Is it true that if you use an eSIM the 5G radio is disabled?

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I've read that if you use E-SIM that neither line will work with 5G, i.e. the 5G radio is disabled.
Is this true?
I have T-Mobile and Verizon and would like to use VZW on the e-sim and TMO on a physical sim card.
From my understanding, if I use VZW OR TMO on a physical SIM it's fine.
I'm fine with "just" LTE on both, but wonder about this and too, if the 5G hardware is disabled will the battery life be better?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: E Sim and 5G

If both lines are on at the same time they are limited to just LTE.

Someone found an internal document from Apple with evidence that the problem would be solved in a future update.

Right now I am using a Verizon sim for my main line and Google Fi for e sim and battery life has been fine for me.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

If both lines are on at the same time they are limited to just LTE.

Someone found an internal document from Apple with evidence that the problem would be solved in a future update.

Right now I am using a Verizon sim for my main line and Google Fi for e sim and battery life has been fine for me.

TBH I'm fine with "just" LTE for both. I've seen some tests where users are getting far better speeds on their 12 pro vs. 11 pro with same carrier and location due to better modem and antenna design in the 12 pro. If that's the case, it's worthwhile for me to upgrade. Hopefully it's the same with the 12 Pro Max.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

TBH I'm fine with "just" LTE for both. I've seen some tests where users are getting far better speeds on their 12 pro vs. 11 pro with same carrier and location due to better modem and antenna design in the 12 pro. If that's the case, it's worthwhile for me to upgrade. Hopefully it's the same with the 12 Pro Max.

I think there is a real advantage to having this year's Qualcomm modem, compared to the Apple modems the last few years. And, if you get some form of 5G (such as the low-band T-Mobile I'm getting) then it is just that much sweeter.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok so an update.
With my 12 Pro Max in hand, Verizon activated on esim. 5G works as it should. I have not been in a mmwave area to try that but I'm sure it's fine.

I put my Tmobile nano sim (not a new one, just what I've been using for the past few years, their 5G works fine on S20 Ultra and Note 20 Ultra so there's that) and it's true, I cannot select 5G on either line when BOTH are active.

HOWEVER, if I turn off either line the line that's active can use (and does) 5G just fine. I'm OK with this as LTE is plenty fast and I would probably only turn off TMO if I was in a city with VZW mmwave (UWB) coverage and wanted to use it.

So it's a compromise, I suppose but I'm OK with it.

If they come out with an update that allows both lines to have 5G at the same time, even better. But it probably will be a battery killer. Even so, as it is, it's no deal breaker. At least I can have two lines on one phone in the USA unlike Samsung. And that's a win to me. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I read an article yesterday (I don’t recall where) that indicated Apple was working on allowing 5G to work when both SIMS are active at the same time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711