Disappointed - Returning Mine to Apple

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
YMMV, but I picked up my iPhone 12 and Official Apple silicone case to replace my iPhone 11 and I have to say I am very disappointed. The square edges make the phone very uncomfortable to hold and except for the faster 5G speeds (T-Mobile 5G-I got 129 Mbps down vs 35 down on my 11). But other than that and the square edges, it doesn't seem any different than the 11 and as I said, for me, it is MUCH more uncomfortable to hold. Not sure what I will do now. This is going back for sure. If this one is uncomfortable, I am sure the larger 12 Pro Max will be worse, so that is out. I may wait until they put the refurbed 11 Pro Max on sale and move to that. I like the curved edges.

As I said, you may feel different about it and if you like the new shape, congrats on your new purchase. But this one is wiped and back in the box. The shortest time ever with a phone. For the moment, I am glad I didn't sell or trade in my 11.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
YMMV, but I picked up my iPhone 12 and Official Apple silicone case to replace my iPhone 11 and I have to say I am very disappointed. The square edges make the phone very uncomfortable to hold and except for the faster 5G speeds (T-Mobile 5G-I got 129 Mbps down vs 35 down on my 11). But other than that and the square edges, it doesn't seem any different than the 11 and as I said, for me, it is MUCH more uncomfortable to hold. Not sure what I will do now. This is going back for sure. If this one is uncomfortable, I am sure the larger 12 Pro Max will be worse, so that is out. I may wait until they put the refurbed 11 Pro Max on sale and move to that. I like the curved edges.

As I said, you may feel different about it and if you like the new shape, congrats on your new purchase. But this one is wiped and back in the box. The shortest time ever with a phone. For the moment, I am glad I didn't sell or trade in my 11.

That was a good choice as I felt it wasn't much difference too. Did you get to test out the battery as well?

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
That's why you have to see and hold and hold the phone before you buy and yes battery life is very important .

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Haven’t used mine much out of the case yet but I personally love the design and don’t have any complaints. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So after watching all the inboxing videos, the iPhone 12 reminds me of the old Volvo ads:

8965a2a329134735ea2dc2ce6e2cc717.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I’m sorry you’re disappointed. That’s why I have to look at them in person before I buy anything.

With Apple's very convenient return policy, it's not that crucial to look at these devices before buying like it used to be. If I don't like it, return it and get every cent back.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
With Apple's very convenient return policy, it's not that crucial to look at these devices before buying like it used to be. If I don't like it, return it and get every cent back.

Well that is if you buy from Apple. If you buy from your carrier, it’s typically a $50 restocking fee or somewhere in the neighborhood so it can be a costly mistake for some.

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 30, 2019
Visit site

That’s what I’m doing with my iPhone 12 in blue. It’s a super dull blue, not like how it is in photos. Going to return it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well that is if you buy from Apple. If you buy from your carrier, it’s typically a $50 restocking fee or somewhere in the neighborhood so it can be a costly mistake for some.

Thankfully I stopped going through carriers since the iPhone 4s. I learned all they are is a pipe.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I do because for me it’s easier for me. Plus T-Mobile gave an additional $200 bonus if you were a customer 5 years and buying the 12.

Same here. T-Mobile gave me $415 to trade my XR in for this 12 Pro. That was the deciding factor in the upgrade.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I liked the flat edges on my 5s, however it was a small iPhone and the thought of being uncomfortable to hold the flat edges on a much larger iPhone never crossed my mind. Thanks for the information. Sorry it didn't work out for you, however you passed on some valuable information.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I loved the square edges when they were introduced on the iPhone 4 I think it was but that was a much smaller phone. Now I’m wondering how I will feel about the square edge design on the iPhone 12 should I decide to get one

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm having no issue with the square edges on my 12 Pro. It was something I was even worried about, as I've had that issue with phone edges before. I think Apple did a great job -- at least with my 12 Pro -- in "blunting" the edges.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm having no issue with the square edges on my 12 Pro. It was something I was even worried about, as I've had that issue with phone edges before. I think Apple did a great job -- at least with my 12 Pro -- in "blunting" the edges.

That's good to hear, however I'm still curious if it will effect me on the 6.7" screen on the 12 Pro Max and the way I hold my iPhone.
With that being said I'm still unsure if I'm even upgrading this year...LOL

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
That's good to hear, however I'm still curious if it will effect me on the 6.7" screen on the 12 Pro Max and the way I hold my iPhone.
With that being said I'm still unsure if I'm even upgrading this year...LOL

I'm not a fan on my iPad 11 pro with no case. Battery reviews on the 12 are getting a bashing v the 11 series too, reading around.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a fan on my iPad 11 pro with no case. Battery reviews on the 12 are getting a bashing v the 11 series too, reading around.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've been hearing about the iPhone 12 battery issues as well. Maybe the next iOS14.2 will correct these battery life issues.