Does anyone else miss the fingerprint scanner?

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I’m actually considering getting the SE just for this because I wear a mask all day and in general I always preferred the Touch ID over the Face ID, but the mask is putting me over the edge. Can anyone else relate? Also, please let’s not get political on this subject re: mask wearing. Thanks

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m still getting used to the Touch ID sensor on my new iPad Air 4! I’ve gotten so used to FaceID that it seems a step backward! I’m really surprised by this because I once swore that I would never like FaceID!

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I won’t miss it when I upgrade in the near future. My Touch ID never seemed to work more than a few times despite entering my prints a number of times - possibly because I have dry hands. Can’t wait to have face recognition on my new iPhone!

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
First of all, Apple or any of their devices are never authorized to use my face, which is copyrighted in Hollywood.
I did use face ID for a short period in the early days of X but never get used to it (besides above reason). Touch ID worked every single time without fail (in my case). I guess it's partly because of the way I use a mobile phone. Almost 80% of the time, I use it as a wallet (ApplePay and many other store cards, and some digital ID's) in retail store front (Canada). I do carry a real wallet with various cards inside but I seldom, if ever, had to pull it out. I did not like touching dirty bills anyway. Then, pandemic happened and it is even more useful. Yes, anyone can argue face ID is just as much, or even more convenient for the wallet purpose. Perhaps. But It's Just_Me who prefer touch ID because I got used to it over the years and it seems more natural and secure to simply press the button to pay. I have nothing to criticize people who use face ID. Apple made a big deal on the security level of face vs. touch ID when promoting X. But there are many security holes or weak links in any device and be it 1million times or half a million times more secure is an artificial Apple sales talk and futile argument. Otherwise, I use my phone mostly for "checking & reading" emails, texts, and occasional (very rarely) phone calls. Except returning short and quikc responses to text mssgs, I normally author responses to email etc on desktop or laptop anyway (YMMV). As far as the functions of both ID methods are concerned, both are useful and I believe it is just a matter of accustomedness and preference. The way I use, a mobile phone is not a treasured toy to me, and utility is the only thing I am interested in. I happened to be biased toward touch ID, combined with the fondness of smaller device. Well the SE's are the only available (and excellent) choice for me now anyway.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer Face ID. It makes using Siri hands free while driving so much more seamless. By the time Siri understands what I said, the phone is unlocked and it is able to process my whey (e.g.: What’s my schedule for tomorrow?)

Also, I find Face ID more reliable, by about 5%. Touch ID was just slightly less reliable because of the angles that I touched the sensor.

This said, if they removed Face ID and moved the product line to Touch ID, I would not cry over it.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Big NO to in screen FP scanners!
They really limit your choice of screen protectors for starters.
If they ever put a FP scanner on future iPhones I'd suspect it would be on the side, integrated into a button.
I have a Galaxy Fold 3 that uses one of these and it's fast and accurate once you get used to it.
FaceID is fine but masks and shades do cause issues.
Apple Watch unlock is a nice addition but I'm finding it to not always be reliable either.
None of these inconveniences are deal breakers. You can always use your PIN. ;)

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes do miss the fingerprint scanner just because I felt it was more accurate then the Face ID when it comes to detecting.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I’m use to Face ID but also Touch ID on my iPad Mini 5 is familiar like an old hat so it’s easy for me to transition between both.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
FaceID is much better. Now that I have an iPad Pro I’m only limited to fingerprint scanners on my Android devices and PC. As someone who works with my hands and they get dirty and beat up, I’m glad TouchID is essentially dead.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73