Keep your iPhone 12 away from your pacemaker

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I just saw this on CNN. This is from an Apple support notice issued on Saturday. Apparently the magnets in the iPhone 12s to support MAGSAFE may interfere with an implanted pacemaker and defibrillator. At least 6" is the recommendation.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/25/tech/iphone-12-medical-device-interference/index.html

Just a thought here, I wonder if Apple would consider crediting folks who bought a iPhone 12 and have an ICD implant as long as you would buy another Apple product without the magnets like the model 12 has.

It’s a very small percentage of their total iPhone 12 sales and would be a great gesture for those folks, myself included in that group.

Last edited:

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pacemaker/ICD. I own the 12 Pro Max and was using the Apple plate charger. When I read this, I stopped using wireless charging. I would accept an exchange of my 12 for a comparable 11 Pro Max. I had one before and loved it.

I have an Apple Watch 5 but aren't as worried about the charging pad for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Well, I downgraded to an SE2, I am upset that I paid all that money for my iPhone 12 Pro and to now have concerns about the magnets interfering with my ICD implant.

But, I would rather be safe then sorry and I did think about going back to my iPhone 11 Pro, but without 5G support, what would be the point and my twin brother has the same model and it’s been a great device and I do like the forum factor.

I will greatly miss the gestures which I have become accustomed too, hopefully Apple will find a solution for this issue, there are many of us out there with ICD’s and I think it would be in their best interest to come up with a viable solution, time will tell and I am a optimist.

PS: I would love to get a email contact to someone at Apple support who I could voice my concerns to? I have searched a lot of forums and only found phone numbers.

Hopefully someone out there on the forums can get one for me or at least get me in touch with someone at Apple who can hear my concerns. PM me if you can help please.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I downgraded to an SE2, I am upset that I paid all that money for my iPhone 12 Pro and to now have concerns about the magnets interfering with my ICD implant.

But, I would rather be safe then sorry and I did think about going back to my iPhone 11 Pro, but without 5G support, what would be the point and my twin brother has the same model and it’s been a great device and I do like the forum factor.

I will greatly miss the gestures which I have become accustomed too, hopefully Apple will find a solution for this issue, there are many of us out there with ICD’s and I think it would be in their best interest to come up with a viable solution, time will tell and I am a optimist.

PS: I would love to get a email contact to someone at Apple support who I could voice my concerns to? I have searched a lot of forums and only found phone numbers.

Hopefully someone out there on the forums can get one for me or at least get me in touch with someone at Apple who can hear my concerns. PM me if you can help please.

I'm in the same situation as posted above. Please message me with good contact information. I'm 76 and as you might understand, I would like not to have a problem.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same situation as posted above. Please message me with good contact information. I'm 76 and as you might understand, I would like not to have a problem.

Will do sir, as I stated I had my 12 Pro since launch with no issues, but the article has me concerned and it’s not worth the risk involved.

As with you, I would like to go back to using my 12 Pro knowing I am OK and I am 65.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Well folks, I have been researching as much information as I can find about the iPhone 12 models and the interference issues with ICD devices.

I read the Apple website warning and the warning my ICD device manufacturer sent to me which was to follow the Apple guidelines.

I was very concerned at first and may have jumped the gun, I have had my iPhone 12 Pro since launch day and haven’t had any interference issues with my ICD implant.

I just had my annual device checkup in January and they said the device was functioning perfectly and I had my iPhone 12 Pro with me at the time of the test.

Apple recommends staying 12 inches away from any MagSafe or wireless wireless charging device while the device is charging and when not charging, maintain 6 inches of distance between any cell phone and you ICD.

I have been following those rules since I had my device implanted in 2017 and haven’t had any issues, so I am going to continue to use my 12 Pro and follow the guidelines that Apple and my device manufacturer recommend, which I have always done from the beginning.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on this important subject. I would recommend you contact your device manufacturer or medical professional and get their recommendation.

