it was useless with no signal so I kept my Verizon blackberry until I moved closer to work last fall. I just swapped out my Droid X for the iPhone 4 2 weeks ago so this is the first iPhone that I'll actually be keeping and using. My wife was due for upgrade in early July and she wanted the white one and I ended up with the black one. I did own an iPod mini from way back and I still have a 1st gen iPod touch that is in need of a new battery. Still works perfectly, but I've worn the battery out with my years of 2 hour commutes and constant music and podcasts. The iPad is something that I've wanted since launch, but with buying a house and getting married the extra funds aren't there just yet. Maybe the iPad 3 will be the right time to jump in when the tax refund comes this year.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I stood in line at AT&T on launch day. At this store there were probably 50 or so people in the line total at 6pm when they officially went on sale. They sold out 3 people ahead of me. :( I also totally forgot that I had resigned on my parents family plan a little over a year before to get a Tmobile MDA. I switched to AT&T from their Tmobile plan and my parents got hit with a $200 ETF. :eek:

But I did order one through AT&T's direct fullfillment program that night and it arrived at my door step the next Monday. That was along weekend.

I still have the iPod I got with the $100 rebate but did sell the original iPhone. Sold for a cool $450 on ebay the next year to upgrade to the 3G. The iPhone was not my first Apple product, I had owned several iPods.

What a 4 years it has been. What's next?

Last edited:

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine from a friend at school actually. She had it, the screen was cracked and she just purchased a new 3G at the time and didn't need it anymore. Once she gave it to me, I took the phone to the Apple store and got a brand spanking new one for 100 bucks. I jailbroke it and took care of my baby. Then the fall before the iPhone 4 was released, the phone fell right out of my pocket as I sat down in a steep chair. It landed on the ground the wrong way and the bottom half of the screen stopped working which meant I couldn't slide to unlock. So I waited and waited, contemplated buy a blackberry but nope; I still waited. I went months without a phone and purchased the iPhone 4 when it came out that summer. Boy was I happy but I sure do miss my iPhone 2G. The thing was the perfect weight and solidity. I just hated the recessed headphone jack. Now that I think about it, considering that it was on EDGE, it was pretty fast!

Nicky1983

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I liked the first generation iPhone but it took me a while to warm up to buying it...finally one day (before i paid any attention to the blogs and websites that discussed this stuff), i went out and bought it and loved it...then i looked online to see if there was any way to make custom ring tones and found out about the 3G (which was releasing like a month after i bought it)...i found out that they were giving an upgrade to people who bought the first gen, and were refunding the purchase cost of the iPhone we had (i paid $400 or whatever it was because i didn't want to extend my contract)...

Flash forward to a few weeks later and me and the wife were waiting outside of the AT&T store for the 3G, and ended up getting both of the 3G's (me and my wife's) for the money i paid for the first generation...worked out perfectly.

That's the same thing that happen to me. When I finally got the money for it found our the 3G was coming out. I got a full refund and stood in line to get the 3G. Had a blackberry pearl before my iPhone. Have had every generation since.

GingaNinja

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Iphone 2g

I still have mine, and I still use it as my main phone, jailbroken of course!

I bought it off Ebay after the 3G came out, and I figured that it would be a bit cheaper just before Christmas, as people madly tried to get rid of them to get a 3G for Christmas.

I started out without a contract, using my old sim, so had to jailbreak and unlock as soon as I received it. I have never had data, which sounds a bit odd, considering it's almost crippled without data, but I didn't see the point as I have wifi at home and at work. The only time I miss it is on holiday.

Since then, I got a company Blackberry, but found it a pain to use, so move the sim over to my iPhone (without data still).

I have also bought an iPad which has taken over most of the internet stuff I used to do on the iPhone. I think at some point I will need to get a new phone, but when? And would it be worth thinking about an Android? Heaven forbid....

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
GingaNinja, I'd recommend trying out the latest and greatest in iPhone before thinking about making the switch to Android. It seems like you already have taken quite an interest in both the iPad and original iPhone so I think you'd be very pleased with the 4/4S.

Bio_Nature_Doc

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey there anyone who stops by this page, thanks for reading this far. A friend is giving me an original iPhone (now called the 2G). I am new to iPhone (have been impressed with other people's), and have given up on trying to manage this Blackberry (it has dropped the onscreen Send button on my online web-accessed Hotmail account, and later it somehow won't recognize my Memos anymore).

I'd considered the new $99 iPhone4 8GB, but today my friend said that I could have his original 2G.

I'm wondering if there is a place where I can go to get tips on how to be sure the old phone is up to date regarding patches, etc.

I still have a Palm Tungsten which I use for my Memos, and my Contacts list (and my Scrabble and World Clock). Is there a forum or place where I can get answers for likely concerns about transferring Memos and Contacts to the 2G?

Maybe it is time for me to pay some money and go with the iPhone4, but the opportunity to save money (the phone is a gift), and to use a low-cost carrier, would save over $250 a year.

I like the press about iPhone4, but at this time I need to be watchful for what I spend money on.

I'm studying for an exam that will help me get a different kind of work, and there are study Apps that I can't use on the Blackberry.

Wow, my friend's offer came just a couple hours ago and the online searching for info about the iPhone has been mind-expanding. I'm glad for this thread.

Will any of you continue using the original iPhone? Or do you have heads-up tips that could help me survive with a 2G platform?

Thanks for the fascinating set of posts.

I'm glad for Steve Jobs, so glad he was such a creative genius.

Last edited:

xandermac

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a 16gb 1st gen iPhone. I originally had the 4gb that I bought the Monday after the release, just walked in, no waiting. Then I had 2 of the 8gb models and finally the 16gb (all in the one year!). My 16gb is running whited00r but I rarely touch it. I skipped all the other iPhones until the 4s. Loving my 4s.

I'll post a photo of the 16gb later. It's still in perfect shape except for a part of the metal case where I had the battery replaced, the phone murdering shop is responsible for that!

These are of one of the 8gb ones I owned.

a6890c6f-79f0-d630.jpg

a6890c6f-7a07-10a8.jpg

a6890c6f-7a1b-33ae.jpg

a6890c6f-7ac5-a61b.jpg

My 16gb. Not bad shape for its age.

62db256b-dd6b-b94e.jpg

62db256b-dd7e-3352.jpg

62db256b-dd8c-d697.jpg

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aadesh.aakash

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh my goodness George! Yours is super beat up! Haha.

The iPhone 2G was my 2nd Apple product. My first was a 1st gen iPod nano. I have since purchased, in order: iPhone 3G, late 2008 13" aluminum MacBook, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPhone 4, iPad 2, and 2011 27" iMac. I stood in line for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPhone 4, and iPad 2.
yes i m the i phone original owner

dunn.brian

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I own an original iPhone, 3 iPhone 3Gs (not 3GSs) and an iPhone 4. The original and the 3Gs are slower but durable. On my original, the screen is shattered, metal jagged and bent and it has been through the washer a few times. It has some LCD display issues and water marks under the screen, but works just fine.

It was a remarkable phone in its day, but I would recommend the 4. The original iPhone is stuck on 3.1.3 and is not compatible with many of the apps on the app store now.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I still have my Original iPhone 8 gig model. I keep it for strictly sentimental value and sometimes I use it a a iPod. When I left AT&T for Sprint before Sprint got the iPhone I used a BB but when I would travel out of the US I used my OG iPhone to make calls on Skype. It's still a good device.

IMG_0246_zpse72370b3.jpg

IMG_0245_zpse1be1f9c.jpg

IMG_0248_zpse31cadae.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner