Fast charging and iPhone 14 Pro battery

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I just started using a fast charger for my iPhone 14 Pro Max. As I sit here at the computer I started wondering about something, what affect does fast charging an iPhone have on it's battery verses regular/slow charging? I know Li/ion batteries have a limited charge/recharge life, I think about 300 cycles I read. So I was wonder if this charge/recharge life is affect by fast charging.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, I don’t think Fast Charging degrades the battery by itself. However, it does cause it to heat up more and — because of that — it might degrade faster. I’m saying might, because there is management software on your phone to protect the battery.

Lithium-Ion batteries hate heat (over 35°C in particular). As for cycle counts, have a look at the bottom section of this page from Apple: https://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/why-lithium-ion/#mn_p

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
As Ed7789 stated, heat is bad for smartphone batteries. However heating in the charging process is largely factored in. It is expected. When it comes to charging, just do it, a charging schedule is best (to make it easiest for the phone to optimize the charge). Then just live your life and enjoy the new iPhone without worries.
-If there is one thing to avoid, it is direct sunlight on a hot day baking your phone. My understanding is, this is worse for a battery that happens to be at 100% or 0% but the software usually avoids having 100% except at the right time based on charging habits (and your phone powers off before it hits actual zero).
-if the phone will be turned off for an extended period (a few weeks or more), charge it to 50% before powering it off. Side note: this is most specifically true of Samsung phones. Samsung phones turned off for an extended period get battery burst way more commonly than other models, shockingly substantially more often.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox