Android to Apple

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
RCS does not go through Google servers. It is a standard offered by the carriers and gies through their networks, just like SMS/MMS.

Googles implementation of rcs does go through a google server and is incompatible with the carriers version of rcs.

is a fragmented mess after google forked it with their proprietary non-open version.

SMS/mms is a standard adopted by the gsma, rcs is not. Rcs was developed around 2008, it failed globally around 2015.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like both hand the same amount of malware. Yes apple users got back their info a little more often than android users but the difference isn’t major. Also seems like Apple users lose their phone 6x more often than android users. Even reading the article it states that android isn’t far behind in security. Plus for the average American it’s probably not a big deal. Another thing is Apple has always said they have “better security” than others… so of course, over the years of campaigning that, that is what people remember to say.
Interviewer— do you feel more secure on apple
Interviewee— remembers commercial stating best security without really knowing anything about it… Yep I feel real secure.

Regarding security on android…. Or lack thereof .
92b6ffc61c13cfdfa9416477dbc3ac22.jpg

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
These are sensationalist articles. If things were as bad as they say we would all know dozens of people who have their bank account drained, but we don't. Read how many times they say "could if......" and then spell out a scenario that is completely unlikely to occur.
Just be smart and no matter what ecosystem you use you will be fine.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Are they sensationalists? Security researchers have identified new malware only affecting the open android platform and not on the walled garden of ios, the underlying term is new.

Give it a few months.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Are they sensationalists? Security researchers have identified new malware only affecting the open android platform and not on the walled garden of ios, the underlying term is new.

Give it a few months.
I believe that, ultimately, the Apple ecosystem has an edge over Android when it comes to security.

Are these articles sensationalist? Yes. I'm not interested in ifs, I'm more worried about actual people who were harmed and to what degree. I've used both platforms for many years and not only have I not had an issue (I don't sideload apps from scrupulous websites, click on links from unknown sources or hand my phone over to strangers) but I know of no one who has been affected in a major way.

Ultimately, I believe it's up to the user to use their best judgment when using modern technology. Some do, some don't. If any platform was a haven for these types of attacks it would cease to exist.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, iOS has an edge in security and privacy over android.

Some may practice extra vigilance due to android lacking ios walled garden, but many do not, and due to androids open nature and nonexistent updates on budget models that make up the bulk of android marketshare, it is a cause of concern for many consumers.

As I said Give it a couple months, however banking on android is risk I would never take.

If anyone needs examples, just google xenomoroh Trojan, or SOVA In a couple of months.

bb345e29f4d5723ff4884da1bb72c029.jpg

49ba19c7e2f27a2b23173dcb258abe99.jpg

e7898904bc57cba6dd901b8b757e2743.jpg

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It will be interesting to see what transpires. These types of articles have been around for many years warning of doom and gloom. I'm sure they have some merit but I have yet to see any widespread damage to individuals or we would know and hear about it.

I have both an S series phone and A series. I'll let you know what happens.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Quite true, articles of a similar nature has popped up in the past, but never an advisory for something as sophisticated as SOVA.

If you are on android, best to remain extra vigilant.
Personally I’m well within the ios walled garden where one does not need to.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the information and articles. I'm no expert so it is interesting reading.

So, as I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong), in order for this to gather your banking information one would have to purposefully download a fake banking app. That would mean, most likely, sideloading from a website and not from an official app store. I, for instance, as well as most people already have my banking app on my phone. I also have protection right from my bank to best counter any attempts at fraud or theft. I would think I'm quite protected on either platform.

It is certainly easier to download a malicious app on Android than on ios. No doubt about that but that is the nature of the platforms and on the individual users. Similar to not every neighborhood is as safe from crime as others so we lock our doors, use an alarm system, have a dog, etc. Some people though prefer to live in the safest neighborhood possible as added peace of mind. Nothing wrong with that.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Time for me to chime in

I would argue that Android is as secure as iOS, for as long as you use legitimate apps (e.g.: apps from reputable publishers on the platform’s App Store). And that those apps have been implemented with the correct security practices.

What makes iOS more secure (by design) is that they made data protection easy out of the box. For instance, apps cannot access another app’s folders on iOS, but that’s also possible on Android even if it is not a default.

The secure by design approach has other side effects, like not being able to read content from other apps (up to a recent update). Or much more restricted customization options.

Personally, I wouldn’t avoid doing banking on an Android device, for as long as it is completely current on updates (straight from Alphabet inc.) and the banking app comes from my own financial institution.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as i am aware side loading apps is one vector, compromised apps within the play store is another. Dirty Links, comprised developer websites, a compromised router public or private are other vectors utilized.

Regarding the apps and SOVA, it doesn’t have to be a banking app. Some crypto exchanges wallet apps were also comprised. SOVA also contains a ransom ware module, talk about sophistication.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Time for me to chime in

I would argue that Android is as secure as iOS, for as long as you use legitimate apps (e.g.: apps from reputable publishers on the platform’s App Store). And that those apps have been implemented with the correct security practices.

What makes iOS more secure (by design) is that they made data protection easy out of the box. For instance, apps cannot access another app’s folders on iOS, but that’s also possible on Android even if it is not a default.

The secure by design approach has other side effects, like not being able to read content from other apps (up to a recent update). Or much more restricted customization options.

Personally, I wouldn’t avoid doing banking on an Android device, for as long as it is completely current on updates (straight from Alphabet inc.) and the banking app comes from my own financial institution.

Actually that is not entirely true. It is much easier to get root access on an android device than on iOS. Which would make android less secure than iOS and not as secure.

From xda, an android centric website:

62a6e1fc554b76aa052a52220526130f.jpg

Correct me if I’m wrong but android still allows cross app tracking which apple allows the user to block.
a1327611f69da0aaafd071cb7485341a.jpg

https://www.xda-developers.com/ios-better-operating-system-android/

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
As far as i am aware side loading apps is one vector, compromised apps within the play store is another. Dirty Links, comprised developer websites, a compromised router public or private are other vectors utilized.

Regarding the apps and SOVA, it doesn’t have to be a banking app. Some crypto exchanges wallet apps were also comprised. SOVA also contains a ransom ware module, talk about sophistication.
It sounds quite sophisticated but these people are extremely tech smart.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It sounds quite sophisticated but these people are extremely tech smart.

Annoyingly so.

Stay safe.

Edit:
So apparently SOVA has already infected android users in America, Britain, and across Europe:

d5400b582803dc961f80f31a55631957.jpg

And SOVA is targeting gmail cookies as well. Ouch.

99e3bb5efe5822d24457ea80f5b1a6f9.png

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung super fan actually admits the iPhone 14 pro max has:

Brighter display
Faster and more efficient processor
Higher quality speakers
a faster, smoother, more consistent Ui
Unparalleled ecosystem.

https://youtu.be/8plOH9HM4EU

They left out how the iPhone max crushes the competition in battery life.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone has some great features as does android. I switched back and forth for years ending up with android now. I can say I miss certain aspects of apple but very happy with my Samsung s22 ultra.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just found out how many pixels google has sold since launching in 2016.

4.6 million per year or 1.1 million a quarter for the three annual pixel models. Ouch
ac30d78c1e374412bda0d16015ade9b0.jpg

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
How many were actually affected and what damage was done?

Yup. Always being safe.

From the Samsung breach, apparently this user had his back account compromised. That’s pretty messed up on Samsungs part, but not as shocking as their new privacy policy where they outline how they collect, sell and share user data that include users biometrics, photos, and texts. Completely daft.

https://reddit.com/r/Android/comments/xtq9pq/samsungs_privacy_policy_for_oct_1st_is_crazy/

a80c9f2d74cf8385e18b5b82b72a2f7c.jpg

90787cbf40732b917d5c7cfdc380f176.jpg

Samsung actually giving google a run for their money on user data collection.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73