ATT and 5G SIM card

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Curious, anyone here using ATT as their service provider?
If so, did you happen to purchase an iPhone 12, and did you obtain a new 5G SIM from ATT?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
To be clear, I purchased a SIM free unlocked device, directly from Apple.
Hence, my question...

Maybe not the answer you’re looking for but I chose for the eSim option with my carrier.
I’m gonna keep the SIM card slot free for on vacation abroad.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Someone on another forum just explained to me that with ATT, you have to obtain a plan/service, that includes 5G, i.e. pay ATT more a month!
And, with that, you get a new white SIM card.

Ugh! Is all I can say to that...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Someone on another forum just explained to me that with ATT, you have to obtain a plan/service, that includes 5G, i.e. pay ATT more a month!
And, with that, you get a new white SIM card.

Ugh! Is all I can say to that...

I already had a relatively current unlimited plan with T-Mobile Netherlands. 5G came free with it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This isn’t Att but I’m with T-Mobile to maybe this may help. T-Mobile you have to switch to the new 5G SIM card to get stand alone 5G. The old sim car would still work but you just lose stand alone. T-Mobile doesn’t require you to switch plans as if your on an LTE plan, you automatically get 5G as well as no extra cost.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Just spoke with ATT, and we currently have Unlimited plan Choice 2, at $175 a month, for 4 lines.

The Unlimited Starter 5G plan is $200 a month, for 4 lines. Since we have 4 lines on the account, and thus far, only one has an iPhone 12, I will wait, before changing to the Unlimited Starter 5G plan...

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
AT&T I was told I would need a new SIM card to get 5G and change my plan. I purchased an 12 Pro Max Unlocked from Apple. I just moved my SIM over from my XS Max. There is NO 5G anywhere close to where I live in WA State at this time. Plus I am on a very old plan that's no longer offered and for my wife and I with 2 Apple Watches, 2 iPad Pros w/ Cell and 2 Active iPhones I am paying about $130 a month. I don't want to ad $60 to $80 a month for non-existing 5G.

So for now I am just ignoring 5G.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I certainly do not blame you.
Plus, with the current 'work from home' measures, it is not like I 'need' 5G. Currently connected to WIFI about 90% of the time. So...

AT&T I was told I would need a new SIM card to get 5G and change my plan. I purchased an 12 Pro Max Unlocked from Apple. I just moved my SIM over from my XS Max. There is NO 5G anywhere close to where I live in WA State at this time. Plus I am on a very old plan that's no longer offered and for my wife and I with 2 Apple Watches, 2 iPad Pros w/ Cell and 2 Active iPhones I am paying about $130 a month. I don't want to ad $60 to $80 a month for non-existing 5G.

So for now I am just ignoring 5G.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I certainly do not blame you.
Plus, with the current 'work from home' measures, it is not like I 'need' 5G. Currently connected to WIFI about 90% of the time. So...

Even with 5G vs LTE I can't see the massive difference for day-2-day use... even at work, at a hotel for work or travel, at Starbucks etc.. there is Wifi. With Xfinity and AT&T having some public WIFI there is still some wifi. Not sure how 5G would help me personally 95% of the time? Not like I want to play a video game over cellular while in a park? When I am not at places where wifi normally exist the most I am doing is sending/receiving calls and emails.

I can see if I want to email or text movies or large photos... but for me, that's not common. I would need to see a LOT of value to give ATT another $600-$800 a year on top of the $1350 a year I currently pay them.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke with ATT, and we currently have Unlimited plan Choice 2, at $175 a month, for 4 lines.

The Unlimited Starter 5G plan is $200 a month, for 4 lines. Since we have 4 lines on the account, and thus far, only one has an iPhone 12, I will wait, before changing to the Unlimited Starter 5G plan...

My plan actually went down in price, they said I was grandfathered in what ever that meant. I have six lines I’m not sure if that made a difference. I also had to change plans and use new sims that came with phones. The new plan bumped up the the hotspot by 5 gigs for each line too. I hope after a few months all the credits will kick in like they say otherwise I’ll pitch a fit with them.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
If so, did you happen to purchase an iPhone 12, and did you obtain a new 5G SIM from ATT?

I have the 12 pro with att. They did give me a new 5g sim but i didn’t change to a 5g plan right away. The new sim works fine with older plans. I upgraded my plan last night and 5g kicked on right away. Hope this helps

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I decided to call AT&T (since I could not "compare plans" on their website.

Currently on my plan I have my iPhone (12 Pro Max) my wife's iPhone 8, my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 with Cellular, my S6 watch and my wife's S6 watch. Our plan for Cellular on 5 devices with unlimited data w/Tax = $132.00 a month.

The cheapest plan they could get me into on AT&T with a 2-year commitment w/Tax = $192.00 a month a difference of $60.00 a month (6x12=72) or $720 more a year for my iPhone 12 Pro Max (only device we have that is 5G ready) to get 5G. I must say, that's a hard pass!

ps... still using my SIM from my XS Max.

gaijin88

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site

I have the 12 Pro Max and just got the ATT Unlimited Elite 5G plan (and I’m paying about $30 less than my previous unlimited plan). I am using the SIM that came with the phone. I am receiving 5G here in San Diego.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
They have a new 5G branded SIM card but it is not required for 5G. I’m still using my same old sim with the new 5G plan just fine on my 12 Pro Max.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I was told by 3 different people at ATT that a new sim was needed... those 3 people are WRONG and yet I believed them until I found out they were wrong. Regardless a plan that would give me 5G is $720 a year more, so I am not getting 5G.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I was told by 3 different people at ATT that a new sim was needed... those 3 people are WRONG and yet I believed them until I found out they were wrong. Regardless a plan that would give me 5G is $720 a year more, so I am not getting 5G.

I'm with you on that. I'm not throwing $50 more a month for 5G. I got the 12 Pro Max only to upgrade from an 8 Plus. For me and how I use my phone, the only really big improvement is the cameral.
I don't feel the need right now for really fast downloads.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox