I don’t get Verizon.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just walked into a Verizon store to trade in my iPhone X 256gb for an iPhone 12 Pro Max 512gb phone. To purchase and use the iPhone 12, I am required to sign up for a new 5g plan that costs $40 more per month than what I’m paying now for the top unlimited 4g plan. I’m in upstate NY where there is no 5G and will be no 5G network for a couple of years. I really don’t get this. Verizon was kind enough to suggest that I purchase a 4G iPhone 11 instead. I’m not sure there is a point to upgrading, and I really wanted the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Oh well.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I just walked into a Verizon store to upgrade my iPhone X 256gb to an iPhone 12 Pro Max 512gb phone. To purchase and use the iPhone 12, I am required to sign up for a new 5g plan that is $40 more/month than what I’m paying now. I’m in upstate NY where there is no 5G and will be no 5G network for a couple of years. I really don’t get this. Verizon was kind enough to suggest that I purchase an iPhone 11 instead. I’m not sure there is a point to upgrading, and I really wanted the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Oh well.

That’s sad. T-Mobile has let its customers stay on their same plans with no increase and it includes 5G. All we had to do was swap to the new 5G SIM cards so we could use stand alone 5G.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just walked into a Verizon store to trade in my iPhone X 256gb for an iPhone 12 Pro Max 512gb phone. To purchase and use the iPhone 12, I am required to sign up for a new 5g plan that costs $40 more per month than what I’m paying now for the top unlimited 4g plan. I’m in upstate NY where there is no 5G and will be no 5G network for a couple of years. I really don’t get this. Verizon was kind enough to suggest that I purchase a 4G iPhone 11 instead. I’m not sure there is a point to upgrading, and I really wanted the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Oh well.

That doesn’t make any sense. I literally just chatted a Verizon rep because I’m looking to upgrade my iPhone X to a 12 model as well and he did say that it was NOT necessary to change phone plans.

I also had this concern because I didn’t want to pay more for our plan. As I figured, the rep said when I receive the phone at home, to just take the sim out of my X and put it into the 12 model(which ever I choose).

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Buy unlocked from Apple and use your existing sim card.
They will text you that you need a 5G sim but they can't hotline it (shut down service).
You must have an older plan. When I upgraded to family unlimited it includes 5G.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Buy unlocked from Apple and use your existing sim card.
They will text you that you need a 5G sim but they can't hotline it (shut down service).
You must have an older plan. When I upgraded to family unlimited it includes 5G.

I have some loyalty unlimited plan that the Verizon rep told me is really good and I should keep. I have 2 iphones, 2 ipads and an Apple Watch on it. I’m going to cancel the connectivity on one of the iPads and use it via Wi-Fi only in any event. The fact that we don’t even have 5G is really troubling.

Raneciansamaiya

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

I have Verizon and I didn't have to change my plan to upgrade. It gave me the option when I pre-ordered to keep the same plan. I would call them ASAP. Especially since you don't have 5G in your area.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree with others! This absolutely does not make any sense whatsoever. I would check online and see if you can get a better deal.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I also have Verizon and they did not make me change my plan when I preordered last Friday. That person didn’t know what they’re talking about.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what others have said. I did not have to update my Verizon plan if I didn’t want to.

I ordered the phone through Apple and when I put in my SIM card from my 11 Pro, the phone activated just fine

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I just walked into the store bought the phone and he offered me a $10 add on for the 5g ultra wide band. I didn’t do it cause there isn’t any 5G UW where I live but he told me there is no need to change from my plan.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you try and call Verizon support? Maybe that rep didn't know what they were talking about.

I did. I don’t think the Verizon people know quite what to say. Verizon Support also told me an upgrade would be needed. I wanted to go with Verizon because the price was lower after trade-in. But I’d have to change my plan. I’m just going to sell my old phone on eBay and but the phone from Apple, and then keep my current plan as suggested. Thanks.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I purchased my 12 Pro Max sim free from Apple, popped in the sim I just got in August, and of course received the text to upgrade my sim. I have the old Get More Plan which has 5G included so I’m not changing my plan. You don’t have to have a 5G plan to buy any 12 model. You have to 5G if you want to use 5G on the phone, otherwise you can just use LTE like I’m doing since 5G isn’t available in my area just yet.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Nearly a two hour call last night, their support is offshore after 8 pm due to CV19.
Got my sim moved over to esim. Instead of texting you a QR code you just read off your digital IEMI to them and they activate it. That part was easy.
Waited over an hour just to get a person but it's done.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Nearly a two hour call last night, their support is offshore after 8 pm due to CV19.
Got my sim moved over to esim. Instead of texting you a QR code you just read off your digital IEMI to them and they activate it. That part was easy.
Waited over an hour just to get a person but it's done.

You didn’t have to scan a QR code at all? In the past I’ve had them email me the code after I’ve given them the digital IMEI because we have to physically activate it through the cellular settings.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I did. I don’t think the Verizon people know quite what to say. Verizon Support also told me an upgrade would be needed. I wanted to go with Verizon because the price was lower after trade-in. But I’d have to change my plan. I’m just going to sell my old phone on eBay and but the phone from Apple, and then keep my current plan as suggested. Thanks.

I think this has more to do with them locking new iPhones to Verizon, than with 5G. Did you try buying from Apple?

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered an iPhone 12 Pro 516gb from Apple. Neither Apple nor the Apple Store have the 516gb phones in stock, so it’s shipping from China and will take a few weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit