Which SIM are you using with your iPhone 13 model?

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
Physical SIM. I purchased mine from Best Buy and as far as I can tell they sell them only with physical SIM’s. The 13’s from Apple are using the eSIM.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
1. eSIM
2. Physical SIM
3. Both (2 phone numbers)

What is a Physical SIM

21 years on the Sprint Network but now fully on T-Mobile I never delt with Sims of any type. Got my 13 Pro Max and it’s the first time ever opening the Sim Tray

Questions:
Do we have dual sims on our 13s?

Two phone sim situation?

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
What is it about the eSIM you don’t like other than the one phone thing?

With a physical Sim it only takes me a few seconds to swap phones. Using an eSim I would have to contact the carrier daily.I swap phones daily, sometimes more than once a day. I use Android an iPhone.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
What is a Physical SIM

21 years on the Sprint Network but now fully on T-Mobile I never delt with Sims of any type. Got my 13 Pro Max and it’s the first time ever opening the Sim Tray

Questions:
Do we have dual sims on our 13s?

Two phone sim situation?

A chip that kind of looks like an SD card. It has your network information on it. AT&T and T-Mobile have been using them for years. Verizon started when they went to LTE. When you got a new phone, you just moved your SIM to the new phone, and off you go. Carriers have been working on eSIM for a while. It would allow you to have a physical and eSIM on the same device, so you could have 2 numbers.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
A chip that kind of looks like an SD card. It has your network information on it. AT&T and T-Mobile have been using them for years. Verizon started when they went to LTE. When you got a new phone, you just moved your SIM to the new phone, and off you go. Carriers have been working on eSIM for a while. It would allow you to have a physical and eSIM on the same device, so you could have 2 numbers.

Ok so I’m assuming I have a physical Sim as I just switched it from my old device to my 13

How do I get an eSim for another line on my phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I’m assuming I have a physical Sim as I just switched it from my old device to my 13

How do I get an eSim for another line on my phone?

How to set up an eSIM
If you purchased an iPhone 13 model from an Apple Retail Store or Apple Online Store in the United States, your iPhone won't arrive with a SIM card installed. To activate your iPhone, turn it on, connect to a Wi-Fi network, and follow the onscreen instructions.
Otherwise, if you do need to set up an eSIM, you can scan the QR code your carrier gave you, use your carrier's iPhone app, install an assigned plan, enter the information manually, or transfer an eSIM from your previous iPhone:

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212780

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
How to set up an eSIM
If you purchased an iPhone 13 model from an Apple Retail Store or Apple Online Store in the United States, your iPhone won't arrive with a SIM card installed. To activate your iPhone, turn it on, connect to a Wi-Fi network, and follow the onscreen instructions.
Otherwise, if you do need to set up an eSIM, you can scan the QR code your carrier gave you, use your carrier's iPhone app, install an assigned plan, enter the information manually, or transfer an eSIM from your previous iPhone:

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212780

Exactly this. I bought my I iPhone 13 Pro carrier free directly from Apple. When I set up iPhone 13 Pro, it asked me if I wanted to port over my eSIM from my iPhone 12 Pro. Easy peasy.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Exactly this. I bought my I iPhone 13 Pro carrier free directly from Apple. When I set up iPhone 13 Pro, it asked me if I wanted to port over my eSIM from my iPhone 12 Pro. Easy peasy.

Carrier free is the only way that makes sense buying an iPhone. It baffles me why people continue to purchase phones through carriers.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Carrier free is the only way that makes sense buying an iPhone. It baffles me why people continue to purchase phones through carriers.

I could have traded in my iPhone 12Pro with my carrier for the 13Pro”for free” I still would have had to lay down the cost of the iPhone 13Pro, but I would have received $1000 bill credit, so technically not paying anything but, I’d be on contract for 3 years.

It looks good on paper, but buying from Apple, Apple gave me a trade in refund of $640 for my iPhone 12Pro. $640 applied to the purchase of of my 13Pro and I am not on contract.

Buying directly from Apple, I could also choose the carrier version and get the same deal and not be on contract. My 13Pro would deliver from Apple set up and ready to go. Technically I could just power off old phone and power on new phone and done. Either way, Apple makes it pretty easy peasy.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I almost did with the 13 Pro. I didn't care about the trade in, and would have just paid full price, but I do keep my old phone (in this case, a X) as a backup and with a physical SIM I would have been able to take the SIM out and put it in my old phone. However, if something happens to my phone now and I need to use the X I'll just go to a store to get a new SIM activated.

Also the truth was that I never needed to use my backup phone the whole time that I had my X so it really is fine to have an eSIM.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro