Restore to factory and setup as new

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
This feeling is weird.

I was having an issue with YouTube, on my iPad Pro, with a Smart Keyboard Folio.
To solve the issue, I had to reset the iPad to factory. And, I even set it up as new; thus installing all the apps again, and such.

After doing this, I felt the iPad had a 'new feel' to it. Now I am seriously considering resetting my iPhone to factory and setting up as new.

Alas, doing that with the iPhone, will probably take quite some time.
Hmm, decisions, decisions...

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I always set up new devices as "new" and don't restore from backup. This way I can weed out all the apps I never use. :)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Actually no. However, even when I first purchased it, I did a restore from backup. Hence, I was thinking about a 'fresh start'...

The last time I had a “fresh start” was the orignal iPhone , been restoring from a back up ever since the iPhone 3g.

iOS doesn’t really doesn’t work that way, if your phone is slowing down, 9 times out of 10 it’s due to not enough storage space or a poorly coded app.

Talking about poorly coded apps, the only time I saw a noticeable increase in performance and battery life was when I removed all google apps and services from my iPhone, it has been consistently snappy ever since.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The last time I had a “fresh start” was the orignal iPhone , been restoring from a back up ever since the iPhone 3g.

iOS doesn’t really doesn’t work that way, if your phone is slowing down, 9 times out of 10 it’s due to not enough storage space or a poorly coded app.

Talking about poorly coded apps, the only time I saw a noticeable increase in performance and battery life was when I removed all google apps and services from my iPhone, it has been consistently snappy ever since.

If your iPhone is having issues that you think could be resolved by a reset why would you restore from a backup and reintroduce those issues.

A clean slate is always better. iPhone does work that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This feeling is weird.

I was having an issue with YouTube, on my iPad Pro, with a Smart Keyboard Folio.
To solve the issue, I had to reset the iPad to factory. And, I even set it up as new; thus installing all the apps again, and such.

After doing this, I felt the iPad had a 'new feel' to it. Now I am seriously considering resetting my iPhone to factory and setting up as new.

Alas, doing that with the iPhone, will probably take quite some time.
Hmm, decisions, decisions...

I’m a huge fan of restoring as new and have promoted it for years in the IMore Forums. Sure it can be an inconvenience, but the benefits are worth the time, in my opinion and experience. With that being said, if you haven’t done your iPhone yet, go for it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If your iPhone is having issues that you think could be resolved by a reset why would you restore from a backup and reintroduce those issues.

A clean slate is always better. iPhone does work that.

Apps are sandboxed in iOS, deleting a poorly coded app and it’s data always does the trick.

I have never factory restored an iPhone because frankly you don’t have to on iOS. Personally I have never had any issues that deleting a poorly coded app and its data did not resolve, or by removing all google apps and services from my device. Google apps and services transmits quite a bit of idle data that may cause the iPhone to slow down or become generally unresponsive.

When you restore from a backup, iOS no longer downloads the app from a repository on iTunes, it now downloads the app directly from the App Store, and any data associated with the app is stored in iCloud.

If you have the itch to factory restore an iPhone when it presents absolutely no issues, like the op stated, and restore everything manually, Have at it.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Apps are sandboxed in iOS, deleting a poorly coded app and it’s data always does the trick.

I have never factory restored an iPhone because frankly you don’t have to on iOS. Personally I have never had any issues that deleting a poorly coded app and its data did not resolve, or by removing all google apps and services from my device. Google apps and services transmits quite a bit of idle data that may cause the iPhone to slow down or become generally unresponsive.

When you restore from a backup, iOS no longer downloads the app from a repository on iTunes, it now downloads the app directly from the App Store, and any data associated with the app is stored in iCloud.

If you have the itch to factory restore an iPhone when it presents absolutely no issues, like the op stated, and restore everything manually, Have at it.

You seem overly confident that you are right about something that you also say you have never actually done.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You seem overly confident that you are right about something that you also say you have never actually done.

I said I have never restored an iPhone to factory settings and have always restored from a back up, however I always have multiple iPhones running concurrently. 2 or 3 out of 7 are being used with a different Apple ID from other countries, they are always set up as new.

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I’m a fan of setting up as new for a new device or OS version, and I use mostly stock apps also, so it’s easier for me to set up as new then someone who use many apps. I firmly believe this is why I don’t have as many issues that others have. Just my personal experience.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m a fan of setting up as new for a new device or OS version, and I use mostly stock apps also, so it’s easier for me to set up as new then someone who use many apps. I firmly believe this is why I don’t have as many issues that others have. Just my personal experience.

Yep, I feel the exact same way...:)

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
After a few days, my iPad Pro is now fully back up and running, with all my apps and settings.

It took FOREVER! And, even this morning, my Missus asked me, “What’s the weather today...?” Then, I realized that I did not install the app, Fahrenheit. LOL

All that to say, for now, not restoring my iPhone.

Also, side story:
I reconnected with my brother a few months back (long story), and we were discussing a few things, and I need to verify a few dates. That data was in my iMessages. But, like an *****, a few weeks ago, I deleted all my iMessages. Thus, I said I would not do that again. So, if I reset my iPhone to factory, and setup as new, I would lose all the iMessages that I have started to save.

So, there’s that...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is going to sound nuts but I factory reset my phone once a month. Always makes me feel like the phone runs better.

I used to do the same thing. I’m just too busy to do it that often these days so I’ve limited it to major iOS updates (in particular, major Dev Beta updates) and, of course, when I feel like it...;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW