Disappointed - Returning Mine to Apple

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I am just over here trying to decide, do I get the iPhone 12 Pro, or get the 12 Pro Max.
From time to time, I think my 11 Pro Max is a 'little' large. Thus, the 12 Pro would suffice. But, when I review images online, it seems a minimal increase.

Decisions, decisions...

LOL . I'm not sure yet. I have about two weeks to decide

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am just over here trying to decide, do I get the iPhone 12 Pro, or get the 12 Pro Max.
From time to time, I think my 11 Pro Max is a 'little' large. Thus, the 12 Pro would suffice. But, when I review images online, it seems a minimal increase.

Decisions, decisions...

Personally I wouldn't go smaller /backwards to a 6.1" screen already having a 6.5" screen. My eyes would get upset...LOL . 12 Pro Max with the 6.7" screen would be my decision if I upgrade. I really like the 6.5" screen. I think that's the perfect size, just get rid of the notch which I thought was going to happen this year.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site

I was thinking of going with the 12 Pro this year ,it seems like a perfect size however with the poor battery reviews I have been hearing and the better cameras on the max I am leaning towards the 12 Pro Max it's only a touch higher than the 11 Max.

Despite having a smaller battery, Apple's tech specs indicate that the iPhone 12 Pro Max has the same battery life as the iPhone 11 Pro Max, with both devices providing up to 20 hours of video playback and up to 80 hours of audio playback.

Now that everyone has their new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro in their hands we're starting to learn more and more about the new hotness. It isn't all good news, though, with a new battery test showing that the outgoing iPhone 11 Pro might be a batter champ when compared with the new releases.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I was thinking of going with the 12 Pro this year ,it seems like a perfect size however with the poor battery reviews I have been hearing and the better cameras on the max I am leaning towards the 12 Pro Max it's only a touch higher than the 11 Max.

Despite having a smaller battery, Apple's tech specs indicate that the iPhone 12 Pro Max has the same battery life as the iPhone 11 Pro Max, with both devices providing up to 20 hours of video playback and up to 80 hours of audio playback.

Now that everyone has their new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro in their hands we're starting to learn more and more about the new hotness. It isn't all good news, though, with a new battery test showing that the outgoing iPhone 11 Pro might be a batter champ when compared with the new releases.

Decisions, decisions...LOL. I personally would rather go up in screen size .2" than down .4", but that's just my eyes talking...LOL

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I just grabbed my 2020 SE in a case, my LG Stylo 4 in a case, and my wife's 12 Pro in a case. To me they all feel pretty much the same. A phone, in a case. As far as battery concerns, it seems pretty much the same as the 11 for my wife. Everyones usage is a bit different.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I found the XS much more difficult to hold on to, than my much loved old 4s and I had a very chunky square case on that.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I found the XS much more difficult to hold on to, than my much loved old 4s and I had a very chunky square case on that.

It was just the opposite for me with the 5s, I found it to be to small and hard to type and see the screen. Needless to say the 6 Plus was a welcoming site for sore eyes (pun intended )

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I, too, love the rounded edges of my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Gold. And I remember not liking the 4S/5S sharp edges.
But after 4 years of using a 7 Plus I’m just gonna soldier through and get the iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Gold.
And if I don’t like the sharp edges again, I won’t be too sad about that. There’s cases in all kinds and shapes and I’m sure I’ll find something that will make holding a 12 Pro Max easier.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
A Month back I ordered an iPhone 12 square edged case for my 11 Pro Max and it felt funny at first but it grew on me.

I know it’s not the same as a naked square edge device but I found it wasn’t uncomfortable.

I would love to purchase the iPhone Mini but I can’t see myself going down in size

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I had an 11 pro max and thought I could not go down in screen size. Some medical things happened and I could not afford the $280 phone bill and I switched to a different carrier for much less but it was a prepaid carrier and the only way I could afford to stay with an iPhone was to get the 7. Battery life sucked on it and I hated the small screen. Budget wise I really should not have, but yesterday I bought a Sim Free 12 and cannot complain about the size of the screen, even after owning the 11 pro max. Had it not been for the medical things (been out of work for 2 months now due to it) I would never have gotten rid of my 11 pro max, it was a great phone. I have high hopes for my 12, enough to spend what I did on a Sim unlocked so I can own it out right and switch carriers if I need to.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 12 Pro in gold 256gb since Friday. I’m feeling a bit mixed about it. I love the color! It’s subtle and gorgeous. In my opinion very classy.
But using it....I just don’t know. And it’s not the squared edges and flat design. I love that part and think it feels great personally.

The problem is how it is working. I have had some issues....
First BIG issue was Friday night. (I had received it at 1:00 that afternoon.) I picked it up and it was hot, not just warm...HOT. I panicked and started looking at what apps were throttling up to see if that was the cause. I didn’t see anything unusual. After I closed out everything I turned the phone off and let it sit for a while. Went back and picked it up and it was cool. So turned it back on and in just a few minutes it was very hot again!

Got my iPad and started searching support forums and found some recommendations from some users who had this problem with their brand new 11 Pros last year. A couple said they had been told by Apple support to connect to iTunes and import their last backup from there (They had done a phone to phone transfer originally like I had) and that should fix the issue.

So... that’s what I did. And after waiting an hour and a half for it to complete, it said to leave my phone connected until it restarted and the phone icon showed up in iTunes again. Well that never happened.......the Apple logo came on and then went off and returned to black screen. I waited for over 30 minutes just in case, even though I knew something was wrong, and it never stopped flashing from logo to black screen, logo to black screen.

Return to support forums....... recommendation was put phone in recovery mode and connect to iTunes again. This time a recovery screen comes up and you are given a choice to Update or Restore. (There was a warning about choosing Restore!)The forum said the choice should be Update and that would preserve your data. So I did..... and after another 20 minutes the same result. No change.

Next contacted Verizon support chat. (It was 11 pm at this point) After explaining the situation they said I had already done what they would recommend, so take it to a Verizon store and get it replaced. So I go to bed and NOT sleep well and get up next day with intention to head to the store. But I thought, why not try the recovery mode again and choose Restore instead of Update. I had nothing to lose at this point.

Put the phone back in recovery mode and connected and chose RESTORE. Warning came up that this would completely wipe the OS and reinstall iOS 14 and I said Nuke It! Lol!

Well what do you know, it only took about 15 minutes and I had a new phone.....back to the welcome screen. I proceeded through set up again, and this time I chose to download from iCloud. It has been okay ever since, and no more heat either.

But I have had a couple of app shut downs and a little stuttering of the screen in one game I play. So I am watching it like a hawk to decide if I still want to take it back or not. And got to admit also thinking maybe just go to the regular 12 instead. Just a thought, going to keep pondering.....

Sorry for the long saga..... but maybe this will help someone who might have a similar issue?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 12 Pro in gold 256gb since Friday. I’m feeling a bit mixed about it. I love the color! It’s subtle and gorgeous. In my opinion very classy.
But using it....I just don’t know. And it’s not the squared edges and flat design. I love that part and think it feels great personally.

The problem is how it is working. I have had some issues....
First BIG issue was Friday night. (I had received it at 1:00 that afternoon.) I picked it up and it was hot, not just warm...HOT. I panicked and started looking at what apps were throttling up to see if that was the cause. I didn’t see anything unusual. After I closed out everything I turned the phone off and let it sit for a while. Went back and picked it up and it was cool. So turned it back on and in just a few minutes it was very hot again!

Got my iPad and started searching support forums and found some recommendations from some users who had this problem with their brand new 11 Pros last year. A couple said they had been told by Apple support to connect to iTunes and import their last backup from there (They had done a phone to phone transfer originally like I had) and that should fix the issue.

So... that’s what I did. And after waiting an hour and a half for it to complete, it said to leave my phone connected until it restarted and the phone icon showed up in iTunes again. Well that never happened.......the Apple logo came on and then went off and returned to black screen. I waited for over 30 minutes just in case, even though I knew something was wrong, and it never stopped flashing from logo to black screen, logo to black screen.

Return to support forums....... recommendation was put phone in recovery mode and connect to iTunes again. This time a recovery screen comes up and you are given a choice to Update or Restore. (There was a warning about choosing Restore!)The forum said the choice should be Update and that would preserve your data. So I did..... and after another 20 minutes the same result. No change.

Next contacted Verizon support chat. (It was 11 pm at this point) After explaining the situation they said I had already done what they would recommend, so take it to a Verizon store and get it replaced. So I go to bed and NOT sleep well and get up next day with intention to head to the store. But I thought, why not try the recovery mode again and choose Restore instead of Update. I had nothing to lose at this point.

Put the phone back in recovery mode and connected and chose RESTORE. Warning came up that this would completely wipe the OS and reinstall iOS 14 and I said Nuke It! Lol!

Well what do you know, it only took about 15 minutes and I had a new phone.....back to the welcome screen. I proceeded through set up again, and this time I chose to download from iCloud. It has been okay ever since, and no more heat either.

But I have had a couple of app shut downs and a little stuttering of the screen in one game I play. So I am watching it like a hawk to decide if I still want to take it back or not. And got to admit also thinking maybe just go to the regular 12 instead. Just a thought, going to keep pondering.....

Sorry for the long saga..... but maybe this will help someone who might have a similar issue?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure someone else will be looking for answers. Good Luck with your new iPhone.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Reading this on my Xr. Thinking about getting the mini but, I’m not sure how it would improve my experience.
My battery is still at 97% and gets me through the day. Why suffer from poor battery life? Running 14 on my Xr and it works fine. I can’t come up with a good reason to “upgrade”.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Reading this on my Xr. Thinking about getting the mini but, I’m not sure how it would improve my experience.
My battery is still at 97% and gets me through the day. Why suffer from poor battery life? Running 14 on my Xr and it works fine. I can’t come up with a good reason to “upgrade”.

I feel ya, about the only thing I can come up with so far as a 'good' reason to "upgrade", is the new design of flat sides and that's suspect where comfortability while using for long periods may be a concern.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I feel ya, about the only thing I can come up with so far as a 'good' reason to "upgrade", is the new design of flat sides and that's suspect where comfortability while using for long periods may be a concern.

Yup, that was one of my initial draws when it was originally leaked. I’m afraid that’s not enough though.