New here - New to iPhone

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I’ve been a member over at Android Central for 11 years having had every Samsung flagship phone starting with the Fascinate through every single Galaxy S model and a couple of the Note series phones.

I’m tired of Google (and Samsung) being up in my face with hauling in all of my data and selling my data and pushing ads in my face every two seconds. So, here I am, bought myself an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

A couple of things right off, I’m surprised and disappointed with these forums. The Sammy forums on the sister android site are active but these forums seem a lot less active. I’ve been lurking here for the last week (since I got this iPhone) and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of activity.

Since IOS is something completely new to me I was hoping for forums where I could ask a lot of questions and maybe get some help and/or answers as I try to get to a comfort level with using a new OS.

Anyway, here I am and I do recognize a couple of names in here that I’ve seen over a n the Samsung forums.

My last phone was a Samsung S20+ which I haven’t sold yet (just I case).

So far I’m really liking this 11pro max, the one critical issue I’m having is with iTunes. iTunes is a dumpster fire and I have a massive music collection which I manually managed with android but iTunes is miserable and the one issue that might break this new relationship with IOS.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I agree with you, and would also want this forum to be more active. Maybe there is less to talk about than in the Android world (in a positive and negative sense)?

On iTunes: yes, it needs getting used to. If you have to use the Windows version, it's even more 'unusual' to operate (let's put it that way).
What is your problem? Are you fed up with having to work with a Computer?
If you do't mind spending ~$25,- a year, there is something called 'iTunes match', which is, for reasons I don't fully understand, quite well hidden (not really advertised) in the Apple world. It syncs your entire music library with the Apple cloud. You can then delete your local copies (providing you have a backup, of course), and very easily sync only those songs/albums with your Apple device(s) that you want to listen to. Of course you can also stream your music from there, if wanted, no download needed.
By that you can almost completely avoid having to use a computer, once you made all your music known to the iCloud. You can purchase new music on the iPhone, or if it comes from other sources, then this might be the only time you might have to go back to your computer once, to import it into your library (unless somebody knows a different computer-free trick that I'm not aware of).

This works very conveniently. I am managing a few thousand albums this way, and not only is this convenient, I'm also saving a lot of local storage (I currently get along well with a 512GB Mac, without that, I would have to have at least a 1TB version). The $25,- a year are well spent for me. My entire (former) collection of CDs and digital music went into this service.

(P.S. yes I suspect there is a comparable service in the Google world, and probably even free - but like you said, the price you pay is getting flooded by ads)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’ve been a member over at Android Central for 11 years having had every Samsung flagship phone starting with the Fascinate through every single Galaxy S model and a couple of the Note series phones.

I’m tired of Google (and Samsung) being up in my face with hauling in all of my data and selling my data and pushing ads in my face every two seconds. So, here I am, bought myself an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

A couple of things right off, I’m surprised and disappointed with these forums. The Sammy forums on the sister android site are active but these forums seem a lot less active. I’ve been lurking here for the last week (since I got this iPhone) and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of activity.

Since IOS is something completely new to me I was hoping for forums where I could ask a lot of questions and maybe get some help and/or answers as I try to get to a comfort level with using a new OS.

Anyway, here I am and I do recognize a couple of names in here that I’ve seen over a n the Samsung forums.

So far I’m really liking this 11pro max, the one critical issue I’m having is with iTunes. iTunes is a dumpster fire and I have a massive music collection which I manually managed with android but iTunes is miserable and the one issue that might break this new relationship with IOS.

Hello and welcome to iMore! It’s great to have you here!

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

welcome to the Apple side. I myself have switched multiple times but always end up with apple the longest. I love new flashy tech but Apple problem has the best software and ecosystem. The way my apple watch, iphone, ipad, macbook and airpods all sync together and work without a hiccup is great..... Which probably leads to a less active forum. Whenever a new iphone drops the forum pages are hot for a few months then it simmers out. We just don't have multiple threads of battery life vs screen time questions, or threads that really ask the samething over and over bc honestly Apple doesn't change the software to drastically between new phones.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I guess I’ve decided that I will deal with the music issue on IOS. Up until today there was still some question as to whether or not I was going to keep this pro max, but an article I read today about some new privacy settings coming in IOS 14 are enough to seal this deal. I will work with various solutions and arrive at one that will work.

