iPhone 12 Pro Max Wireless Charging

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
What are you using to charge your 12 Pro Max?

None of my Qi chargers work right. They have worked for years one every iphone and Android phone.
Must be the coil location. I did get it to charge on my Samsung 15W charger but upside down. This AM however the charge light blinks red.

So I wound up plugging it into one of my mbp USB-C ports to charge and it charged pretty fast.

I'm going to be pissed if I have to buy a magsafe charger for $40, and it charges slower but that may be better for the battery longterm. It would be charging overnight.

I have a few other chargers I need to try this with.

But every iphone, since my 8+ has never had an issue with wireless charging outside of using a pop socket case.

And now this!

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
What are you using to charge your 12 Pro Max?

None of my Qi chargers work right. They have worked for years one every iphone and Android phone.
Must be the coil location. I did get it to charge on my Samsung 15W charger but upside down. This AM however the charge light blinks red.

So I wound up plugging it into one of my mbp USB-C ports to charge and it charged pretty fast.

I'm going to be pissed if I have to buy a magsafe charger for $40, and it charges slower but that may be better for the battery longterm. It would be charging overnight.

I have a few other chargers I need to try this with.

But every iphone, since my 8+ has never had an issue with wireless charging outside of using a pop socket case.

And now this!

I used my nomad wireless charging pad last night and it worked fine on my 12 pro max

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a 12 Pro Max and having no problem with any of my wireless charges (all Amazon purchases)

I did switch my nightstand charger out for a Magsafe, but in my office I have two Qi Wireless (flat & standup) and both work fine.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have 3 of the Anker wireless charging stands that I’ve had since my XS. All 3 worked with my 11 Pro Max, but while all 3 still work with my 12 pro Max, one of the is very particular with the positioning of the phone, for it to work right.

The one that is finicky will look like it is working for maybe 5 seconds, then stop with the blue light blinking and not charging. This will happen if the phone is shifted a little to the right, when seated on the stand. If it if perfectly centered or to the left, it works fine.

The other 2 work fine, no matter where you place the phone.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
My Choetec slanted desk chargers I've had for the past 5 years have never let me down. Everything works with them. Not this phone! Doesn't even acknowledge anything at all. My Samsung fast charger (the latest one) that works with everything including flawless operation with every iphone with wireless charging will charge for about 2 minutes and then the LED starts flashing red on and off and the charging stops.

I'm going to try a magsafe next. I only use wireless charging on the nightstand so it can be slow. But waking up to a phone with 55% battery, that's not going to work! Sure I can plug in but I typically only plug in when backing up or doing something where I need to be connected to my Mac. Less wear and tear on the port (I know they are actually pretty durable and reliable) but my biggest peeve about using the wire all the time is the scratches around the opening, all that plugging in the dark! ;)

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
There are a lot of articles and posts on Reddit about wireless charging not working or stopping working. I had that issue. iPhone 12 Pro Max. Put it on some chargers that worked fine on the 11 and at first it worked fine, without a case. Got a case and some did, some didn't. Took the case off and some did, some didn't. Then nothing worked, case or not. Was concerned and did some searching. Some noted that restarting the phone solved their problem. That's power off, power back on. Solved my problem. Every charger is working again case or not. Bizarre. Some noted that their higher end wireless charger got a firmware update that fixed theirs. But...
Turn it off and turn it back on. Hopefully that does it for you too.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
As expected using the magsafe charger works perfectly fine.
The phone has been restarted/power cycled numerous times without change in behavior.

