I got the iPhone 11 Pro Max on launch day and my wife got the regular 11 Pro. I think I’ve decided I like the smaller version better and am looking to swap my Max for the regular 11 Pro. I bought the phone from Apple using the Citizen’s Bank financing.

Since I’m outside the 14 day return window I’m assuming that’s not an option.

I think if I pay off the current Apple loan I then own the phone outright AND I can start a new contract with AT&T for the regular 11 Pro, correct?

Then I would sell the Pro Max on eBay or something to recoup a good portion of the original cost and then I’d be left with just the monthly payment on the new 11 Pro.

Am I thinking about that right or is there a better way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks!
    12-30-2019 06:51 PM
    That’s going to be your best option. There’s no way of getting rid of your Max (and the associated monthly payments) without paying the contract off in full. From there you’re free to do whatever you want with it (i.e. sell it online). You should be able to recoup a very large part of your costs as long as it’s pristine condition.
    aximtreo and bakron1 like this.
    12-30-2019 07:31 PM
    If you’ve concluded that the iPhone 11 is more suitable for you than the iPhone 11 Pro Max then indeed go for it. With that being said, your plan of how to go about getting rid of your iPhone 11 Pro Max is pretty spot-on, in my opinion.
    Rob Phillips and bakron1 like this.
    12-30-2019 07:52 PM
    I would try and talk to Apple. They once agreed taking back a product that I did not want, and sold me another one instead, even though I was outside the 14 days (not much, ~10 days if I remember correctly).
    Your financing might be a problem though.
    12-31-2019 05:48 AM
    I would try and talk to Apple. They once agreed taking back a product that I did not want, and sold me another one instead, even though I was outside the 14 days (not much, ~10 days if I remember correctly).
    Your financing might be a problem though.
    The financing, plus the fact that it’s been over three months, are both going to be a problem.
    scruffypig likes this.
    12-31-2019 05:12 PM
    The financing, plus the fact that it’s been over three months, are both going to be a problem.
    Financing won’t be the issue because it’s not with Apple or AT&T, it’s their private bank. Neither company has a hand in this, unless it’s some kind of collab through work or something.
    01-02-2020 06:58 PM
    Financing won’t be the issue because it’s not with Apple or AT&T, it’s their private bank. Neither company has a hand in this, unless it’s some kind of collab through work or something.
    Yeah but if he’s trying to sell it he’s going to want to pay off the associated loan. Otherwise he’s paying on a phone he doesn’t own anymore.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    01-02-2020 07:04 PM
    Yeah but if he’s trying to sell it he’s going to want to pay off the associated loan. Otherwise he’s paying on a phone he doesn’t own anymore.
    Oh absolutely!!
    01-03-2020 11:31 AM
    If it’s on the AT&T Next (or whatever it’s called now) program, you only have to pay through the “trade in” amount. If you’re 3 months in, and you can trade in at 12, you only have to pay 9 months to get a new phone. If you feel you’d recoup more than that through eBay, go that way. I personally just pay through the trade in amount as the hassle isn’t worth it for me.
    01-03-2020 11:38 AM
    Just a quick update:

I paid off the existing Apple loan with Citizens Bank. Now I own the phone outright. AT&T was not involved with the phone itself as I bought it straight from Apple.

On New Year’s Day I ordered the iPhone 11 Pro I wanted via Apple’s website and enrolled again in the Apple Upgrade Program, so I now have a new loan with Citizens Bank. Picked the new phone up at The Apple Store later that same day.

Last night I wiped the memory on my “old” iPhone 11 Pro Max and put it up on eBay. Bidding ends on Sunday and it’s already at about $1,000.

Once the auction is over I’ll use the proceeds to pay off the credit card that I used to pay off the initial Citizens Bank loan, so the net result will be almost like I never had the Max at all now have the regular Pro.
    01-03-2020 02:18 PM
    Just a quick update:

I paid off the existing Apple loan with Citizens Bank. Now I own the phone outright. AT&T was not involved with the phone itself as I bought it straight from Apple.

On New Year’s Day I ordered the iPhone 11 Pro I wanted via Apple’s website and enrolled again in the Apple Upgrade Program, so I now have a new loan with Citizens Bank. Picked the new phone up at The Apple Store later that same day.

Last night I wiped the memory on my “old” iPhone 11 Pro Max and put it up on eBay. Bidding ends on Sunday and it’s already at about $1,000.

Once the auction is over I’ll use the proceeds to pay off the credit card that I used to pay off the initial Citizens Bank loan, so the net result will be almost like I never had the Max at all now have the regular Pro.
    Sounds like you have a good plan of action. Enjoy your new 11 Pro.
    01-05-2020 08:05 AM
    I got the iPhone 11 Pro Max on launch day and my wife got the regular 11 Pro. I think I’ve decided I like the smaller version better and am looking to swap my Max for the regular 11 Pro. I bought the phone from Apple using the Citizen’s Bank financing.

Since I’m outside the 14 day return window I’m assuming that’s not an option.

I think if I pay off the current Apple loan I then own the phone outright AND I can start a new contract with AT&T for the regular 11 Pro, correct?

Then I would sell the Pro Max on eBay or something to recoup a good portion of the original cost and then I’d be left with just the monthly payment on the new 11 Pro.

Am I thinking about that right or is there a better way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks!
    is the citizens bank loan through at&t or apple? if its through apple your contract is with them not at&t but yes you will want to pay off the phone first
    02-19-2020 08:27 AM
    Just a quick update:

didnt see this post before I posted awesome! hope you enjoy your 11 pro
    02-19-2020 08:29 AM