going from a bigger iPhone to smaller iPhone

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
in the previous years, I have jumped from an iPhone 6 to a 7 plus and went for the iPhone X. as much as I loved the phone X it took me a while to adjust to a smaller iPhone which I got use to over time and loved the size of that phone. after that I have jumped to iPhone 11 Pro max and I love the size cause for watching videos and such. but honestly sometimes in the hands I felt it was too big. when they came out with the 12 and 12 mini. I was actually thinking of going smaller but watching videos on it I felt it would of been hard to get use to again so I went for the 12 pro max. love the phone hands down. would you guys downsize your phone in the future coming from a bigger phone?

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
On this subject, I am certain it's up to a personal choice. But if I say so, chat just stops there.
So, pls let me offer reasons for my personal choice. I am so far a monogamist with iPhone since its inception. I am lucky to be able to afford anything Apple throws at me and price is the least consideration. But I use a "mobile" phone as a "tool", not for any entertainment purpose (contents consumption, people say). I love a smaller phone that fits in my palm and pocket. I do not watch video or play game on small screen. I have other and better devices for that purpose. With CarPlay, I use GPS even less on my phone. Heck, I used to love 4s. I went up to 7 but when SE (2016) was out, I jumped on it. Then Apple switched to even larger screen like Pro Max, but the stopper for me was the lack of touch ID. So, I currently stopped at SE2020. I never felt any inconvenience when using smaller phone but sheer convenience only. Part of my reason for ignoring large size phone was a brief flirting with Blackberry which was a loan for me while my new iphone was being repaired. I immediately joined Crackberry forum. Initially, I think it was a 9780 or something but I purchased 9900 when it came out, until the demise of old S/W. I found the reason why so many lawyer/accountant type were using blackberry, besides the security reason. I did not care much about physical keyboard or tiny screen etc. But the structure of the user interface was superb. I returned to iPhone with the demise of 9900 and joined this forum, mostly as a a lurker. In any case, in my case, "size does matter", and believe "mobile" phone has to be a reasonable size, i.e, small palm sized.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
On this subject, I am certain it's up to a personal choice. But if I say so, chat just stops there.
So, pls let me offer reasons for my personal choice. I am so far a monogamist with iPhone since its inception. I am lucky to be able to afford anything Apple throws at me and price is the least consideration. But I use a "mobile" phone as a "tool", not for any entertainment purpose (contents consumption, people say). I love a smaller phone that fits in my palm and pocket. I do not watch video or play game on small screen. I have other and better devices for that purpose. With CarPlay, I use GPS even less on my phone. Heck, I used to love 4s. I went up to 7 but when SE (2016) was out, I jumped on it. Then Apple switched to even larger screen like Pro Max, but the stopper for me was the lack of touch ID. So, I currently stopped at SE2020. I never felt any inconvenience when using smaller phone but sheer convenience only. Part of my reason for ignoring large size phone was a brief flirting with Blackberry which was a loan for me while my new iphone was being repaired. I immediately joined Crackberry forum. Initially, I think it was a 9780 or something but I purchased 9900 when it came out, until the demise of old S/W. I found the reason why so many lawyer/accountant type were using blackberry, besides the security reason. I did not care much about physical keyboard or tiny screen etc. But the structure of the user interface was superb. I returned to iPhone with the demise of 9900 and joined this forum, mostly as a a lurker. In any case, in my case, "size does matter", and believe "mobile" phone has to be a reasonable size, i.e, small palm sized.

Very interesting and well written .

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I absolutely loved my 8+. I had had the smaller models before and I really enjoyed the larger phone. But then when I got my 12Pro I decided to not get the max. And for the most part I’m happy with that decision I absolutely love my 12 pro. The only thing that I’ve noticed is that when typing I make more mistakes on the smaller phone. And that’s something I’ll think about when it comes time for me to upgrade which is two or three years down the road.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Bigger devices are nice as long as you have a good case for them with a good grip or pop socket. I own both the 12 pro max and the mini and i prefer the mini to be honest.
I know everyone complains about the battery but all the other benefits beat that out plus I have chargers everywhere.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely loved my 8+. I had had the smaller models before and I really enjoyed the larger phone. But then when I got my 12Pro I decided to not get the max. And for the most part I’m happy with that decision I absolutely love my 12 pro. The only thing that I’ve noticed is that when typing I make more mistakes on the smaller phone. And that’s something I’ll think about when it comes time for me to upgrade which is two or three years down the road.

Yes, narrow keyboard was one of the 1st things I had concerns using smaller phones but again, it comes down to personal choice. I can't say one is better over the others. In practice, I am so used to the SE size keyboard (after all, everybody was using "normal" sized keyboards back when...) that I never felt any inconvenience. I am an old hermit with glasses but could master smaller keyboard with no problem. I can handle the phone (and keyboard) one handed most of the time. If I ever encounter any difficulty of using keyboard, I simply flip it to landscape position (when app allows it) but I seldom, if at all, had to do so. But I can clearly see that keyboard size is a problem once one used to a larger one. No returning back. But the way I used the phone, I do not write long novel on it, but rather value the ability to toss around and flip it into my shirt pocket. And as you say, I might consider "normal" size Pro (not max) if other features dictate.
Off topic, in a brief period I was using Blackberries, I always thought why Apple could not incorporate some kind of "trackpad" function in home button so that you do not have to slip and slide all over the screen. Just move your thumb on home button and you can reach every square inches of screen, and when you hit the right position (app etc), just press it. Anyway.....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I went from a max sized iPhone to the iPhone 12 Pro and I have not regretted my decision.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my XS, I regretted not getting the XS Max, so when I upgraded to the 11, I got the Pro Max.

I know if I don't get the 13 Pro Max this year, I will always regret it, even though I would vastly prefer a smaller phone for ease of use/carrying etc.

However, saying that, if the 13 Pro has identical features (battery notwithstanding of course) to the Pro Max, then I may well consider the Pro instead. The 12 Pro Max had a better camera than the 12 Pro, so I am still mostly sure i'll go down the 13 Pro Max route as I do a ton of photography/videos on my phone for work.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I remember when Apple first said they was going to release a larger iPhone during a Keynote. It was the 6 Plus, and one of the happiest days of my life...LOL .
I went from my 5s to the 6 Plus without hesitation. We use to call them Phablets, and I’ve been using the largest version of the iPhone ever since.
For the way I use my iPhones the larger sizes fits my needs and wants, so no need to second guess or stop now.
I'm totally satisfied with my 12 Pro Max and have been totally satisfied with all the versions of Apple's largest iPhones and will continue to use the largest one available.
Good Luck everyone with your decision for which ever iPhone you choose to use.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I 'downgraded' from an 11 to the 12 mini, while planning to upgrade to the 13 (pro or non pro) when available.
But now that I've been using the mini for a while, I have to say that I really like its form factor, and that I don't really miss a bigger screen (even watching videos (which I rarely do) works well for me, all I do is to watch them from a slightly closer distance than if it was a 12 or bigger).
'Real' mobile video watching (like movies or Netflix shows), if at all, I'll do on my iPad.
The only issue I'm having with it is that I still hate typing on glass, even many years after abandoning the Blackberry world. And that, for me, not really depends on the screen size. I'm so bad in typing on any non-PKB-device that I have to use swiping instead, and still constantly make 'typing' errors.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
PKB, totally dismissed and made fun of by Steve Jobs when he unveiled iPhone, lol. Using full screen, eliminating PKB which always stays there occupying precious screen space whether you use it or not made an enormous sense. I never even considered any phone with PKB....until I had a chance to experiment with a Blackberries which made me rethink. I was using Palm, Treo and any number of varieties pre-iPhone but thought it was cumbersome. But when using BB PKB, I could view PKB from a different angle. Not missing a beat when typing, and most of all, keyboard shortcut was superb and so convenient. So, I do not totally dismiss PKB even after totally immersed in virtual keyboard. I had been updating iPhone every single year sight unseen until X when Apple introduced overly hyped OLED and face ID only to jack up price (IMO) crossing $1000/phone territory. They have their own warts. My choice of SE is largely (Or almost entirely) because it is the last available small model with touch ID. I use it extensively for tap payment, besides checking email, text and very rarely phone calls (people seldom bug anybody by calling them these days). My iPhone virtually became my wallet after ApplePay experience (in Canada). I know face ID is also convenient for tap payment, but I felt something is not quite right in the use case and touch ID feels more natural and quick for the purpose If/when iPhone is equipped with some (any) form of touch ID, my gadget freak mind will restart my yearly update routine, lol. Coming back to size, every time I went to Apple Store and handled Pro or Max, it did not feel so big, but when I experimented with my friend's pro max just for a few minutes, I knew it was not for me. I am not against pro model though (max I can tolerate with as a "mobile" smart phone). I was also serious about 12 Mini but they have common deficiencies, lack of touch ID, lol. It is rumoured that 14 in next year might have an in-screen touch ID. I can wait for it. End of my episode....

