Do you plan to use your current iPhone for at least 3 years before upgrading?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While perusing a similar tech site, I came across an article mentioning a survey that claims 1 out 3 iPhone users plan to keep their iPhone for 3 years before upgrading.

Source: https://www.blink.ai/post/blinkai-s-2021-smartphone-consumer-report

I would definitely keep my current iPhone 12 Pro for a year and I could easily see myself using it for a second year. With that being said, there’s no where I’d be using it as a primary device for a 3rd year, minus any financial hardship or something. What about you?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I might go 3 years with my 12 Pro Max. I used a 6s Plus for 5 years. With the first, I went 3 years. Took it to an Apple Store for a new battery. They broke the camera and flash, and gave me a brand new 6s Plus. Kept it 2 years. This 12 Pro Max is a great iPhone. 6 months and still at 100% battery health. I don't see any reason to upgrade anytime soon. I'll look at it in 2022, but I doubt it'll be enough to make me upgrade.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had my iPhone 12 for just a month.
I have kept all my previous iPhones for two years, I don’t expect that to change.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Why not? It’s one of the benefits of Apple updating their phones for so long.

I have an 11 pro and see no reason to upgrade. Battery is still good and, even if it wasn’t, I could get it replaced rather cheaply.

I think it’s a personal choice but I don’t see the need to update yearly for sure.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Makes me laugh ! I intend to keep my XS till ‘22 at the moment, I’ll see how it’s doing then.
It would be nice to keep it till it becomes obsolete (no more updates) I’d have kept my 4s but for that.
I don’t need, or care about the newest gadget, but like the ecosystem.

fairmarketvalue

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
[T]here’s no where I’d be using it [iPhone 12 Pro] as a primary device for a 3rd year, minus any financial hardship or something. What about you?

What's magic about a year or two? Will your 12 not work after a year or two, or is it just a fashion statement kind of thing? Three years is a no-brainer to me, given that I can rely on Apple continuing to support my 11 Pro for at least that period of time. The only caveat would be if there were battery issues, but I believe that would be a fairly rare occurrence for most.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What's magic about a year or two? Will your 12 not work after a year or two, or is it just a fashion statement kind of thing? Three years is a no-brainer to me, given that I can rely on Apple continuing to support my 11 Pro for at least that period of time. The only caveat would be if there were battery issues, but I believe that would be a fairly rare occurrence for most.

I’m sure my iPhone 12 Pro will function beyond 3 years, but I know “me”. After the second year, I’ll be craving a newer model. That’s all.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I always keep my phone for at least two years, even though the temptation of getting a new phone is always strong!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
lol no. I upgrade every year just because of battery degradation and my obsession with having the latest and greatest phones.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm typically an annual upgrader but here it is, April 19th 2021 and I'm still using my 11 Pro from October 3rd 2019 with 94% battery capacity remaining!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm typically an annual upgrader but here it is, April 19th 2021 and I'm still using my 11 Pro from October 3rd 2019 with 94% battery capacity remaining!

Unless the iPhone 13 wows me, I foresee keeping my iPhone 12 Pro another year, but not for a 3rd year…. ;)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Unless the iPhone 13 wows me, I foresee keeping my iPhone 12 Pro another year, but not for a 3rd year…. ;)

Yeah If it doesn’t wow I could see just getting a new battery in my 11 Pro. Shoot I just upgraded from my series 4 watch to the black unity model LOL

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Well last year when I hit the 3+ year mark with my 7 Plus I was more than ready to upgrade to my 11 Pro Max. Since I buy everything out right I sort of have to strategically plan my purchases since I have two other Apple users aka my kids in the household. With all of the Apple tech between us bought last year I think we’re set for at least another year unless something just grabs me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2