I purchased an unlocked iPhone 12 from Apple and will be picking it up today at the Apple store near me. My question is how to get it activated and replace an existing phone number on Verizon? Do I have to have a SIM? Apple store says that I need to use a new SIM that supports 5G. The Sim from the iPhone XS does not support 5g and Apple suggests replacing. Or can I go SIM free and use eSIM. Again, I want to make sure I retain my old phone number after all is done. Suggestions?
    10-23-2020 09:40 AM
    Just put your current sim in the new phone for now. If you actually need a new sim for 5G you can get it anytime you’d like.

If you activate the eSim with Verizon and want it working on 5G then they’ll probably have you change your plan.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-23-2020 10:09 AM
    I purchased an unlocked iPhone 12 from Apple and will be picking it up today at the Apple store near me. My question is how to get it activated and replace an existing phone number on Verizon? Do I have to have a SIM? Apple store says that I need to use a new SIM that supports 5G. The Sim from the iPhone XS does not support 5g and Apple suggests replacing. Or can I go SIM free and use eSIM. Again, I want to make sure I retain my old phone number after all is done. Suggestions?
    I just did this today, got a unlocked sim free iPhone from Apple since neither Best Buy or Verizon would sell me a carrier locked iPhone on Verizon, I have a prepaid plan and they said it would not allow them. Anyway, the Apple store offered me a new 5G sim card free. Im sure if your store does not offer it or have them, you can stop at any Verizon store to get one and it wont be an issue.
    10-24-2020 03:00 PM
    Thanks. I got a 5G SIM from from Apple store.
    10-24-2020 08:14 PM