I hope this helps some folks out there who have been on the fence over this. As for the new SE2 I just bought, it looks like another trip to the Apple store for a refund.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if a company would come out with a case for the 12 series to block the magsafe magnets. It would defeat the purpose for having that, but it would make it safer for those with implants to use. It would also likely kill any chance for any kind of wireless charging, but considering the alternative, it would be worth it.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if a company would come out with a case for the 12 series to block the magsafe magnets. It would defeat the purpose for having that, but it would make it safer for those with implants to use. It would also likely kill any chance for any kind of wireless charging, but considering the alternative, it would be worth it.

That’s a great idea and as I stated in one of my earlier post, I would like to get an email contact of someone at Apple who we could voice our concerns and ideas to, if someone out there on the forums could provide us with a good contact person, please PM me.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
What blocks magnetism? I wonder if in next years iPhone line up if MAGSAFE will be history? Luckily I don’t have an ICD device yet. I would think that if your ICD device is implanted on the left side of your chest that if you use the phone on you right ear you might be fine.

When I go out my iPhone 12 Pro MAX is in a belt holster on my right side. Every so often though when I pick up my phone from where I leave it when I’m home I do put it in a shirt pocket to carry.

As keen as Apple is on health I would have thought they would have looked into to this problem before putting in MAGSAFE. Oh well as the old saying goes “hindsight is 20-20”.

If anything I would have thought that the RF from all of the transmitters in the iPhone would have been the cause of problems. I guess the manufacturers of the ICD devices have made great inroads in shielding the devices from RF radiation.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
What blocks magnetism? I wonder if in next years iPhone line up if MAGSAFE will be history? Luckily I don’t have an ICD device yet. I would think that if your ICD device is implanted on the left side of your chest that if you use the phone on you right ear you might be fine.

When I go out my iPhone 12 Pro MAX is in a belt holster on my right side. Every so often though when I pick up my phone from where I leave it when I’m home I do put it in a shirt pocket to carry.

As keen as Apple is on health I would have thought they would have looked into to this problem before putting in MAGSAFE. Oh well as the old saying goes “hindsight is 20-20”.

If anything I would have thought that the RF from all of the transmitters in the iPhone would have been the cause of problems. I guess the manufacturers of the ICD devices have made great inroads in shielding the devices from RF radiation.

Very good points and I have reached out to some technical support folks and case manufacturers and hoping someone can develop a case that offers some protection.

As for now, I will continue to be diligent in maintaining a safe distance between my ICD and any cell phone as recommended by Apple and my device manufacturer. So far it’s paid off and I haven’t had any interference issues.

I am just trying to help others out there who are very concerned after reading the warning from Apple. Hopefully my correspondence and persistence pays off.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Very good points and I have reached out to some technical support folks and case manufacturers and hoping someone can develop a case that offers some protection.

As for now, I will continue to be diligent in maintaining a safe distance between my ICD and any cell phone as recommended by Apple and my device manufacturer. So far it’s paid off and I haven’t had any interference issues.

I am just trying to help others out there who are very concerned after reading the warning from Apple. Hopefully my correspondence and persistence pays off.

Why not reach out to case manufacturers like Otterbox, Spigen, Speck, Casemate, Caseology, Ringke, Nomad, Incipio, etc.? Seems this is a groundbreaking idea, and surely someone would want to jump on it!!!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Why not reach out to case manufacturers like Otterbox, Spigen, Speck, Casemate, Caseology, Ringke, Nomad, Incipio, etc.? Seems this is a groundbreaking idea, and surely someone would want to jump on it!!!

I already reached out to Incipio and they forwarded to their development department, I will continue to reach out. I also posted it on the Apple iPhone forums and have had some good feedback.

In the end if I can at least get someone thinking about it, I have done what I intended to do.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I already reached out to Incipio and they forwarded to their development department, I will continue to reach out. I also posted it on the Apple iPhone forums and have had some good feedback.

In the end if I can at least get someone thinking about it, I have done what I intended to do.

Exactly, and I think there's a really good market for it.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Back on my iPhone 12 Pro now and following the Apple guidelines for ICD patients. I did end end trading my black one for the gold model which I wanted in the first place, it’s looks rich and I am liking it.