Hi all,

Received my new shiny 12 pro max last week, but it kept locking up when using it.

I've tried a forced reboot a couple of times but when holding the power button down waiting for the Apple logo to appear, the Apple logo flashes a couple of times then disappears, but does restart when I touch the screen. I also don't get the progress bar that you would normally see after a forced reboot.

Any suggestion guys? Restore from iTunes? Duff unit? send it back? I have until February 9th to send it back ( Amazon).

Many many thanks in advance.
    01-18-2021 12:16 PM
    If the device is only a week old, I would make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store in your area, if open, and have it replaced. If the Apple Store in your area is closed for business then I would definitely contact Apple Support about the matter and get it replaced.
    01-18-2021 01:37 PM
    If the device is only a week old, I would make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store in your area, if open, and have it replaced. If the Apple Store in your area is closed for business then I would definitely contact Apple Support about the matter and get it replaced.
    I've sent it back this morning. Ordered a new one directly from Apple which will be here this afternoon. Try again I suppose!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-19-2021 06:48 AM
    Well, initially, the replacement 12 pro max didn't do it. Now it does. After further sniffing around, apparently, it's an issue on certain phones from ios 14.2 onwards. I updated my replacement phone to 14.4 and it was OK. A few days later, it was also doing the same. I,e on a forced reboot, the apple logo only appears for a split second at maximum brightness, then disappears. So you're never sure if it actually did a force reboot or just restarting.

Going on numerous reports, ios 14.5 has fixed this. So, I didn't really need to replace my phone in the first place! Ah well. Just glad it's a software rather than a hardware issue. Happy days.
    Just_Me_D, Seneca09 and applejosh like this.
    02-06-2021 05:11 AM
    Good to hear I’m not alone in thinking this was weird. My 11 pro max never did this (passed it on to my wife to replace an aging phone). Was beginning to think I may have made the wrong choice.
    02-27-2021 08:17 PM
    Good to hear I’m not alone in thinking this was weird. My 11 pro max never did this (passed it on to my wife to replace an aging phone). Was beginning to think I may have made the wrong choice.
    Good to hear you got it worked out. Issues like that can often come from a corrupted back up. So, setting up a phone as new can sometimes fix issues like that. But updating the OS worked for you.
    02-27-2021 09:00 PM
    Good to hear you got it worked out. Issues like that can often come from a corrupted back up. So, setting up a phone as new can sometimes fix issues like that. But updating the OS worked for you.
    Oh it’s still doing it. I’m just waiting for 14.5 to drop. (Or get another beta release or two out before dipping my toe in that.)
    02-27-2021 09:25 PM