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Apple is quite smart in 'catching' customers and never letting them go again, as we all know. My examples:

I think that even if Blackberry would resurrect somehow, I don't think that I would go back, despite me missing PKBs really deeply. There is too much good stuff taking place between my Mac and the iPhone, which makes my life a little more convenient.
Also, I bought an Apple watch, and got so very much used to features like iPhone unlock while wearing a mask, Apple pay via watch (I don't even have to take the phone out), that day after day, when promising myself to start using my expensive mechanical watch again, I surrender and put on the Apple watch, just for laziness and convenience.
Oh - that's quite off topic.
Anyway, there is nothing I miss on a small iPhone, even the mini. I think that the only reason for me to upgrade back to a bigger one will be if they announce OSD but on the 13 pro models only (that's the other thing I reminisce about Blackberries - to get informed that something has arrived for me, without constantly having to unlock the device to check (or without forcing a 3rd reason onto me, why I have to wear the Apple watch all the time)).

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
OK, can someone let Apple know that I am so willing to pay even $2,000 for 12 Mini (or Pro) if it has a touch ID, serious, lol

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Take this FWIW but the Mini and similar sized screens are a bit more for younger eyes (50 year old eagle eyed people exempted). My iPhone is the brain/center of too many things for so much usage of a smaller screen and text and keyboard. My banking, investment accounts, HVAC control, irrigation system, water heater,garage door, lights, payments at stores, work emails, camera/pics, texting, GPS, health metrics from Watch and I’m sure I’m missing other things. That’s a lot of time spent watching-interfacing-typing. I’m not looking to find the smallest screen iPhone, I’m looking for the biggest screen possible that I can still comfortably bring with me everywhere. For that sweet spot I go with the Pro but wish I could haul around the Max for 3 or 4 weeks to see how that would jive with being on the go.

But significant downsizing to Mini? That’s a lot of screen time spent on a notably smaller image. Make regular visits to the optometrist and keep those eyes working well. Otherwise with your mini you’ll have some explaining to do to text and email recipients (among others) especially thanks auto spellcheck. :)

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I really want a small device. I'd use the Mini model if it had great battery life and just as good of cameras as the Max version, but since it doesn't, I'm going to pick up the 13 Pro Max.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I think you’re making a good choice.
I know some here are speaking of downsizing and that’s a very individual thing. Some like the smaller form factor, easy to carry, price. That’s optimum use case for some. But IME I just don’t hear people say their phone is too big, while occasionally they regret not going at least a size up.

You can always use the pro max and decide before the no questions asked return period. If it’s too big drop down to the pro. If you use it four months then decide it’s too big,The phone will likely hold its value very well. You’ll get enough to be near buying the pro.
But again I think you’re making the right choice. Bigger is better for a smartphone you plan to use a lot doing many things.
Best of luck…

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I have just used my”older eyes” and woke up my 4s (poor thing). I can see it well enough to use to read a book. Point is, I use my iPad for emailing, typing etc because it is more comfortable, (big fingers) although I can still type on my 4s fine.
So, a smaller, cheaper, phone would be a good fit for me,I have always felt my XS was too big and fragile, ( too much leverage against itself) I would love a 4s size phone with a full screen.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I was super surprised at how much I liked the mini compared to the max. It's a perfect size to carry and pocket plus one handed all the way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73