iPhone 12 5G

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I would make a decision based on design, rather than 5G ability. I can't find any practical advantage over 4G, really.

The practical advantage of 5G depends on your carrier (the 5G they use), current LTE, and location. For me on T-Mobile the advantage will be using low band 5G. Stronger signal, better building penetration than current LTE. T-Mobile LTE in my region is fine, cuts out some places and is non existent others, but the entire region I live has T-Mobile’s 600 MHz Low Band 5G already turned on. I can finally have good coverage again like the old Verizon LTE days when they used 700 MHz instead of the 1200 MHz bands. That’s my whole reason for upgrading.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m still using my 4 year old iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Gold.
As I said in another thread, I’ll be updating to the iPhone with the best features and largest screen with 256GB storage.

The other day I dreamed that I had a green iPhone 12 Ultra Pro Max Supreme (whatever Apple decides to call it), so I may get a green one, which will be my non-gold iPhone in 8 years .

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I am disappointed in the 60Hz screen and the hideous notch still remains. I will probably pick up the Note 20 ultra and wait on the '21 iPhone.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am disappointed in the 60Hz screen and the hideous notch still remains. I will probably pick up the Note 20 ultra and wait on the '21 iPhone.

Well if it helps, the iPhones do have 120hz touch sensing. That means it’s smoother than most normal Android 60hz phones .

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Is this the latest marketing ploy that gets people to spend their hard earned money?
Amazing we've been able to use smartphones up to this point.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Well if it helps, the iPhones do have 120hz touch sensing. That means it’s smoother than most normal Android 60hz phones .

"However, say, if the touch refresh rate is 120Hz and the display refresh rate is 60Hz, animations will still be snappier and smoother, and your screen would still appear to be more responsive, but the overall experience won’t match the fluidity of having a 120Hz refresh rate screen"

With that being said,I have a 2020 iPad pro and a One plus 7pro and my iPhone even doesn't come close.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
"However, say, if the touch refresh rate is 120Hz and the display refresh rate is 60Hz, animations will still be snappier and smoother, and your screen would still appear to be more responsive, but the overall experience won’t match the fluidity of having a 120Hz refresh rate screen"

With that being said,I have a 2020 iPad pro and a One plus 7pro and my iPhone even doesn't come close.

Doesn’t come close to what?

120hz is only useful if the app and the OS can take full advantage of it.

Currently not many apps are optimized for 120hz on android, maybe 4 or 5 games if your lucky . It’s pretty useless at the moment.

Oh and a dropped frame rate here or there on 120 hz is quite jarring, you really notice it compared to 60hz. Android really should do something about that, maybe with android 11 or 12 or maybe not.

Edit: isn’t the one 7 plus 90hz. , never mind.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have tested the different refresh rates on two new note devices and I personally can't tell the difference. The higher rate is a battery drainer and believe most would like longer battery life then the higher rate. I had the OnePlus 8 for a few days and by far it was the fastest device I have ever used super fast and snappy.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have tested the different refresh rates on two new note devices and I personally can't tell the difference. The higher rate is a battery drainer and believe most would like longer battery life then the higher rate. I had the OnePlus 8 for a few days and by far it was the fastest device I have ever used super fast and snappy.

You’re not supposed to tell the difference by comparing them in a short instance.
It’s like the refresh rates of a TV, the more you look at one with a higher refresh rate, the better it is for your eyes.
They won’t get tired as much as with TVs with a lower refresh rate.
This translates itself to the smartphones too.

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
I have been looking forward to the iPhone 12 mini as an upgrade to my original SE. I want the larger wall to wall screen in a reasonable size body. The square edge is also a bonus. What I don't like is face recognition, the large notch, and the tiny battery.
So, after waiting patiently my interest is starting to drift to the Samsung s10e, which is a little larger, but has a 5.8" screen with just a tiny front camera port. It also has a fingerprint detector and a much larger battery.
For me, I think I can excuse all the compromises with the iP 12 except battery life. If the battery life of the iP 12 is shorter than the s10e I think I'll definitely go with the cheaper s10e. This is a really crazy thing to skimp on, IMO.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I have been looking forward to the iPhone 12 mini as an upgrade to my original SE. I want the larger wall to wall screen in a reasonable size body. The square edge is also a bonus. What I don't like is face recognition, the large notch, and the tiny battery.
So, after waiting patiently my interest is starting to drift to the Samsung s10e, which is a little larger, but has a 5.8" screen with just a tiny front camera port. It also has a fingerprint detector and a much larger battery.
For me, I think I can excuse all the compromises with the iP 12 except battery life. If the battery life of the iP 12 is shorter than the s10e I think I'll definitely go with the cheaper s10e. This is a really crazy thing to skimp on, IMO.

I can’t wait for the announcement next week!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

How much shorter would battery life need to be for you to jump to a Samsung? Historically, Apple have had smaller batteries but better battery life than many comparable Android phones.

I think they're are so many other reasons why I personally would stick with an apple device over an android one. The battery would have to be considerably worse for me to jump ship I think.

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
I will wait for the introduction of the 12 and some reviews. I do like its small footprint compared to the new larger SE (a phone I really can't make any sense of). The projected size of the mini seems perfect to me, but giving away hard fought screen space to features that aren't important to me is galling. As far as how much battery life I am willing to sacrifice? ... not much. We'll see as the numbers start rolling in. I like Apple. I've had iPhones for about 7 years. But I will buy the phone that best fit my needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal