Is it fair for certain people to complain about having terrible battery life?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is a smartphone that allows a user to make and receive phone calls, video calls, text messages as well as watch video, listen to audio, surf the web, read content and more.

With that being said, some people - especially those who work - can go all day doing a little bit of everything on their iPhone on a single charge. Others, however - particularly those who don’t work - tend to spend their day watching videos, playing intensive games, keeping up with their social feeds and chatting - have to charge their phone periodically throughout the day.

Is it fair for them to complain about having terrible battery life? Is it also fair for those who aren’t constantly on their iPhone to say how great the battery life is?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think that concern over battery life is to be expected... especially when there's a sudden drop in battery life, particularly after a software update. I'm a fairly heavy user on weekends. I still use my phone a lot during the week, but not as much as weekends/vacations. Given the price of our phones, I think there is nothing wrong with wanting the best battery life possible. That said, while I understand that all of the features on a smartphone use a lot of battery, it bothered me when I decide to turn off features like AOD because of battery drain.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that concern over battery life is to be expected... especially when there's a sudden drop in battery life, particularly after a software update. I'm a fairly heavy user on weekends. I still use my phone a lot during the week, but not as much as weekends/vacations. Given the price of our phones, I think there is nothing wrong with wanting the best battery life possible. That said, while I understand that all of the features on a smartphone use a lot of battery, it bothered me when I decide to turn off features like AOD because of battery drain.

Excellent response, Annie. Thank you!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
All complaints about battery life need to include screen shots of said battery life.

Let’s all see just how bad your battery life sucks.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone is a smartphone that allows a user to make and receive phone calls, video calls, text messages as well as watch video, listen to audio, surf the web, read content and more.

With that being said, some people - especially those who work - can go all day doing a little bit of everything on their iPhone on a single charge. Others, however - particularly those who don’t work - tend to spend their day watching videos, playing intensive games, keeping up with their social feeds and chatting - have to charge their phone periodically throughout the day.

Is it fair for them to complain about having terrible battery life? Is it also fair for those who aren’t constantly on their iPhone to say how great the battery life is?

Interested in where you are getting your data/information (working vs. not working). It makes sense but not exactly sure what point you’re making.

As far as battery life complaints, when you see such drastic differences between phones I believe it brings up questions. What is draining the battery? Background processes or direct usage? Certain apps? I believe these large companies can and must do better if the technology is to continue to advance.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Interested in where you are getting your data/information (working vs. not working). It makes sense but not exactly sure what point you’re making.

As far as battery life complaints, when you see such drastic differences between phones I believe it brings up questions. What is draining the battery? Background processes or direct usage? Certain apps? I believe these large companies can and must do better if the technology is to continue to advance.

I’m not pulling data from anywhere except what I see with my own eyes. There is no right or wrong answer and I’m not trying to make a point. This is what I do. I come up with scenarios and ask people for their thoughts. That’s all

Now in regard to companies needing to do better, I’m in agreement with you.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I’m not pulling data from anywhere except what I see with my own eyes. There is no right or wrong answer and I’m not trying to make a point. This is what I do. I come up with scenarios and ask people for their thoughts. That’s all

Now in regard to companies needing to do better, I’m in agreement with you.

Gotcha. I hadn’t seen anything written about that before so I assumed it was just you.

I would also assume younger people use their phones more than me also. My question is doesn’t everyone deserve to expect a good user experience when purchasing expensive products like these?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha. I hadn’t seen anything written about that before so I assumed it was just you.

I would also assume younger people use their phones more than me also. My question is doesn’t everyone deserve to expect a good user experience when purchasing expensive products like these?

Sure they do.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
That's like complaining about your new Tesla Plaid takes over 10 seconds to hit 100 mph!

Hint: you're doing something wrong. Very wrong.

A lot of times with new devices or after a major iOS update it takes literally days for the device to "settle in".

Afterward, expect battery life to literally soar like an eagle.

Unless, of course, something is actually wrong with it! ;)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If your a repeat iPhone customer you should have by now dialed in your battery usage to the point you can tell if a software update has noticeably more drain or gain on your daily use.

I know the usage on my 11 Pro Max so I will and should notice a big change on my soon to be iPhone 13 Pro Max after a few weeks of giddy child like usage

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
It’s like fuel mileage in vehicles. I don’t expect to get the exact number constantly. But, if I’m within 10-15% of that number regularly, I’m good.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Fuel mileage isn’t a selling point for million dollar sports cars. Battery life is a selling point for iPhones.

I’m not sure that is true.
Apple only states how long the battery lasts when you use only music or only video and such. They don’t give an estimate for daily use.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
All complaints about battery life need to include screen shots of said battery life.

Let’s all see just how bad your battery life sucks.

I'm an infrastructure manager (IT director). I take fun away and get people angry when I pursue complaints with tools and analyzing data. We have Apple mobile and Android by the dozens plus personal use. About 175 in MDM. Mobile, wireless and battery life complaints are usually a few of many and tied to personal habits and use.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I’m not sure that is true.
Apple only states how long the battery lasts when you use only music or only video and such. They don’t give an estimate for daily use.

It is very true. From Apple’s website:

0edb36ea1f3cb217697e65fcb35ba0e0.jpg

So yes, battery life is a big selling point.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
A million dollar sports car gets the lowest mileage, yet nobody complains about it.

Same goes for iPhones, imo.

Anyone who can afford to buy a million dollar sports car won't ever complain about mileage. However, the rest of us plebs who scrimp and save to buy a $999 phone once a year have every right to complain.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner