Totally Ticked at Apple

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I posted about three ago in another thread that after over ten years I had left Android and moved to Apple with an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I made it clear that my MAIN overriding reason for the switch was reading about the new privacy choices to be made available in IOS 14.

I downloaded the 14 beta to verify it was in there and was happy with my switch and now today I find out that Apple has gone back on its promises for the new privacy changes, capitulated to corporate interests at the expense and detriment of its users and is pulling the new privacy options until at least next year.

They didn’t do this because of technical issues but strictly because advertisers were screaming. Well, this is one brand new Apple owner who is totally ticked off at Apple.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I posted about three ago in another thread that after over ten years I had left Android and moved to Apple with an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I made it clear that my MAIN overriding reason for the switch was reading about the new privacy choices to be made available in IOS 14.

I downloaded the 14 beta to verify it was in there and was happy with my switch and now today I find out that Apple has gone back on its promises for the new privacy changes, capitulated to corporate interests at the expense and detriment of its users and is pulling the new privacy options until at least next year.

They didn’t do this because of technical issues but strictly because advertisers were screaming. Well, this is one brand new Apple owner who is totally ticked off at Apple.

I remember you saying that! And I completely get why you’re ticked off with Apple. Admittedly when I read the headline earlier today I was disappointed as well. So I’m sure that this is just a move to offer an olive branch of sorts to the disgruntled developers.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

I thought it was still gonna be there just possibly done a different way or through a different setting

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was still gonna be there just possibly done a different way or through a different setting

I get your frustration but it’s wise to remember this is a delay of execution and not amnesty. Those advertisers are gonna feel the death blow from Apple sooner or later.
I do remember Apple has always been in the frontline to make it difficult for advertisers.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I get your frustration but it’s wise to remember this is a delay of execution and not amnesty. Those advertisers are gonna feel the death blow from Apple sooner or later.
I do remember Apple has always been in the frontline to make it difficult for advertisers.

Boom. This.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I know where the op is coming from.

Apple shouldn’t have capitulated at all.

iOS with all its privacy features is still far ahead of android. Google and Facebook are going to hate the new year.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Boom. This.

Boom nothing!!

Apple made loud specific promises about IOS 14, and removing IDFA’s was a big one and they made a lot of noise about it. For this one reason I spent $1250, plus tax to switch to an 11 Pro Max from Android from an almost new Samsung S20 plus (I bought it new in April).

And now, Apple capitulates to advertisers (not developers). So exactly what does later mean? Is it next month? Six months? A year from now? I guess it means whatever they want it to mean.

I’m no fanboy for Sammy, and I’m not one for Apple either. I will speak mind about either one or both of them when they deserve it. And, right now Apple REALLY deserves it.

I will say that overall I’m happy with the pro max but this deal from Apple just put them right back on an even playing with Android as far as my priorities are concerned.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You can disable the IDFA right now in iOS 10 and beyond you just have to do it manually:
Settings -> privacy -> advertising -> Limit Ad Tracking (toggle on)

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
You can disable the IDFA right now in iOS 10 and beyond you just have to do it manually:
Settings -> privacy -> advertising -> Limit Ad Tracking (toggle on)

Thanks for the info but that only limits their cross tracking IF they choose to limit it. It does not absolutely stop the IDFA’s like Tim Cook had promised for IOS 14.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Boom nothing!!

Apple made loud specific promises about IOS 14, and removing IDFA’s was a big one and they made a lot of noise about it. For this one reason I spent $1250, plus tax to switch to an 11 Pro Max from Android from an almost new Samsung S20 plus (I bought it new in April).

And now, Apple capitulates to advertisers (not developers). So exactly what does later mean? Is it next month? Six months? A year from now? I guess it means whatever they want it to mean.

I’m no fanboy for Sammy, and I’m not one for Apple either. I will speak mind about either one or both of them when they deserve it. And, right now Apple REALLY deserves it.

I will say that overall I’m happy with the pro max but this deal from Apple just put them right back on an even playing with Android as far as my priorities are concerned.

You think android is on equal footing with Apple on privacy.

Googles business isn’t android its ads, if you can read financial statements I suggest you look at Apple and googles. It’s pretty damning.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
You think android is on equal footing with Apple on privacy.

Googles business isn’t android its ads, if you can read financial statements I suggest you look at Apple and googles. It’s pretty damning.

I know exactly what Androids business model is and have for years, that why I’m now with Apple. The fact that Android’s model is using an open source OS to push advertising revenue while Apple up to a few years ago was mainly a hardware company and is fast moving to a services (still supplying hardware) oriented business.

So does that excuse bald faces lies to Apple customers? Don’t think so. Apple’s first priority is obviously to its advertisers and retail customers come on somewhere down below on the priority pipeline. There is no way that Apple comes out as the good guy here.

If you base your judgement using Google as a benchmark that certainly doesn’t set a very high bar to rise above.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what Androids business model is and have for years, that why I’m now with Apple. The fact that Android’s model is using an open source OS to push advertising revenue while Apple up to a few years ago was mainly a hardware company and is fast moving to a services (still supplying hardware) oriented business.

So does that excuse bald faces lies to Apple customers? Don’t think so. Apple’s first priority is obviously to its advertisers and retail customers come on somewhere down below on the priority pipeline. There is no way that Apple comes out as the good guy here.

If you base your judgement using Google as a benchmark that certainly doesn’t set a very high bar to rise above.

If you know so much, then how can you claim android and google are equal in privacy because of one feature being delayed until the new year, when the reality is that Apple and iOS even without iOS 14 is far ahead of google and especially android in privacy.

I’m upset about the delay as well, but killing the entire crosstracking app industry, is going to take some time. Everything got delayed this year new iPhones, new Apple watches, new iPads, new MacBooks, new AirPods, etc etc.

Your new to iOS, but every year a feature or two gets delayed. It happens. No one freaks out about it, well until now . Apple even delays feature on new iPhones till the second update around October November.

I don’t use google, I can afford not to.

I never once heard an android or Samsung user complain about the broken promises that were made to them and their were plenty. Like the time Samsung promised 4K @ 60 FPS for their old flagships never happened. how about releasing a defective camera system on a 1600 dollar phone, only to promise it will be fixed in a software update. It never was.

This is why your claims are simply inaccurate, it’s quite ridiculous really, approaching flat earther territory.
ccc0c4309a889df1f344a4bc6663ea53.jpg

ec0ac32862a846823816b96cbf489972.jpg

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info but that only limits their cross tracking IF they choose to limit it. It does not absolutely stop the IDFA’s like Tim Cook had promised for IOS 14.

Well, that’s why it’s called “beta”. Until the final release, Apple can do whatever they want to an iOS version, which means they can add or remove anything. Don’t like it? Don’t use it.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
First off I never said that Apple and Google were the same in terms of the amount of data that is sent from their respective devices. If you actually read what I said I said that they were about even in terms of my priorities in smartphone needs and requirements. That’s a big difference.

The things for which I use a phone and for which others may use their phones can be quite different and those differences may dramatically alter our perceptions.

I suppose I should qualify some differences since I lived within the Samsung ecosystem which is its own iteration of Android. One of my main priorities n a phone is the manipulation and storage and playback of music. With my old Samsung phones that was simple, just moving folders between phone and computer where my music is stored. On My iPhone it is having to use this dumpster fire of a utility called iTunes. I’ve made my peace with iTunes and will live with it in order to stay with the iPhone and its ecosystem. I’ve made that decision because of Androids complete intrusion into my privacy. But because I have made that change doesn’t mean that I automatically exempt Apple from criticism.

As for what a beta system is, I know pretty well. I had been involved with running beta software as a profession starting some decades back and we did beta work for Microsoft and others. This wasn’t removed for any technical reason or reasons. It was removed because the advertising world that wants you personal data, right down to where you are at any time during your day was pissed that they were not going to be able to track you every move. Apple caved, pure and simple.

That doesn’t mean that Google is any better, Google is a hot mess of lies and personal intrusions to anyone using a device running their OS and that is why I’m now with Apple. That doesn’t make Apple perfect, just better.

Guess I’ve ruffled some feathers around here. I really didn’t intend to do that, but I do tend to have strong opinions. The bottom line is that I’ve made the decision to move to Apple from Android but that doesn’t mean that I’ve dumped my opinions and observations at the doorstep

Bottom, bottom line is that I’ve made that move and overall am happy with it but it has had some minor and major bumps along the way.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Unless the IDFA thing comes until iOS 15, then no “promises” have been broken.

Things get delayed with Apple all the time. Ask Airplay 2 or Messages in iCloud.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73