For those of you who use MagSafe, what are the pros and cons to using MagSafe.
    09-27-2021 11:36 AM
    Pro: convenience, also charges my AirPod Pros.
    Con: slower charge

I decided to get Apple's MagSafe charger because I was intrigued, and I guess somewhat OCD about buying Apple Products. I would not use it as my primary charger, but it's nice to have on my nightstand.
    bgl321 likes this.
    09-27-2021 11:46 AM
    Easier to charge in the car as well, no matter what mount or stand is being used.
    09-27-2021 01:51 PM
    Big con: it’s worse for battery health. MagSafe is much less efficient than wired charging and generates more heat, and heating a battery pack while it charges is definitely not good for long-term health.
    grover5 and Tartarus like this.
    09-27-2021 07:46 PM
    Always wanted to try it but usually use a case that doesn’t allow use of mag safe. Just ordered a leather Apple case to try it out this time so I can see what the hype s about.
    09-27-2021 07:54 PM
    I've been watching some Mobile Reviews Eh vids on YouTube the last few days and now I'm kinda regretting not buying the MagSafe compatible version of the Mous clear case I pre-ordered. Guess I'll just have to get another case for use with that stuff as now I'm sort of interested in picking up some stuff. I haven't used it yet since I was coming from an 11 Pro Max so I had nothing that could utilize it.
    09-27-2021 08:00 PM
    Big con: it’s worse for battery health. MagSafe is much less efficient than wired charging and generates more heat, and heating a battery pack while it charges is definitely not good for long-term health.
    How much hotter does it get than regular Qi fast wireless charging? We have a couple Anker and I think a Mophie fast wireless chargers that we've used for a few years now (the Mophie is that black puck that Apple first sold when they started supporting it). Probably 85% of the time my last two phones have been wirelessly charged with those and after 2 years still had at least 95% battery health.
    09-27-2021 08:03 PM
    How much hotter does it get than regular Qi fast wireless charging? We have a couple Anker and I think a Mophie fast wireless chargers that we've used for a few years now (the Mophie is that black puck that Apple first sold when they started supporting it). Probably 85% of the time my last two phones have been wirelessly charged with those and after 2 years still had at least 95% battery health.
    It’s a little warmer than using a wired 20w wort, but also depends on how it’s used - charge it face down and it’ll dissipate heat better. If the puck is sandwiched between the phone and a surface it’ll be more interesting noticeable but not alarmingly so.

As far as more or less heat than a regular Qi charger I can’t say, mine is a Samsung unit with a fan base.
    09-27-2021 09:08 PM
    It's easy and convenient to use; the Belkin MagSafe car mount works great in my car.
    09-28-2021 08:41 AM
    False. I used MagSafe to exclusively charge the battery on my 12 Pro Max and the battery was still at 100% capacity after 8 months. The MagSafe charging puck only charges at 15W max. Also, if the phone gets too hot while charging, software in the puck and on your iPhone will limit the charging speed above 80% to preserve the life of the battery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211829
    bgl321 likes this.
    09-28-2021 08:44 AM
    Unless you plan to keep your iPhone for more than 2 years why stress over it.

I used to worry about the little thing, remember looking for Dead Pixels? lol Even some of iPhone forums, it seem some are nitpicking with Yellow Tints, etc.

I have the Apple MagSafe charger and barely used it that I gave it to my cousin. She loves it.
    bgl321 likes this.
    09-29-2021 10:47 AM
    Unless you plan to keep your iPhone for more than 2 years why stress over it.
    As it turns out, I do. (My iPhone X is now 3.5 years old.) I was planning to get the iPhone 12 last year, but wasn't wild about the battery life and didn't need the better cameras for anything during COVID-19, so I waited until this year. If I can wait three years for my next phone, that would be great.

Plus I live in a place with absolutely crappy cell signal, so my battery definitely takes a hit. I do try to keep health as high as I can keep it. And I just don't see the advantage of Qi/MagSafe over plugging in besides the simplicity of starting the charge (though I will say that I am glad that it exists as it would allow charging if the lightning port gets damaged.)
    bgl321 likes this.
    09-29-2021 11:13 AM
    Do you need a special case to use Magsafe or will any case do since they have the magnets on the back
    10-06-2021 10:52 AM
    Picked up the apple leather case and mag safe pop scoket and both work well. I was always concerned with protection but with apple care I will stay with the leather case and not worry if I have a major drop incendent.
    bgl321 likes this.
    10-06-2021 11:12 AM
    Do you need a special case to use Magsafe or will any case do since they have the magnets on the back
    I had a el cheapo case which wasn’t compatible with the MagSafe. I ended up cutting a hole in it the size of the MagSafe puck in order for it to charge.
    This also helps putting the phone on the MagSafe easier
    10-06-2021 03:09 PM
    No cons for me, been using the belkin 3 x 1 charger and a car holder, makes case choice easier.
    10-06-2021 04:08 PM