Carrier store or Apple store

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
just wondering where do you guys go get your phones at the Apple store or the carrier store which is AT&T for me. I guess with Apple being so popular it would be easier to go through your carrier?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve dealt with both and the process for both are almost identical, in my opinion.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Apple store online and super easy. I bought unlocked and transferred everything, including eSIM using Apple’s QuickStart.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
just wondering where do you guys go get your phones at the Apple store or the carrier store which is AT&T for me. I guess with Apple being so popular it would be easier to go through your carrier?

Apple Store for the more recent devices. I only received two iPhones through my carrier store, which is TELUS.
Except for the first phone it was always smooth sailing for me :)

Robert Shouse

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I ordered an iPhone 13 from Apple unlocked and was going to use on T-Mobile. Several SIM cards later, it still will not keep signal. Put the same card in XR , works no problem. Apple CS was rude in trying to resolve. Don’t know if I would order from them again.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I always go to my carrier. This past January, I ordered from an AT&T rep at Sams. It worked out fine, but there were a few bumps along the way. Next time, I'll go to the carrier... probably a store.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This might sound weird but I always feel like I need to buy Apple products from my local Apple store to let Apple know that I picked it up or bought from my local store. I just don’t want it to close for some reason. it’s always busy so I guess it won’t close. it’s Penn Square in Oklahoma City by the way

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This might sound weird but I always feel like I need to buy Apple products from my local Apple store to let Apple know that I picked it up or bought from my local store. I just don’t want it to close for some reason. it’s always busy so I guess it won’t close. it’s Penn Square in Oklahoma City by the way

It doesn't sound weird. So many places have closed since the onset of the pandemic, that wanting to support local businesses makes complete sense!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Depends on how fast (and bad) I want something. But I usually get it from Apple, either online or pick up at the local Apple store.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes they do close. I don’t have a Physical Apple Store anywhere near me, so I do everything online with Apple. They still provide amazing service.

JREwing

Sep 23, 2021
Visit site
Got our 2 13ProMax's at AT&T online. Seamless upgrade process. Have been on the Elite Plan since I get a work discount. And in our rural area of Indiana, AT&T is about all that works around here, so not much chance of switching carriers in the near future. Plus, $1000 off on each Iphone made it a sweet deal. Only incentive to go to Apple Store for us, which is 70 miles away, is the free classes you can get for buying your device there.
One bad side is AT&T ties you into 36 month contract. You can pay it off anytime, but you lose the rest of your credits. So if I wanted to trade in 24 months, the $1000 credit turns into a $667 credit. Just have to do the math to see if it works. Ride it out 36 months and it's a fantastic deal. If I was on prepaid, then it would be the Apple Store because AT&T requires an unlimited plan to get those big credits. So it depends on your situation. If I lived i a larger area with all three big carriers having good service, and I liked to switch around, or was on prepaid, then definitely I would just do the Apple Store.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Got our 2 13ProMax's at AT&T online. Seamless upgrade process. Have been on the Elite Plan since I get a work discount. And in our rural area of Indiana, AT&T is about all that works around here, so not much chance of switching carriers in the near future. Plus, $1000 off on each Iphone made it a sweet deal. Only incentive to go to Apple Store for us, which is 70 miles away, is the free classes you can get for buying your device there.
One bad side is AT&T ties you into 36 month contract. You can pay it off anytime, but you lose the rest of your credits. So if I wanted to trade in 24 months, the $1000 credit turns into a $667 credit. Just have to do the math to see if it works. Ride it out 36 months and it's a fantastic deal. If I was on prepaid, then it would be the Apple Store because AT&T requires an unlimited plan to get those big credits. So it depends on your situation. If I lived i a larger area with all three big carriers having good service, and I liked to switch around, or was on prepaid, then definitely I would just do the Apple Store.

I’m thinking about getting the 13 Pro 128 GB Sierra blue. It still boggles my mind that a company like AT&T would give $1000 credit. Like you said I guess they are making it up tying you into a 36 month contract

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m thinking about getting the 13 Pro 128 GB Sierra blue. It still boggles my mind that a company like AT&T would give $1000 credit. Like you said I guess they are making it up tying you into a 36 month contract

When I got my 12 Pro in January, AT&T gave me an $800 credit when I traded in my 8+. Of course, I'm tied to a contract for 36 months, but I keep my phones that long anyway!

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I always order from Verizon. They do the same “new iphone every year” program as Apple, so every year I just pay the taxes for the new one and trade in the current one. It’s one of my few indulgences, to get a new phone every year.