I can understand somewhat that IOS may be easier to work. When I first thought about switching to IOS I bought an iPhone SE just to try out the new OS. But I realized quickly that the tiny and lower resolution screen were not ok for me, even for testing purposes so I immediately went for this pro max.
My point is that when I had to move from the SE to this phone I learned that all I had to do was connect the two phones and have the one populate the new one. I was stunned by how complete and fast the process was. Samsung has Smart Switch but that process is nowhere near as complete and simple as this one.

I may be a bit of a pain for awhile in these forums as I may have a lot of questions.

BTW, I have a Sammy Watch Active 2 which I was very concerned about it functioning with the pro max but having downloaded the Samsung Wearables app from the store it is functioning really well.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I guess I’ve decided that I will deal with the music issue on IOS. Up until today there was still some question as to whether or not I was going to keep this pro max, but an article I read today about some new privacy settings coming in IOS 14 are enough to seal this deal. I will work with various solutions and arrive at one that will work.

I can understand somewhat that IOS may be easier to work. When I first thought about switching to IOS I bought an iPhone SE just to try out the new OS. But I realized quickly that the tiny and lower resolution screen were not ok for me, even for testing purposes so I immediately went for this pro max.
My point is that when I had to move from the SE to this phone I learned that all I had to do was connect the two phones and have the one populate the new one. I was stunned by how complete and fast the process was. Samsung has Smart Switch but that process is nowhere near as complete and simple as this one.

I may be a bit of a pain for awhile in these forums as I may have a lot of questions.

BTW, I have a Sammy Watch Active 2 which I was very concerned about it functioning with the pro max but having downloaded the Samsung Wearables app from the store it is functioning really well.

When I last switched over I had the Active 2 as well, it does work ok with the apple system but I would look into selling the active watch and getting at least a series 4 apple watch, or wait till the 6 drops and pick up a series 5 cheaper.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Don’t worry about asking too many questions... they are more than welcome!

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
When I last switched over I had the Active 2 as well, it does work ok with the apple system but I would look into selling the active watch and getting at least a series 4 apple watch, or wait till the 6 drops and pick up a series 5 cheaper.

The Apple Watch is not in the running. Their battery life is a dealbreaker for me. The watch Active gives me two days but I’ve been looking at the Amazfit QTR.

I like the Apple Watch feature wise, don’t like it looks wise but heart rate and ecg would be good to have. I had open heart surgery 2 1/2 years ago with a valve replacement and an aortic aneurysm repair. So good heart monitoring features are a big plus, but not getting even a day out of the battery is a definite no from me.

I have to say that IOS and this 11 Pro Max are growing on me just bit by bit every day.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone, how are you finding the transition?

The Apple Watch is not in the running. Their battery life is a dealbreaker for me. The watch Active gives me two days but I’ve been looking at the Amazfit QTR.

I like the Apple Watch feature wise, don’t like it looks wise but heart rate and ecg would be good to have. I had open heart surgery 2 1/2 years ago with a valve replacement and an aortic aneurysm repair. So good heart monitoring features are a big plus, but not getting even a day out of the battery is a definite no from me.

I have to say that IOS and this 11 Pro Max are growing on me just bit by bit every day.

I would test it out an Apple Watch first, you might be surprised as to which one you decide to keep.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

After getting my Apple Watch 5, I was initially appalled by the short battery life. Now, after ~5 months of daily use, I have to say

1. it lasts 1 full day for me. 2 exercising sessions per day (time, distance, pulse, steps and route tracking) and all the other stuff you usually do with it in 14 hours or so, and it still has 20 to 30% battery left when I put it on the charger over night.
2. the whole concept is really, really good.

I would reconsider.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

I will agree that the active 2 has a better battery life but that's about it. I can squeeze 2 days out of my watch if I have to, but I just charge it every night, I have a nice little charging stand so why not use it right lol. When it comes to looks/design the square body works so much better, at least to me, for my wrist when being active or at my job typing. I will say the Apple watch has better wifi handoff than the Samsung, I've never really had an issue with the AW not picking up text or notifications when outside of the bluetooth range bc it switches to wifi so quick and easily. The samsung watch I had whether apple or samsung phone, seemed like it could never connect to wifi to retrieve notifications even though wifi setting was selected for auto switch. So I would highly recommend trying one out for a week or week and half, if you don't like it then you can always return it :)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I will agree that the active 2 has a better battery life but that's about it. I can squeeze 2 days out of my watch if I have to, but I just charge it every night, I have a nice little charging stand so why not use it right lol. When it comes to looks/design the square body works so much better, at least to me, for my wrist when being active or at my job typing. I will say the Apple watch has better wifi handoff than the Samsung, I've never really had an issue with the AW not picking up text or notifications when outside of the bluetooth range bc it switches to wifi so quick and easily. The samsung watch I had whether apple or samsung phone, seemed like it could never connect to wifi to retrieve notifications even though wifi setting was selected for auto switch. So I would highly recommend trying one out for a week or week and half, if you don't like it then you can always return it :)

If I switch off lte and don’t use any apps, such as activity app, streaming music, etc or Apple Ecosystem features; I could get 2 and a half days out of my Apple Watch.

You get great battery life if you barely use your Apple Watch.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
The things I use on my watch are the steps counter, heart rate monitor, stress level and sleep monitor. So, putting watch on a charger overnight is a no go.

I don’t care one wit about lte, using the watch as a phone, receiving or answering notices or texts on the watch, listening to music from the watch.

But, the things I do use the watch for are very critical to me. Does the Apple Watch even do sleep monitoring?

If I could wear the watch all day and then do a one hour charge before bed and then a full charge again in the morning I could probably work with that.

Something to understand about me is that i don’t care about brand loyalty. I’m not a fanboy for Samsung or Apple or Google or IOS. I buy and use what works for me and my needs.

Right now I think the Apple ecosystem seems to offer a lot of advantages for me and my needs. I know how well the various Apple products work with each other. I saw a great demonstration of that when moving from my initial purchase of the SE to this Pro Max.

It’s difficult to move from Android to IOS just because of my complete comfort level with the Android OS and now having to forget 12 years of knowledge and learn another very different OS in the form of IOS. But here I am and prepared to do just that.

Thanks to all for the support and suggestions. I am reading them and giving all of them consideration.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The things I use on my watch are the steps counter, heart rate monitor, stress level and sleep monitor. So, putting watch on a charger overnight is a no go.

I don’t care one wit about lte, using the watch as a phone, receiving or answering notices or texts on the watch, listening to music from the watch.

But, the things I do use the watch for are very critical to me. Does the Apple Watch even do sleep monitoring?

If I could wear the watch all day and then do a one hour charge before bed and then a full charge again in the morning I could probably work with that.

Something to understand about me is that i don’t care about brand loyalty. I’m not a fanboy for Samsung or Apple or Google or IOS. I buy and use what works for me and my needs.

Right now I think the Apple ecosystem seems to offer a lot of advantages for me and my needs. I know how well the various Apple products work with each other. I saw a great demonstration of that when moving from my initial purchase of the SE to this Pro Max.

It’s difficult to move from Android to IOS just because of my complete comfort level with the Android OS and now having to forget 12 years of knowledge and learn another very different OS in the form of IOS. But here I am and prepared to do just that.

Thanks to all for the support and suggestions. I am reading them and giving all of them consideration.

Just as suspected.
With your current usage case, two days with an Apple Watch before you need to charge it.

Best of luck.

Sleep tracking will be coming with an update in a couple of weeks or you can download the beta for early access.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi and welcome to iMore! I hope you enjoy your new iPhone. I currently have the S4, and charge an hour before bed to reach 100%. I wear overnight to sleep track and top up in the morning, while I’m showering and getting ready for work. I never charge my watch overnight as I wear it. I haven’t had my watch die on me in months.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative