Wireless Charging stops working

Zodler

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
I have the iPhone 11 Pro since release and this has happened to me twice. Never with iPhone 8 or X or Xs.

iPhone 11 Pro on the wireless charging stand and it suddenly stops charging. When I say not charging, means the bar is not green anymore, like somebody plugged out the charger from the wall. No more power goes into iPhone.

When this happened, I tested it with 3 different "official" wireless chargers bought from apple store. So it's not the charger, it's the phone.

When I connect it with cable it starts to charge (green bar) but then I disconnect and put it on a wireless charger and it does not start charging (no green bar). Like it has no power.

The only thing that makes it charge again wireless is to restart the phone. So since release I had to restart my phone twice. Anyone has similar problem with wireless charging? I'm going to monitor and if it happens a third time I will report back.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wireless Charging stopps working

I have two wireless chargers - one at my desk at work and the other I gave to my son to charge his iPhone. I haven’t used either with my iPhone in quite some time. I simply prefer to plug it in with a USB cable and charging block.

Anyway, I hope those who may have experienced something similar to what you’ve described will reply soon.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it could be part of the new interrupted charging setup not functioning correctly. Back to” try a hard reset” again!

Zodler

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
But when the wireless charging stopped working, the wired charging did still work.

At that moment I also waited several hours for the iPhone to drain and become cool, I put it on a wireless charger and it still didn't start to charge.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have not seen this, and the only time I used a cable to charge my new phone was while the data was transferring over from my old phone. My 11 Pro (although it's a Max) has been charging wirelessly ever since. Now I will lake up during the night and sometimes see the charging LED on my charger off and sometimes I see it on, but the phone always has 100% then I get up. I assume I'm seeing the optimized charging at work.

Zodler

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
The article is not very clear. First it seems you should get a notification like this that I never got.

ios13-iphone-xs-lock-screen-optimized-battery-charging-notification.jpg

Second, the article doesn't specifically say that it will cut off the power (no green battery icon).

What I understand from the article is that the green icon and power stay connected but it charges slower.

I would appreciate it if there is a better more detailed article on what is supposed to happen.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They should make it clearer as to to how the 11 Pro (and other models) will behave with the optimized charging feature turned on. If it’ll stop charging your phone wirelessly then the same should hold true for a wired charge. I have yet to see a notification informing me that my 11 will finish charging at a certain time

italics5p

Oct 17, 2019
Visit site
This is a hardware issue unrelated to optimized charging. I had the same problem which still occurred after turning off optimized charging. I would have to reset my phone 1-2 times a day for wireless charging to work (wired would always work). I exchanged it at an Apple store and my new unit (20 days plus) has not exhibited the issue.

Zodler

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
This happened to me today for the third time. Yes it has nothing to do with optimized charging.

italics5p, do you mean I should change my phone?

Zodler

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
I went to the apple store and they did a diagnostics and said everything looks fine.

Asked how I set it up and I said I do it from a backup from iTunes. They told me to do
a hard reset with iTunes and set it up as a new iPhone and see what happens.

It is going to be a pain but it will be good to finally do a clean install. I never did it and used
the same backup since iPhone 4S.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I went to the apple store and they did a diagnostics and said everything looks fine.

Asked how I set it up and I said I do it from a backup from iTunes. They told me to do
a hard reset with iTunes and set it up as a new iPhone and see what happens.

It is going to be a pain but it will be good to finally do a clean install. I never did it and used
the same backup since iPhone 4S.

Thanks for the update! Please let us know how that works for you! It sounds like that is the best thing for you to do!

Zodler

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
Today again my iPhone 11 Pro stopped charging wirelessly.

I did what the apple store recommended. Did a hard reset and entered recovery mode with volume up down side button. Connected to iTunes and set it up as new iPhone. No restore.

But it again happened. Now I can say it roughly happens every 2-3 weeks. Stops charging wirelessly.

Ubrmnch

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been facing the same issue with my 11pro. I use a UniSync carholder with wireless charging. It has worked flawless with my iPhone X since I bought it, but with the 11 pro it shuts down the charging after a couple of seconds. Not facing any problems with the wireless charger I use at home. I've sent an e-mail to the producers of the UniSync charger and this was their reply:
"Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

Apple unfortunately introduced wireless charging problems for some iPhone models with iOS 13.1 update.

We are shortly receiving upgraded charging units, which we can supply to afflicted customers as replacement.

You will be put on the list of customers to be contacted as soon as we receive them. Estimated is first half of December."

So now I'm waiting for their respons and hopefully a new charger that my phone can work with.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro