Flashing Apple Logo On Forced Reboot.

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Received my new shiny 12 pro max last week, but it kept locking up when using it.

I've tried a forced reboot a couple of times but when holding the power button down waiting for the Apple logo to appear, the Apple logo flashes a couple of times then disappears, but does restart when I touch the screen. I also don't get the progress bar that you would normally see after a forced reboot.

Any suggestion guys? Restore from iTunes? Duff unit? send it back? I have until February 9th to send it back ( Amazon).

Many many thanks in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the device is only a week old, I would make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store in your area, if open, and have it replaced. If the Apple Store in your area is closed for business then I would definitely contact Apple Support about the matter and get it replaced.

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
If the device is only a week old, I would make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store in your area, if open, and have it replaced. If the Apple Store in your area is closed for business then I would definitely contact Apple Support about the matter and get it replaced.

I've sent it back this morning. Ordered a new one directly from Apple which will be here this afternoon. Try again I suppose!

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, initially, the replacement 12 pro max didn't do it. Now it does. After further sniffing around, apparently, it's an issue on certain phones from ios 14.2 onwards. I updated my replacement phone to 14.4 and it was OK. A few days later, it was also doing the same. I,e on a forced reboot, the apple logo only appears for a split second at maximum brightness, then disappears. So you're never sure if it actually did a force reboot or just restarting.

Going on numerous reports, ios 14.5 has fixed this. So, I didn't really need to replace my phone in the first place! Ah well. Just glad it's a software rather than a hardware issue. Happy days.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Good to hear I’m not alone in thinking this was weird. My 11 pro max never did this (passed it on to my wife to replace an aging phone). Was beginning to think I may have made the wrong choice.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear I’m not alone in thinking this was weird. My 11 pro max never did this (passed it on to my wife to replace an aging phone). Was beginning to think I may have made the wrong choice.

Good to hear you got it worked out. Issues like that can often come from a corrupted back up. So, setting up a phone as new can sometimes fix issues like that. But updating the OS worked for you.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Good to hear you got it worked out. Issues like that can often come from a corrupted back up. So, setting up a phone as new can sometimes fix issues like that. But updating the OS worked for you.

Oh it’s still doing it. I’m just waiting for 14.5 to drop. (Or get another beta release or two out before dipping my toe in that.)

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I sent my iPhone pro back for same reason, quick flashing logo before starting. When got the new one I started it and shut it down several times with no problems. After the OS updated when I set it up with my other phone is when that quick flashing started. Was hoping today's 14.4.1 update would fix it. Still happening. Very Frustrating.
Vinny

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
@Vegas ConGrats on your new iPhone 12 Pro Max. Hopefully this issue will be fixed with iOS 14.5.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I sent my iPhone pro back for same reason, quick flashing logo before starting. When got the new one I started it and shut it down several times with no problems. After the OS updated when I set it up with my other phone is when that quick flashing started. Was hoping today's 14.4.1 update would fix it. Still happening. Very Frustrating.
Vinny

I understand your frustration. Yesterday's iOS 14.4.1 update was a security update. As @Spencerdl just said, "Hopefully this issue will be fixed with iOS 14.5". From what I can tell, that should be released in a week or two, possibly in conjunction with the rumored Apple Event.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
From what I’ve been reading, iOS 14.5 fixes this issue. I too am having the flashing apple logo aka flashgate. It doesn’t interfere with how the operating system works.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Just as a follow up to this, the 14.5 update “fixed” the issue. Didn’t need to erase the phone/set up as new or anything. Just applied the 14.5 update OTA. ??????

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711