Question: Iphone 12 Pro Max and Apple Care+

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hoping someone can provide a quick answer to this question, since I may be overthinking.....
I typically buy Android Phones and rarely get insurance for myself, but I decided to buy an Iphone 12 Pro Max as a gift for a family member. It'll be replacing their Iphone 6 Plus (from 2014, I think).

I purchased the phone, silicone case, charging cables, and 2 Years of Apple Care+ with theft protection (prepaid at the time of purchase) from Apple.com. They normally do purchase Apple Care themselves, but I decided to be proactive and include it as part of the gift. I shipped the phone yesterday and they should receive everything Monday or Tuesday of next week. The phone and all accessories are unopened still shrink wrapped.

I got an email from Apple yesterday, telling me the terms of Apple Care+ and was concerned about the following:

10. Transfer of Plan
Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your rights
under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) you transfer to the other party the original proof of purchase,
the Plan's Confirmation, the Plan’s printed materials and this service contract; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer
by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217-AC,
2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-405-3655 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively,
and (c) the other party accepts the terms of this service contract.

Do I need to email Apple and tell them that I bought everything as a gift for my family member; we share the last name, in order for Apple to recognize the coverage and honor the agreement, if my relative has to make a claim in the future?

I can definitely send Apple an email, but wonder if that is necessary. I'm hoping others can weight in. Surely a parent or grandparent has purchased an Iphone with Apple Care for their kids and vice versa. When my relative receives the phone, I am planning to forward them a copy of the email Apple sent me, but will they need to do anything ensure AppleCare+ is activated, other than ensure Find My Iphone App is activated?

They never sell their phones/ipads, etc, but if they find that the Iphone 12 Pro Max is too big, coming from an Iphone 6 PLUS, they could potentially sell it. At that point, the phone would've already been activated with their Apple ID, so I can see why they may need to transfer AppleCare+ to the new owner, but I'm hoping they are happy with the upgrade, use it, and enjoy it.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
A couple of choices (I have been here before...!):

You can do this "Do I need to email Apple and tell them that I bought everything as a gift for my family member".
Alternatively, if an issue ever comes up, you can process the process for the individual, via Apple/Apple shop. I have done this, since the Apple Care at the time was in my name.

Alas, your previous suggestion, to me, would be more practical...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods