Something to consider about Mag Safe

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can indeed see how the heat could cause the circular imprint on a leather case, but I’m not so sure about causing one to appear on the phone itself.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I can indeed see how the heat could cause the circular imprint on a leather case, but I’m not so sure about causing one to appear on the phone itself.
Since it can swivel around over time I can see it showing some wear and tear. Especially on the glossy backed models.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since it can swivel around over time I can see it showing some wear and tear. Especially on the glossy backed models.

Yeah, but how much time will have to pass before the imprint shows up? What about the people who will use the Mag Safe part of the time due to having other traditional chargers? Is it possible? Sure. Is it probable? That’s unknown, in my opinion.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but how much time will have to pass before the imprint shows up? What about the people who will use the Mag Safe part of the time due to having other traditional chargers? Is it possible? Sure. Is it probable? That’s unknown, in my opinion.
Yes, but who really wants to find out. Lol Why risk it when they're alternatives. My post was to just give visibility to the potential issue.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but who really wants to find out. Lol Why risk it when they're alternatives. My post was to just give visibility to the potential issue.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with your post or comments therein. The fact that Apple admits it’s a possibility a reason to give pause, but again, what’s the likelihood of it happening to the masses?

I’m not interested in the mag safe at all and I haven’t used a wireless charger in quite some time. The charging cable that came with my iPhone is sufficient for me. Know what I mean?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Well, it’s definitely food for thought! Since my iPhones will always have a case, I’m not too worried about it. But for those who prefer their iPhones to go commando (sorry if my attempt at humor is offensive), they could always buy an inexpensive case to use while charging.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don’t care about scratching.
I’m gonna get a Mag Safe charger and a USB-C 20W brick as soon as I preorder my iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Gold

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really feeling any of the Mag Safe items. Seems like a money grab to me. I'm pretty sure we already have plenty of charging devices for Apple products.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not really feeling any of the Mag Safe items. Seems like a money grab to me. I'm pretty sure we already have plenty of charging devices for Apple products.

Yes and no.
I already have a charging dock, like the ones you see in Apple Stores displayed.
It’s just that if I wiggle my iPhone a little, it stops charging and when I wiggle more it charges again.
After 4 years that thing has seen tear and wear.
I want to do away with it and use something that doesn’t tear my charging port up.
I don’t even care about the charging speed, as my iPhone will be on the charger during bed time.

So yes; I’m gonna get a mag safe charger for my bed room and one for the living room.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no.
I already have a charging dock, like the ones you see in Apple Stores displayed.
It’s just that if I wiggle my iPhone a little, it stops charging and when I wiggle more it charges again.
After 4 years that thing has seen tear and wear.
I want to do away with it and use something that doesn’t tear my charging port up.
I don’t even care about the charging speed, as my iPhone will be on the charger during bed time.

So yes; I’m gonna get a mag safe charger for my bed room and one for the living room.

You can get a cheap wireless charger to do what you want. I think the one I have, we paid $15 for back in 2018

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You can get a cheap wireless charger to do what you want. I think the one I have, we paid $15 for back in 2018

I bought an accessory that makes your phone stand up on your bed stand. It’s nice to have the wireless charger attached to the back of the phone.
A wireless QI charger wouldn’t fit my needs. And what’s $49 on a $1200 device anyway.
I really love the idea of the MagSafe and was sold immediately.

I used to buy cheap 3rd party accessories, but not anymore. I love the feel and design of original  accessories too much.

Last edited:

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm with you. Menards a while back had some clock/wireless fast chargers for $5.00 each on sale. I picked up 5 of them for myself and family members. They work great and still have plenty of beer and snack money.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Seeing that the backs are glass then the phones themselves will most likely scratch up the metal ring on the MagSafe, at worst. But then again you could be right. We’ll know soon enough.

From the reviews I saw, no metal on the Magsafe charger actually touches the iPhone. Instead, there is a rubber ring on the charger that sits between the phone and the metal of the charger.