New here - New to iPhone

dancing-bass

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Greetings from another "new to iOS, coming in from Android" member. I'm currently waiting for some stuff to transfer over to my new 11 (just the regular, non-pro version). I used to spend a LOT of time in the AC forums back in the day, but that was Android 4.0 to about 6 or so. Lots of ROMing, helping others where I could, but I slowly stopped posting and interacting.

Anyway, I just figured I'd say hello.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I was on Android Central for eleven years. Still am I guess as I still have this account there. I used to do a lot of ROM’ing but as Android improved that was necessary anymore starting a few years ago.

There are some areas in Android/Samsung that I find far superior and others that I’m finding IOS to be better. But my biggie concern, privacy, is where IOS has Android on the ropes. Privacy is huge for me and when I read about new privacy in IOS 14 that’s what brought me to this 11 Pro Max.

I always ran the Android betas on my Galaxy S phones so I went ahead and signed up for and installed IOS 14 beta 4 on this phone.

It actually seems somewhat familiar as it borrows a number of things that I’m used to on Android. IOS 14 feels more natural to me than IOS 13.6 which came on the phone or IOS 13.6.1 that it upgraded to shortly after I got it.

I like the Widgets and the App Library. Both seem to me like old home week.

dancing-bass

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
It actually seems somewhat familiar as it borrows a number of things that I’m used to on Android. IOS 14 feels more natural to me than IOS 13.6 which came on the phone or IOS 13.6.1 that it upgraded to shortly after I got it.

I’m actually very tempted to grab the beta simply because there are so many android-like features. And beta 5 sounds like it’s pretty stable unlike beta 4....

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Well, I’m so new to IOS that I’m not hitting it too hard. Mostly just working my way around various settings and still getting the setup to my comfort level, but I can tell you that I’m not seeing issues in the things I’m working with and using on a daily basis.

Can’t tell you about the beta 4 issue but I deliberately did not download that version because of what I read about it in various forums. Beta 5 seems somewhat polished and working well for me.

dancing-bass

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I’m doing the same thing - basic setup, logging into everything, transfer app data over (WhatsApp is a royal PITA!) and getting the feel of everything...

2 things I’m noticing:

1) I keep reaching for the fingerprint reader (habit from my Pixel 2XL) but the phone unlocks about the same time I remember there is no fingerprint reader
2) I think I might miss my camera shortcut... double tap power button anywhere, any time, in any app, and the camera opens. Haven’t seen anything like that yet. There is the quick access from the lock screen but nothing I’ve seen that would work across the entire UI

Otherwise I’m liking it, just have to take a few moments here and there to remember this isn’t Android anymore, and so far that’s a good thing

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! My 2 cents...the reason iMore isn’t very active is that there just isn’t much to talk about during the “off season.” Things pick up after the keynote and through the delivery of the new stuff but that’s about it. Having been on CB and AC most of the discussions were people defending their choices and just tons of controversy. I miss heated forum discussions, but I like having a device I can depend on even more :). Also, props for the Fascinate mention! My first Android phone was it’s T-Mobile brother, the Vibrant.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I mentioned the Fascinate as my first android phone but it was not my first phone. I had bag phones back in the early nineties and then to flip phones and then on to Windows 1.0 “smartphones”.

Bag phones were a real trip but pretty amazing technology back then.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Yep, I’m doing the same thing - basic setup, logging into everything, transfer app data over (WhatsApp is a royal PITA!) and getting the feel of everything...

2 things I’m noticing:

1) I keep reaching for the fingerprint reader (habit from my Pixel 2XL) but the phone unlocks about the same time I remember there is no fingerprint reader
2) I think I might miss my camera shortcut... double tap power button anywhere, any time, in any app, and the camera opens. Haven’t seen anything like that yet. There is the quick access from the lock screen but nothing I’ve seen that would work across the entire UI

Otherwise I’m liking it, just have to take a few moments here and there to remember this isn’t Android anymore, and so far that’s a good thing

You can add a quick launch button to the drop down menu.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

2 things I’m noticing:

This might address your 2):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRhslOC55k

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Sweet, I just loaded up the beta last night. And the camera shortcut works perfectly!

Ok, looks interesting. I’ve looked at the video a few times but I’m not understanding setting up the shortcut. How do you setup a shortcut that brings up the camera? I would like to approximate the way I had my S20 +. I could swipe left from the midsection of the screen and that would turn the screen off without having to touch the button. Is it possible to set up a shortcut so that a double or triple touch would turn off the screen?

Also, with the touch, does the phone have to already be on or does it work with the phone off?

dancing-bass

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, looks interesting. I’ve looked at the video a few times but I’m not understanding setting up the shortcut. How do you setup a shortcut that brings up the camera? I would like to approximate the way I had my S20 +. I could swipe left from the midsection of the screen and that would turn the screen off without having to touch the button. Is it possible to set up a shortcut so that a double or triple touch would turn off the screen?

Also, with the touch, does the phone have to already be on or does it work with the phone off?

This is where Android does have an advantage with customization. I don’t think there’s a way to have a swipe turn off the screen (unless jail breaking allows for that sort of thing, but I’m not gonna try it).

As for the camera shortcut the phone does have to be unlocked. It doesn’t work screen off, and if you try it on the Lock Screen, it won’t open the camera until you unlock it. But it DOES seem to work consistently even in apps (and I just tried it while typing this mid sentence with no problem). I used the shortcut app and set the shortcut to open the camera-it says “take a photo” but just opens the camera without triggering the shutter. Then I went into the accessibility menu to activate the back tap. I didn’t bother setting up anything for a triple tap but it’s nice having that option if I want it. Hoped that helps. Just remember you’re not gonna screw anything up because of how iOS operates - android always had that risk especially back in the early days

313451f3a168db4d0882271d1a0ff4c0.jpg

DKatman

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK - I think I am coming from my S9+ over to the 12 Pro Max in a couple months - I don't think I want to jump on an 11 before they are about to come out.

I have been really interested in knowing about the new Photo Widget - Is it just a static photo or can the widget actually change pictures from a folder at a given interval?

That is actually the one feature I have loved an made me move on from my Iphone X back to Android - Well, not completely true - I felt the iPhone had no Soul - Android was just more fun - But also, functionality is nice too - But I really feel that decent widgets should give me enough individuality.

Thanks.
Dave

Yeah, I was on Android Central for eleven years. Still am I guess as I still have this account there. I used to do a lot of ROM’ing but as Android improved that was necessary anymore starting a few years ago.

There are some areas in Android/Samsung that I find far superior and others that I’m finding IOS to be better. But my biggie concern, privacy, is where IOS has Android on the ropes. Privacy is huge for me and when I read about new privacy in IOS 14 that’s what brought me to this 11 Pro Max.

I always ran the Android betas on my Galaxy S phones so I went ahead and signed up for and installed IOS 14 beta 4 on this phone.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I’ve found something on IOS that has solved a lot of my issues with lack of gestures on IOS, or at least the ones I wanted like a one tap screen lock.

IOS has an AssistedTouch feature in Settings -> Accessibility that can do amazing things to supply shortcuts and quick menus. I’ve only setup one thing so far but now when I top a bottom on the screen my phone screen turns off. I hate having to click the button for that because each click is just more wet and tear on the physical button. The AssistedTouch utility can do great stuff with just a little imagination.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I use Apple Music. I have it free bring with Verizon. I love it. I have downloaded many of my favorite CD’s Never an issue with Apple Mysic

I switched from Samsung to Apple 5 yrs ago. Very happy.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Welcome. This is a great group of people. I left the Samsung world 5 tears ago. Love my 11 Max pro

I use Apple Music. All my favorites I downloaded . And it’s free on Verizon. At least it’s been that way for for a long time.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My battery life is good on my Apple Watch. I only get notifications on what I want. It lasts me all day. I do charge it every night. I love the Apple Watch. It’s the best out there in my opinion and I had Samsung prior

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I’ve been a member over at Android Central for 11 years having had every Samsung flagship phone starting with the Fascinate through every single Galaxy S model and a couple of the Note series phones.

I’m tired of Google (and Samsung) being up in my face with hauling in all of my data and selling my data and pushing ads in my face every two seconds. So, here I am, bought myself an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

A couple of things right off, I’m surprised and disappointed with these forums. The Sammy forums on the sister android site are active but these forums seem a lot less active. I’ve been lurking here for the last week (since I got this iPhone) and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of activity.

Since IOS is something completely new to me I was hoping for forums where I could ask a lot of questions and maybe get some help and/or answers as I try to get to a comfort level with using a new OS.

Anyway, here I am and I do recognize a couple of names in here that I’ve seen over a n the Samsung forums.

My last phone was a Samsung S20+ which I haven’t sold yet (just I case).

So far I’m really liking this 11pro max, the one critical issue I’m having is with iTunes. iTunes is a dumpster fire and I have a massive music collection which I manually managed with android but iTunes is miserable and the one issue that might break this new relationship with IOS.

Welcome to the Dark Side! Thanks for your soul
I’d suggest uploading your music into Google Music, then, from there, you can have it on iTunes!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen