Soon to be new iPhone owner

SteelSteve

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
So I made the jump, am leaving Android . Expecting my Red 128GB version in the next few days. Any recommended settings tips / tricks I should know about?

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi Steelsteve! Welcome to the Forum. You will find that there is an inbuilt Tips App on your new phone - well worth delving into, with periodic updates. One thing not to forget though - that is your Apple ID password!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! It's great to have you here. @Mars20 is right... don't forget your AppleID and password. I recommend setting up security questions and keeping the answers in a safe place. Two-factor authentication is also a great idea. As for tips and tricks, recommended apps, etc, there are tons of posts here that you will definitely find helpful. And, when in doubt, please post a question. We're always happy to help.

Another thing that would be great for you is the "Today at Apple" program. If you have an Apple Store nearby, check out the "Today At Apple" program. They are a series of workshops and training sessions about a myriad of topics, which include an introduction to the iPhone. They are free to anyone with an Apple ID, and you can find a schedule of classes at your store on Apple's website.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Suh-weeetness!!!!!! Welcome to the dark side.

As someone who did that same thing a few years back, one thing to keep in mind. Use the Gmail app of you want push notifications from Gmail. All the iOS mail app can do is a 15 minute fetch. Or create an iCloud address and forward your Gmail to iCloud.

If you haven't already, create your Apple ID here:
https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin
and click on "Create Your Apple ID" at the top.

You can also create your Apple ID when you are setting up your new device, but this way you can get head of that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! For setup, I don't really have anything to add, apps are meant to run all the time on iOS so you only need to close them if they are misbehaving.

azgoth444

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
So I made the jump, am leaving Android . Expecting my Red 128GB version in the next few days. Any recommended settings tips / tricks I should know about?

Hooray and welcome. The folks here are great. I switched as well recently too and its been a great experience so far. Enjoy your new iPhone

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! you will find your new iPhone very easy to set up , if you have any questions after you get it up and running there is a lot of knowledge on the forums here just ask .

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I made the switch over in 2018 after being an exclusive Android fanboy and love it. There is definitely some complaints like not being able to set default apps but you get use to it.
I have an extremely hard time transferring my info from my Android to my iPhone. The transfer app would not work.
As someone above said create your Apple ID then I would download my contacts from your google account into a vCard and transfer them to your Apple ID.

SteelSteve

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. How do you find the display on the 11? Coming from an Android phone with a higher Rez display I'm a little worried the lower Rez screen on the iPhone may be noticable, but I'm not paying Max prices.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 11 screen is fine. I personally think it’s been overblown. If you’re standing there comparing it to a Pro or Pro Max you might be able to see a difference. But in normal day to day stuff the LCD is very good.

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I’m probably the minority that would love for Apple to release a Pro phone with a UHD LCD screen. They seem to be easier on my eyes and dark mode/theme really bothers my eyes so that’s wasted on me.

SteelSteve

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Well, phone arrived yesterday and I’m still configuring to my liking. Right now my biggest adjustment is no finger print sensor or back button. Didn’t realize I’d missed those 2 things as much as I seem to be at the moment. Still trying to figure out how to use songs as ringtones. I tried to follow instructions on this site but my iTunes doesn’t give me the options it says to look for so more research is needed there

SteelSteve

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
So things I've learned so far in my journey.
1.) Delete the maps application that comes with the phone and install Google Maps - This allows me to configure turn by turn directions to play from the phones speakers since my car stereo does not support Apple Play or Apple Car or what ever its called.

Things I'm still researching.
1.) Screen seems to adjust brightness even though I have automatic turned off in Display settings. I'm guessing there has to be another setting I haven't found yet
2.) How to make my texts play over blue tooth when connected to my Uconnect system in the car. Originally I came from a Microsoft phone which would read and allow me to respond to all texts, then moved to Android again and was able to use the Uconnect internal commands to at least read new texts and respond with canned answers. Now with the iPhone it tells me this isn't supported. Is there an app or setting which enables this?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234