The magsafe charger doesn't really charge other devices reliably including my outdated 11 pro max! ;-)

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
My Choetec slanted desk chargers I've had for the past 5 years have never let me down. Everything works with them. Not this phone! Doesn't even acknowledge anything at all. My Samsung fast charger (the latest one) that works with everything including flawless operation with every iphone with wireless charging will charge for about 2 minutes and then the LED starts flashing red on and off and the charging stops.
It is not you. I have exactly the same device on Choetec charger on my desk. It has charged everything I have put on it that supports wireless charging and it was the first device I sat my 12 Pro Max on right out of the box. Nothing, nada, zip. It charges every other iPhone and Android device I have, but not that. I haven't fully tried my other chargers, so that has yet to be determined. I hope my Samsung fast charger works. I charge both Android and iPhone, so I will need to find generic solutions.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It is not you. I have exactly the same device on Choetec charger on my desk. It has charged everything I have put on it that supports wireless charging and it was the first device I sat my 12 Pro Max on right out of the box. Nothing, nada, zip. It charges every other iPhone and Android device I have, but not that. I haven't fully tried my other chargers, so that has yet to be determined. I hope my Samsung fast charger works. I charge both Android and iPhone, so I will need to find generic solutions.

This is the Samsung charger I have:

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...nd-15w-black-ep-n5200tbegus%2F&token=Hj03zJvc

It does NOT work with the 12 Pro Max. It will chime and show charging with a solid red light on the charger but soon stop charging with a flashing red light. I did get it to charge ONCE by sitting the phone upside down on the charger.

That (Samsung) charger has no issues whatsoever with my other iphones (8+, X, XS Max, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max) and of course all Android devices that are wireless capable.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I have an older one, but my friend, you are scaring me. Here is what I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Cert...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3231386

I am not going to replace every wireless charging device in my house! But I know for sure that the one has to be swapped. It will be a couple of days before I can start testing fully. My phone case was delivered today from Amazon, but it is nowhere to be seen! I don't think it was swiped because I have a camera and the driver never triggered a delivery and no one was caught taking anything. But I don't have the case I would need to take it out and I will not carry it unprotected. So I haven't been able to run the battery down much and charge it. Best wishes on your efforts to find a charger that works. Keep us posted. I am sure the Magsafe will work on your new device. Hopefully you don't have an older iPhone and have to have 2 chargers plugged in.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung charger is plugged into a Samsung 18W power brick.
Since both are USB-C I will try another power source either my 16" mbp port OR the 100W adapter directly.
I did connect the magsafe charger to the 18W Samsung brick and it works fine.
It would appear that the coils inside the (12 Pro Max) are just finicky with chargers which if that turns out to be the case, not cool Apple! Not cool at all!

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I went to recharge my iPhone 12 Pro MAX this AM. Before setting it on my Moshi wireless charger I check the battery status in "Setting". I found that when I charged on last Friday the battery only charged to 96%. So now I have a question anyone who has had an iPhone that supports wireless charging knows that for the wireless charging to work correctly a very thin case had to be installed on the phone. Now that Apple has brought MAGSAFE to the iPhone I'm wondering if the addition part added for MAGSAFE will affect the wireless charging by 3rd party wireless chargers?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I went to recharge my iPhone 12 Pro MAX this AM. Before setting it on my Moshi wireless charger I check the battery status in "Setting". I found that when I charged on last Friday the battery only charged to 96%. So now I have a question anyone who has had an iPhone that supports wireless charging knows that for the wireless charging to work correctly a very thin case had to be installed on the phone. Now that Apple has brought MAGSAFE to the iPhone I'm wondering if the addition part added for MAGSAFE will affect the wireless charging by 3rd party wireless chargers?

I only am using an Apple Leather MagSafe case and it's working fine for both MagSafe and for all my wireless chargers. (12 Pro Max)

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well after I wrote my reply I decided to recharge my phone. And now it made a liar out of me. It did recharge to 100%. BTW I am also using an Apple Leather MAGSAFE case.

ibcop

Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
I also have the issue with with my Pro Max using a Samsung wireless charger - If I stand the device up, it'll start charging and then eventually stop with the red flashing light. Now, if I lay the device horizontal, it'll charge no problem and give me the green light when full. They are definitely finicky.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73