scared to switch to iphone

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
i have only ever owned apple computers. but i have never had an iphone. i went from blackberry to android for various reasons and never looked back (or over)...

now, i am going off to travel for a year or two and i want a phone with esim capability. so i am tempted to finally try iphone. what worries me is the inability to customize or tweak the phone to my liking. or i should say seeming inability since i've never had an iphone. this is mostly a concern with the camera. my android has a 'manual' camera option built in. i can adjust white balance, exposure and even manually focus. my understanding of iphones is you can press and hold on the screen to adjust brightness and that's it. i know they have great cameras, but i don't want the phone making all the decisions. also, the gent at the apple store told me all my photos would be cloud based meaning i can't show someone my photos unless i am connected to wifi?!? anyway before dropping a grand on a new phone i guess i'm looking for some reassurances. thanks in advance!

also because i am pressed for time, it seems the 13 is the only option for me. the 13 max is too big and the pro isn't available until december.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are numerous apps in the Apple App Store that will provide you with manual controls of the iPhone’s camera. Just search “manual camera” therein.

As for whether or not you’ll enjoy the new iPhone, that’s up to you. If you can get passed what you’re accustomed to with Android and open your mind to a different way then yeah, you’ll adapt quite well in my opinion.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
While I have never owned an Android, I do realize that it's daunting to switch phones. You mentioned that you are in a hurry, but keep in mind that Apple has a decent return policy, so if you get an iPhone, and find that you can't tolerate it, then you can return it. Personally, I think iPhones are awesome! :D Good luck in your decision process!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
i have only ever owned apple computers. but i have never had an iphone. i went from blackberry to android for various reasons and never looked back (or over)...

now, i am going off to travel for a year or two and i want a phone with esim capability. so i am tempted to finally try iphone. what worries me is the inability to customize or tweak the phone to my liking. or i should say seeming inability since i've never had an iphone. this is mostly a concern with the camera. my android has a 'manual' camera option built in. i can adjust white balance, exposure and even manually focus. my understanding of iphones is you can press and hold on the screen to adjust brightness and that's it. i know they have great cameras, but i don't want the phone making all the decisions. also, the gent at the apple store told me all my photos would be cloud based meaning i can't show someone my photos unless i am connected to wifi?!? anyway before dropping a grand on a new phone i guess i'm looking for some reassurances. thanks in advance!

also because i am pressed for time, it seems the 13 is the only option for me. the 13 max is too big and the pro isn't available until december.

If you only use Macs it almost makes no sense for anything but an iPhone because of the continuity and handoff features.

Your photos will be where you want them. You can save them to the phone or choose an option that preserves space with originals in the cloud. You can use Google, Microsoft and other platforms for your photos and cloud sync.

I would not choose anything but the Max phone and a good thin case for travel (and everything). Just look at battery life and cameras for examples. Consider the reading device you'll get with the deal.

In my day job I oversee or managed around 200 Android and Apple mobile. Concepts are the same but Apple's the best first tier stuff we have. Audits show that, users are happiest. The audits show the long life span, repairability, training ease etc...

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The only things I can add to the previous replies:
- The pictures that you take are saved on your phone first. So you don’t need to have an Internet connection to take any photos.
- The stock camera allows focus adjustments, and I know it used to do exposure. Like many mentioned, you don’t have to use the stock Camera app

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
I see others got into the technical end, so I’ll just post on your concern coming from other platforms. I, like you, started with BlackBerry and then moved to Android. I never for a minute could see me using an iPhone. But my wife upgraded her iPhone and I “played” around with her old one for a month or so. At first it was very strange and I didn’t care for the difficulty with moving files around that is so effortless with Android. But before long I found programs to help with that and there were SO many things I did like that I decided to give it a real try. I purchased an iPhone 12 which I loved. And then when the IPhone 13 came out I jumped on it (13 Pro) and it’s hands down the best phone and camera I’ve ever owned!

I also have an Apple Watch, iPad and AirPods. The way Apple devices work so well together is amazing.

Give it a try. Again, switching to iPhone was the last thing I thought I’d ever do. Now I’m totally all in and loving it.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
ESIM on iPhone works without issue. That alone should be enough to make you switch. There are many third party camera apps (Halide, Pro Cam, Filmic Pro) to name a few. So much control over the camera and you get really good results!

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
It will take a breaking in period. I switched from a Galaxy to the iPhone 6+ about 6 or 7 years ago. There were a few irritating times of "why doesn't it ___". Give it time! It was just a matter of getting used to it.
One of the benefits of Apple is you can make an appointment at an Apple Store. Do it, let them help you with the switch, let them help you the new navigation of the new UI.
As another poster said, if you use Macs, IMHO you're missing out on extras that you only get by using iPhone.

Be brave! Try it. You can always not get rid of your Android. Apple, I believe, has extended no questions asked return until January. So you can use it and after a month if you don't like it? Return it.
Just be sure to pay the .99 or 1.99 for iCloud. Nice benefits of having everything signed into iCloud (IMHO, great time to pick up an iCloud email account and start using that too. Not the very best email client but the single sign on, hiding your email address, hiding the pixel read receipts, and added privacy to use it when 'sign on with Apple' is available on a website').

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
thank you. i am leaning towards the iphone and i would definitely get the 13 pro. but apple's site says it's not available until december. :(

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
It will take a breaking in period. I switched from a Galaxy to the iPhone 6+ about 6 or 7 years ago. There were a few irritating times of "why doesn't it ___". Give it time! It was just a matter of getting used to it.
One of the benefits of Apple is you can make an appointment at an Apple Store. Do it, let them help you with the switch, let them help you the new navigation of the new UI.
As another poster said, if you use Macs, IMHO you're missing out on extras that you only get by using iPhone.

Be brave! Try it. You can always not get rid of your Android. Apple, I believe, has extended no questions asked return until January. So you can use it and after a month if you don't like it? Return it.
Just be sure to pay the .99 or 1.99 for iCloud. Nice benefits of having everything signed into iCloud (IMHO, great time to pick up an iCloud email account and start using that too. Not the very best email client but the single sign on, hiding your email address, hiding the pixel read receipts, and added privacy to use it when 'sign on with Apple' is available on a website').

thank you!

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I see others got into the technical end, so I’ll just post on your concern coming from other platforms. I, like you, started with BlackBerry and then moved to Android. I never for a minute could see me using an iPhone. But my wife upgraded her iPhone and I “played” around with her old one for a month or so. At first it was very strange and I didn’t care for the difficulty with moving files around that is so effortless with Android. But before long I found programs to help with that and there were SO many things I did like that I decided to give it a real try. I purchased an iPhone 12 which I loved. And then when the IPhone 13 came out I jumped on it (13 Pro) and it’s hands down the best phone and camera I’ve ever owned!

I also have an Apple Watch, iPad and AirPods. The way Apple devices work so well together is amazing.

Give it a try. Again, switching to iPhone was the last thing I thought I’d ever do. Now I’m totally all in and loving it.

thank you. i am leaning towards the iphone and i would definitely get the 13 pro. but apple's site says it's not available until december. :(

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
ESIM on iPhone works without issue. That alone should be enough to make you switch. There are many third party camera apps (Halide, Pro Cam, Filmic Pro) to name a few. So much control over the camera and you get really good results!

thank you! i think that will be the deciding factor for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Don’t hesitate to check out Best Buy, Target, BJ’s, CostCo, etcetera because they sell the new iPhone models.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have an iPad download the Apple Store app, you can check if any local apple stores have any inventory on the 13 pro.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
You have 60 days to return, so be brave!

i think apple only gives me 14 days. i've had the 13 for almost a day and not loving it. i wish the pro were available. as i understand it the pro is higher build quality. anyway i knew there would be growing pains but this might be too much. it seems like all the things i was used to doing in android i need an app to do on iOS. i'll give it another day or two and see if i warm to it. thanks!!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
i think apple only gives me 14 days. i've had the 13 for almost a day and not loving it. i wish the pro were available. as i understand it the pro is higher build quality. anyway i knew there would be growing pains but this might be too much. it seems like all the things i was used to doing in android i need an app to do on iOS. i'll give it another day or two and see if i warm to it. thanks!!

I would give it a few days. It’s not surprising you are finding difficulties since it’s brand new to you. See if the “Apple way” comes around after giving it an honest try. You’ve got 14 days!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73