Keeping the iPhone 11 Pro Max

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
For the first time in a long time I'm considering paying off iPhone 11 Pro Max and keeping it for longer than one year. Iv'e always had the lastest and greatest, but after thinking about what I do with my device I have too much tech in this thing than I need to begin with. Anyone else feel that way? I'll have to resist the new tech bug when the new model comes out in October. :rotfl:

I’ve updated yearly. I’ve even done the X to XS Max only to regret the move up in size and take a hit getting the XS because I couldn’t get my trade back. I’m using the 11 Pro now and couldn’t agree more with you except on one point. I literally only use my phone for calls, text, and email. I don’t need anything else so could certainly get by for a couple years with the 11 Pro. However, if the 5.4” fits right in the hand, it will hard to stay away. My 11 Pro is paid off and unlocked. Based on estimated iPhone 12 5.4” pricing I could likely make the move for little or no cost. I guess we’ll see.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree about the ecosystem. I have the series 5 watch, AirPods, MacBook (older), and an older ipad. But they all flow together smoothly. I do like the big screen that Samsung has to offer and the pen is a neat little gadget. But when my mom or dad wants to send me a video of my daughter while they are watching her, I want it to come in non-grainy, and that’s why I stick with Apple.

Been going back and forth for years on end, always return to Apple. Not by choice! Once I settled down in life, got married and had kids, there is nothing like iMessage when it comes to video messaging. Same with FaceTime. Try getting every family member ranging from 18-70 years old to use a third party app. Will never happen, so I'm stuck. Not to mention the ecosystem really is unmatched. Yes Android is fun and can change things up to not be so stale...but...it's a phone. I don't need to change my icons or wallpaper frequently, that's not what is important to me these days.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Been going back and forth for years on end, always return to Apple. Not by choice! Once I settled down in life, got married and had kids, there is nothing like iMessage when it comes to video messaging. Same with FaceTime. Try getting every family member ranging from 18-70 years old to use a third party app. Will never happen, so I'm stuck. Not to mention the ecosystem really is unmatched. Yes Android is fun and can change things up to not be so stale...but...it's a phone. I don't need to change my icons or wallpaper frequently, that's not what is important to me these days.

I agree with trying to get everyone in the family to use third party apps, just isn’t going to happen. I did tryout the Note 20 ultra lasted about 24 hours then took it back. It took great photos but the screen was off. Either overly saturated or to cool/bluish. Then with the blue light filter on it was overly warm and dark. I’m hoping for the 12 pro max to be released soon.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree with trying to get everyone in the family to use third party apps, just isn’t going to happen. I did tryout the Note 20 ultra lasted about 24 hours then took it back. It took great photos but the screen was off. Either overly saturated or to cool/bluish. Then with the blue light filter on it was overly warm and dark. I’m hoping for the 12 pro max to be released soon.

There's no doubt Samsung has the nicest hardware and their displays are amazing to look at. Can't really say that for the iPhones but again, what's inside that Samsung and other Android's just can't come close to Apple. I always wanted the flashy gorgeous phone that looked different than everyone elses' homescreens did. But now I'm just sticking to the simplicity of Apple doing what it does best behind that boring homescreen ha

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
There's no doubt Samsung has the nicest hardware and their displays are amazing to look at. Can't really say that for the iPhones but again, what's inside that Samsung and other Android's just can't come close to Apple. I always wanted the flashy gorgeous phone that looked different than everyone elses' homescreens did. But now I'm just sticking to the simplicity of Apple doing what it does best behind that boring homescreen ha

My display on the Note 20 ultra I tried didn’t look as good as my iPhone. The colors where way off.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
From the comparisons I have seen, it is obvious Samsung cut a lot of corners with the current note line, probably because they are giving up on the note. The screen looks washed out and overly saturated on the note compared to the iPhone 11, it’s actually pretty bad when the color blue is displayed as green.

6c394667b19bd42411a13ec681f84f03.jpg

521d582e9c59aa9d0d3d2bcfd6e0d899.jpg

ac49ff52cb2d3e6940def93a1e236b31.jpg

No idea why some claim Samsung has the best screens, when in reality not so much.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
From the comparisons I have seen, it is obvious Samsung cut a lot of corners with the current note line, probably because they are giving up on the note. The screen looks washed out and overly saturated on the note compared to the iPhone 11, it’s actually pretty bad when the color blue is displayed as green.

6c394667b19bd42411a13ec681f84f03.jpg

521d582e9c59aa9d0d3d2bcfd6e0d899.jpg

ac49ff52cb2d3e6940def93a1e236b31.jpg

No idea why some claim Samsung has the best screens, when in reality not so much.

The last Samsung I used was the S10 and it had an amazing screen just like the note 9 did, in my eyes. If they cut corners on the note 20 ultra then that is inexcusable for a $1300+ phone

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had the s10, note 10+ 5G, and the s20 +. After I bought this 11 pro max 3 weeks ago I still had the Note 10+ 5G and the s20+ so I did compare the screens side by side. The 11 Pro Max wins over the Note 10 but the s20+ and the Pro Max are a pretty even matchup. The Sammy is incredibly adjustable when I comes to color accuracy and saturation and I find a lot of people like over saturated screens. I call that one a tie but I prefer the way the pro max screen looked out of the box.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The Sammy is incredibly adjustable when I comes to color accuracy and saturation and I find a lot of people like over saturated screens. I call that one a tie but I prefer the way the pro max screen looked out of the box.

DIY isn’t a feature. iOS handles color profiles automatically so the user does not have to.

If an iPhone user prefers a more saturated display, they can increase the saturation themselves. It’s pretty easy.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the apple watch series 6. I been reading rumors about the iPhone 12 and honestly, none of the rumored (pretty much confirmed) features excite me enough to upgrade from the 11 Pro Max. I want to get hyped but I don't know I am just pretty content with the 11 Pro Max for another year. I am an Apple fan and everything but maybe me getting older and not so trigger happy with expensive tech purchases has changed me LOL.

iPhone 12 Features

- 5G
-Upgraded Cameras
-iPhone 4/5 like design
-6.7 Inch Screen (for Max version)
-120 hz refresh

(Smaller phone sizes for those that like that).

Of those features the only ones that interest me are the camera and redesign. I can live without 5G for another year, the 120 HZ thing doesn't seem like a huge deal (for me) and I have no interest in the smaller screen sizes and the bigger 6.7 inch is cool but not enough to make me go wow. Maybe I am weird but I think I will be happy with my 11 Pro Max until fall 2021.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered the apple watch series 6. I been reading rumors about the iPhone 12 and honestly, none of the rumored (pretty much confirmed) features excite me enough to upgrade from the 11 Pro Max. I want to get hyped but I don't know I am just pretty content with the 11 Pro Max for another year. I am an Apple fan and everything but maybe me getting older and not so trigger happy with expensive tech purchases has changed me LOL.

iPhone 12 Features

- 5G
-Upgraded Cameras
-iPhone 4/5 like design
-6.7 Inch Screen (for Max version)
-120 hz refresh

(Smaller phone sizes for those that like that).

Of those features the only ones that interest me are the camera and redesign. I can live without 5G for another year, the 120 HZ thing doesn't seem like a huge deal (for me) and I have no interest in the smaller screen sizes and the bigger 6.7 inch is cool but not enough to make me go wow. Maybe I am weird but I think I will be happy with my 11 Pro Max until fall 2021.

Unfortunately I’ve seen rumors on 9to5 Mac that the 120HZ isn’t coming this year. That’s what I really wanted, that and the upgraded cameras. Also would like to see the notch get reduced. I tried out the Note 20 ultra and the small hole punch and big 6.8 screen was cool.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I’ve seen rumors on 9to5 Mac that the 120HZ isn’t coming this year. That’s what I really wanted, that and the upgraded cameras.

120hz is useless without apps to take advantage of it.

Films and games are all 60hz, with the exception of one or two games. Having said that the note still struggles with 60hz in games due to the inferior processor(dropped frames and lag), it can’t sustain games in 120hz without any optimization even if the game offers 120hz.

So once more no idea why it’s even a talking a point in 2020.

I tried out the Note 20 ultra and the small hole punch and big 6.8 screen was cool.

It’s a preference. I can’t stand the hole punch display because it looks like a bunch of dead pixels on the screen. The cutout for the notch is exactly that, a cut out, it does not look like dead pixels on the the center top part of the display.

The current notes display is also overly saturated making blues look green. With that and the curved display it can’t compete with iPhone, even last years iPhone 11 Pro Max, let alone this years iPhone 12.

To be frank the notes have already been discounted and second hand values here in the UK have already plunged by about 50% 2-3 weeks after launch. Looks like another flop for Samsung this year no matter what some fanboys claim. The same fans that claimed the iPhone X was too expensive at 999.

5cdb501d31c50546875fae8a7cf64e1f.jpg

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Refresh rates are a screen specification and requires nothing from an app. Whether the screen redraws itself 60 times a second or 120 times a second is a screen spec. Apps have nothing to do with it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Refresh rates are a screen specification and requires nothing from an app. Whether the screen redraws itself 60 times a second or 120 times a second is a screen spec. Apps have nothing to do with it.

That’s incorrect. Not really surprising though I believe you were an android user.

149de30b230293479e0472528e01758e.jpg

4a1fce4c3b33fc89f1d41bdff838b11c.jpg

Once again, 120 hz displays on phones are practically worthless until more apps are optimized to take advantage of the refresh rates.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I’ve seen rumors on 9to5 Mac that the 120HZ isn’t coming this year. That’s what I really wanted, that and the upgraded cameras. Also would like to see the notch get reduced. I tried out the Note 20 ultra and the small hole punch and big 6.8 screen was cool.

Yea I heard that 120HZ is not gonna make it this year. Which for me is confirming my decision to hold out until iPhone 13 LOL.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I just got this phone about 3 months ago. I love it. Love the screen size and the clarity, like the speed and the battery life is impressive. I will keep this phone for at least a couple of years and see which iPhone I would want to upgrade to after this one