Will wireless charging adversely affect the battery life of my iPhone 13 Pro?

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. So I have pre-ordered the 13 Pro moving from XS. I understand there is not going to be a power adapter with the phone and I don't have any with USB C. So, I'm looking at buying a new one.

This is where I am confused and would appreciate your help. I'm thinking of getting a wireless charger but with all the conflicting information on the internet, I can't decide whether it will be harmful or not for the battery health. I intend to use this device for 3-4 years and don't want to consider replacing the battery before 2 years. Will wireless charging adversely affect battery life?

Or should I just buy a 20W power adapter and call it a day? I usually always charge my phone at night so I'm not sure if I need that high-speed charging and whether it will be bad for the battery too? Is it safe to buy non-Apple power adapters like from Belkin or Anker, etc?

I am really not sure which route to take so any suggestions are appreciated.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
How to charge iPhone 13 Pro?

You can still use your old iPhone XS charger and cable just fine. The iPhone XS could also do wireless Qi charging, so that will work also. The newer iPhones can charge faster using the Apple 20W USB-C power adapter, though if you have a 20W USB-A adapter, you can just use your old cable with it. I suggest saving your money and using your existing XS cable and 5W charger, then looking for good deals from Amazon for a Anker brand or Aukey brand charging brick.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: How to charge iPhone 13 Pro?

Avoid wireless charging if you can since it creates heat on the battery. Less battery degradation if you intend on using this thing for 3 years or so.

I have a launch day 12 Pro that is still at 100% battery capacity. I charge it every night with a 5W charging brick and only fast charge during the day when I really need to.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

You can still use your old iPhone XS charger and cable just fine. The iPhone XS could also do wireless Qi charging, so that will work also. The newer iPhones can charge faster using the Apple 20W USB-C power adapter, though if you have a 20W USB-A adapter, you can just use your old cable with it. I suggest saving your money and using your existing XS cable and 5W charger, then looking for good deals from Amazon for a Anker brand or Aukey brand charging brick.

The XS brick is for USB A and I think the new cable is USB C to lightning. How can I use the existing adapter with this or there’s something I’m missing here?

Anker or Aukey charging bricks are supported by Apple and won’t harm the device right?

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Avoid wireless charging if you can since it creates heat on the battery. Less battery degradation if you intend on using this thing for 3 years or so.

I have a launch day 12 Pro that is still at 100% battery capacity. I charge it every night with a 5W charging brick and only fast charge during the day when I really need to.

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of too. I’d like to stick with the 5W brick but it’s not USB C. And I don’t see Apple selling 5W bricks on the website. What are my options?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I use both of MagSafe charger and I use charging cords with lightning ports That I plug into chargers that take the USB-C. I find that the quickest charge is with a USB-C charging brick that I got from Spigen when I ordered my case. I lucked out and it was a free gift which was quite generous actually. Since then I’ve purchased a couple of Apple USB-C chargers and a couple of other cables and they all work great. The mag safe charger is just convenient for when I need to leave it and not worry about my phone.

I just got an iPad Air fourth generation and the lightning cable will not work with it. It did come with a cable with USB-C so that is completely muddy the waters as far as how I’m charging everything. I’m not complaining it’s just a matter of figuring it out.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
How to charge iPhone 13 Pro?

The XS brick is for USB A and I think the new cable is USB C to lightning. How can I use the existing adapter with this or there’s something I’m missing here?

Anker or Aukey charging bricks are supported by Apple and won’t harm the device right?

Use the same cable and adapter that you charge your xs with .

Or MagSafe

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

I use both of MagSafe charger and I use charging cords with lightning ports That I plug into chargers that take the USB-C. I find that the quickest charge is with a USB-C charging brick that I got from Spigen when I ordered my case. I lucked out and it was a free gift which was quite generous actually. Since then I’ve purchased a couple of Apple USB-C chargers and a couple of other cables and they all work great. The mag safe charger is just convenient for when I need to leave it and not worry about my phone.

I just got an iPad Air fourth generation and the lightning cable will not work with it. It did come with a cable with USB-C so that is completely muddy the waters as far as how I’m charging everything. I’m not complaining it’s just a matter of figuring it out.

That’s nice. Do you think quick charging degrades battery life?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Oh right! Silly me

giphy.gif

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Based on my personal experience, I don’t think so. My 12 Pro is still at 100% and I’ve had it since early January.

Awesome. Do you leave your phone charging all night? I plug it in before bed and disconnect in the morning. Doing that with MagSafe or quick charger would be ok?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

I got the Anker brick when buying my iPhone 12 mini. If you buy on Amazon, watch it for coupons. You can use your current charger and just price watch with the Anker brick.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Never charged my 12 Pro Max (got on release day) by any other means than magsafe Apple puck.
Battery is 91%. I've read they equate 500 cycles to 80%. So 1% drop every 25 days of using. I attach the puck before retiring for the night (typically 12-2AM) and take it off charge around 6-7AM. Never below 40% when I put it on there. Phone doesn't get warm (certainly not hot) but the puck does get warm. Even at "only" 91% capacity battery life is still excellent.

I don't plan to run my 13 Pro Max any differently.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

I got the Anker brick when buying my iPhone 12 mini. If you buy on Amazon, watch it for coupons. You can use your current charger and just price watch with the Anker brick.

Ok thanks will keep an eye.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Never charged my 12 Pro Max (got on release day) by any other means than magsafe Apple puck.
Battery is 91%. I've read they equate 500 cycles to 80%. So 1% drop every 25 days of using. I attach the puck before retiring for the night (typically 12-2AM) and take it off charge around 6-7AM. Never below 40% when I put it on there. Phone doesn't get warm (certainly not hot) but the puck does get warm. Even at "only" 91% capacity battery life is still excellent.

I don't plan to run my 13 Pro Max any differently.

This is good to know. I’ve been considering the MagSafe too. How long is the cable though?

On a side note, do you have any problems with the weight of the max? I know those are heavier than the pros and the 13 will be even heavier.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

I haven't measured but it looks about a meter (39") which (of course) is kind of on the short side.
Weight has never been an issue. It's a big device for sure. Some may notice the extra heft of the 13. I usually run thin cases as well.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

I haven't measured but it looks about a meter (39") which (of course) is kind of on the short side.
Weight has never been an issue. It's a big device for sure. Some may notice the extra heft of the 13. I usually run thin cases as well.

Got it. Sorry another question, what thin case do you use? I’ve been looking at Peel, Totallee and others but can’t decide. I was also looking for something that’s got some grip.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Awesome. Do you leave your phone charging all night? I plug it in before bed and disconnect in the morning. Doing that with MagSafe or quick charger would be ok?

I don't really have a schedule. If I charge overnight, I will use the MagSafe charger, because it's conveniently located on my nightstand. If I charge during the day, I use the USB-C charging bricks... I have one at home, and at work. When charging overnight, I am at the age, where I don't sleep through the night and have the bad habit of checking my phone. If it's fully charged, I don't put it back on the charger. If it isn't fully charged, I put it back on. THe MagSafe charger is much slower, but I don't mind that when I am not using the phone. If that makes sense! :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234