So whats the Verdict on Magsafe?

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Complete waste of time and more importantly, space? Or the next great Apple feature?

Personally, I have no use for it. I have the 12 Pro and will not be purchasing any mag safe chargers. The click on wallet seems like a complete fail based on it falling off when you pocket your device. Watching JerryRig take it apart and the magnets definitely take up space which, I assume, is why the battery size has been reduced from last year.

I would have much rather had a bigger battery.

How about you?

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Only good for a magnic car holder in my opinion but to each his own and apple would of not done it unless they did some research on it first.

Not everyone will feel the way you and I do so let's see if it's around next year!

Correction I just tried it on my car holder and it doesn't work go figure so I guess it’s useless to me.

Last edited:

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
The Magsafe charger solves a tiny little problem for me, to easily find the right spot to begin/optimize charging. However, this never felt so bad that I thought there has to be a solution or it will drive me mad.

Having said that. I ordered the new Belkin Magsafe car mount (overpriced, I know), to be delivered in a few weeks. If it works as desired (firm hod, no falling off of the phone), it will solve a somewhat bigger problem for me: having the phone screen in sight, without having to purchase other systems that require a magnet to be glued on to the back of the phone, or to fiddle with magnets inside a case. I never liked these clip on car mounts either.

So providing it works, this Magsafe mount will be something I'll enjoy having & using.

However, none of that is life-changing, and I could have survived without all of it. We'll see. Maybe smarter/more useful applications will arrive over time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it’s a cool and useful gadget for some people. I don’t want it and nor do I need it, but that’s Just_Me_D....

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
The Magsafe charger solves a tiny little problem for me, to easily find the right spot to begin/optimize charging. However, this never felt so bad that I thought there has to be a solution or it will drive me mad.

Having said that. I ordered the new Belkin Magsafe car mount (overpriced, I know), to be delivered in a few weeks. If it works as desired (firm hod, no falling off of the phone), it will solve a somewhat bigger problem for me: having the phone screen in sight, without having to purchase other systems that require a magnet to be glued on to the back of the phone, or to fiddle with magnets inside a case. I never liked these clip on car mounts either.

So providing it works, this Magsafe mount will be something I'll enjoy having & using.

However, none of that is life-changing, and I could have survived without all of it. We'll see. Maybe smarter/more useful applications will arrive over time.

No CarPlay?

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought on to use with my new 12 Pro Max. Sweet spot is not easy to find for charging. If I pick up the phone, the Mag head falls off; weak magnet. I tried with and without my thin case and it's marginally better without the case. Wish I had saved my money.

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought on to use with my new 12 Pro Max. Sweet spot is not easy to find for charging. If I pick up the phone, the Mag head falls off; weak magnet. I tried with and without my thin case and it's marginally better without the case. Wish I had saved my money.

Could be the case you’re using. I have the Apple leather case and I’m 100% positive I can pick the phone up using only the mag safe cable and jostle it around up and down and it holds.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
It's literally no different than using a wireless charger. I felt stupid paying $40 for the MagSafe charger so I returned it. I'm just going to use my two wireless chargers sitting around the house because the MagSafe charger is unnecessary.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the MagSafe charger. Will be here Wednesday. Definitely looking forward to trying it. Also with the wallet cases after trying it you have to try to make it fall off the back of your phone or use a case that’s not MagSafe compatible. I see zero issues using it from my experience but to each their own.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Could be the case you’re using. I have the Apple leather case and I’m 100% positive I can pick the phone up using only the mag safe cable and jostle it around up and down and it holds.

I tried with and without the case. Marginally better without the case but still doesn't meet my expectations. Would love to hear from others about their experience.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I purchased the MagSafe charger. Will be here Wednesday. Definitely looking forward to trying it. Also with the wallet cases after trying it you have to try to make it fall off the back of your phone or use a case that’s not MagSafe compatible. I see zero issues using it from my experience but to each their own.

So, when you put it in your pants pocket, it’s stays securely on the back of the phone?

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
So, when you put it in your pants pocket, it’s stays securely on the back of the phone?

Yes. There’s another thread on here with a picture of the person holding the wallet only and the phone is hanging from the wallet and that’s with the wallet sideways and not fully on the back of the phone. The thread is “should I get the apple wallet with MagSafe for iPhone 12” it’s the 21st post I believe.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Yes. There’s another thread on here with a picture of the person holding the wallet only and the phone is hanging from the wallet and that’s with the wallet sideways and not fully on the back of the phone. The thread is “should I get the apple wallet with MagSafe for iPhone 12” it’s the 21st post I believe.

It looks strong but will it stay on when you put it in your front pocket? That’s a totally different scenario. Your pants are going to catch it. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t stay on. Which would make it worthless to me.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
It looks strong but will it stay on when you put it in your front pocket? That’s a totally different scenario. Your pants are going to catch it. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t stay on. Which would make it worthless to me.

Not really if it’s that strong to hold the phone and when you go to take it off you have to put a little bit of force behind pulling it off. But if what you’ve seen in videos tells you otherwise then maybe it isn’t for you.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
For my use case its worthless, more specifically, the mag safe charger. The cable is too damn short. I’d pick up the Belkin car Mount if it were a wireless charger at that price point.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox